pre-cruise question

Big Easy

Has anyone had the experience of purchasing the pre-cruise package offered by Viking when it comes to air arrangements? Since our desired package would mean flying in 2 days early, does Viking allow you to choose the flights? Or does Viking also charge for that option as well? Without a pre-cruise package, our Viking air would have us flying on the Sunday after Thanksgiving. This being one of the busiest travel days in the year, we'd sure like to avoid travel that day. Of course I can put this question to Viking, but just thought maybe someone had a similar experience.

I think this answers your question. Depending if custom air is available for your cruise, if you want to choose your flights, you pay the custom air fee. If you choose to arrive other than Day 1 of your package, then you pay a deviation fee as well, and lose Viking transfers. If you want to choose flights other than what Viking is offering at their air fare deal price, you may also pay additional air fare..

Has anyone had the experience of purchasing the pre-cruise package offered by Viking when it comes to air arrangements? Since our desired package would mean flying in 2 days early, does Viking allow you to choose the flights? Or does Viking also charge for that option as well? Without a pre-cruise package, our Viking air would have us flying on the Sunday after Thanksgiving. This being one of the busiest travel days in the year, we'd sure like to avoid travel that day. Of course I can put this question to Viking, but just thought maybe someone had a similar experience.

What is your port for the begining of your cruise? If it is San Juan, Viking does not offer custom air. But if you are going to book Viking pre-cruise extension then you will fly in two night early, get hotel, breakfast, transfers and not pay the additional $100 pp for deviation separately.

We are doing a post cruise extension for that very reason from BCN to MSP in April 2018. But the extension has not opened up yet for my sailing. It will in a couple of weeks. Custom air fee of $50.pp would be addtional if I want to pick my flight times from Barcelona, a custom air city for Viking.

I would not want to fly anywhere in the US on the Sunday after Thanksgiving!

What is your port for the begining of your cruise? If it is San Juan, Viking does not offer custom air. But if you are going to book Viking pre-cruise extension then you will fly in two night early, get hotel, breakfast, transfers and not pay the additional $100 pp for deviation separately.

We are doing a post cruise extension for that very reason from BCN to MSP in April 2018. But the extension has not opened up yet for my sailing. It will in a couple of weeks. Custom air fee of $50.pp would be addtional if I want to pick my flight times from Barcelona, a custom air city for Viking.

I would not want to fly anywhere in the US on the Sunday after Thanksgiving!

Thanks for the info Azulann - We fly from New Orleans to Miami for the cruise. Hopefully Viking will offer custom air from here as it's one of their gateway cities. We too hate to fly on that Sunday. When I look at airfares on that Sunday to Miami, they are incredibly expensive. Sounds like y'all are doing a transatlantic. Wishing everyone a safe, relaxing, enjoyable trip. We did a 15 day transatlantic from Rome to Rio on Oceania a few years ago. Our concern was 4 consecutive days at sea might drive us "stir crazy", but it really didn't.

Thanks for the info Azulann - We fly from New Orleans to Miami for the cruise. Hopefully Viking will offer custom air from here as it's one of their gateway cities. We too hate to fly on that Sunday. When I look at airfares on that Sunday to Miami, they are incredibly expensive. Sounds like y'all are doing a transatlantic. Wishing everyone a safe, relaxing, enjoyable trip. We did a 15 day transatlantic from Rome to Rio on Oceania a few years ago. Our concern was 4 consecutive days at sea might drive us "stir crazy", but it really didn't.

Check with Viking to find out if custom air is available for your itinerary. It isn't about the gateway but about the destination or the airfare deal--and since the airfare is free, you may find that custom air is not available.

Big Easy,

You are welcome. We will have 6 sea days in a row! I am smitten with the Viking ships so am glad I will be able to really enjoy the time aboard plus the great ports of calls. You should be fine with your extensiona nd custom air. Enjoy!!!!!!

I am sailing on the same Nov. 26 cruise from Miami. The round trip air was free but we are traveling from Arizona and did not want to experience a whole day of travel and then sailing the same day. In fact, it could have even been an overnight flight. Our only option was to pay for the deviation which we did and we are flying on Saturday rather than Sunday. We will still not be able to choose our actual flight because the domestic air plan does not offer the custom feature - that is only for international flights.

Still, I was willing to lose the transfers from the airport to the ship. That is a minimal expense and from the hotel on Sunday we can either use the hotel's shuttle for $10.p,p, or take Uber for no more than $15. total.

On the return we are sticking with Viking's schedule on Sunday Dec.10th and they will then provide transportation from the pier to the airport as well.

Just to clarify, deviation is changing the arrival and/or departure date and, as amused said, you will lose your Viking transfer when you travel other than embarkation or debarkation day.

Custom air, when available, allows you to choose your own flights.

Just as a side note, custom air was not available for San Juan. We did request, through our travel agent, that our flights depart really early in the day so that we could arrive in San Juan by mid-afternoon. I don't know whether it was coincidental, but our flights were what we asked for.

Just to clarify, deviation is changing the arrival and/or departure date and, as amused said, you will lose your Viking transfer when you travel other than embarkation or debarkation day.

Custom air, when available, allows you to choose your own flights.

Just as a side note, custom air was not available for San Juan. We did request, through our travel agent, that our flights depart really early in the day so that we could arrive in San Juan by mid-afternoon. I don't know whether it was coincidental, but our flights were what we asked for.

As the OP, the issue dealt with purchasing a pre-cruise package offered by Viking. With that all 3 transfers are included. My hope was to select the flights with such a package even it meant a reasonable charge by Viking. AA offers 1 non-stop each day from New Orleans to Miami (and on the return) at an ideal time. Thanks for everyone's input.

As the OP, the issue dealt with purchasing a pre-cruise package offered by Viking. With that all 3 transfers are included. My hope was to select the flights with such a package even it meant a reasonable charge by Viking. AA offers 1 non-stop each day from New Orleans to Miami (and on the return) at an ideal time. Thanks for everyone's input.

Good luck with your flights. Let us kow how it all worked out on your flights from New Orleans to Miami for your sailing this Fall.:)

I have another question re Viking-arranged air travel. We are offered free air travel to an international embarkation city. We want to arrive a day or two early so as to make sure we do not miss the ship in the event of plane delays. On the trip we change planes in another European city. Is it possible to stay in that city a couple of days and then resume the trip to the embarkation city? We are paying the custom air and deviation fees. thanks.

I have another question re Viking-arranged air travel. We are offered free air travel to an international embarkation city. We want to arrive a day or two early so as to make sure we do not miss the ship in the event of plane delays. On the trip we change planes in another European city. Is it possible to stay in that city a couple of days and then resume the trip to the embarkation city? We are paying the custom air and deviation fees. thanks.

I think the safest answer to your question is that you should ask the folks at Viking Air directly. They can tell you what can and cannot be done under the rules of your particular air package.