Sharing drinks

lupaglupa

One of the restaurants I enjoy is Sizzler. When they have the all you can eat shrimp special, I have a great meal. MyDW orders the salad bar because she enjoys salad. But she always picks 20-30 shrimp off my plate.

This drives me crazy, because my brain (ethics) tells me this is stealing. She thinks it is okay, because Sizzler charges so much for the salad bar. Would you do it?

A friend of mine goes to McDonalds daily and orders a sandwich. He uses an old cup and refills his drink without paying. He feels they charge so much for the sandwich the drink should be included. I think it is theft.

My aunt is 85. We go to Hometown Buffer once in a while. She collects napkins, then takes steak, ham, potatoes, fish and cookies then wraps them in the napkins and puts them in her purse. She has enough food for another meal for her and her husband. She says they charge seniors too much because seniors don't eat that much at one time. Sorry, auntie, that is theft.

Who is right in the above situations? I guess sharing that drink card is like sharing the shrimp, taking the soda without paying or carrying a couple meals in your purse. Sure you can justify it, but you know that ethically it is wrong. You know it is theft.

If you find my I-Phone on the ship, please return it. Don't think it is a free gift from the cruise line.

I agree with your thoughts. People will justify it in their mind to make it ok when they know it's wrong.

One of the restaurants I enjoy is Sizzler. When they have the all you can eat shrimp special, I have a great meal. MyDW orders the salad bar because she enjoys salad. But she always picks 20-30 shrimp off my plate.

This drives me crazy, because my brain (ethics) tells me this is stealing. She thinks it is okay, because Sizzler charges so much for the salad bar. Would you do it?

A friend of mine goes to McDonalds daily and orders a sandwich. He uses an old cup and refills his drink without paying. He feels they charge so much for the sandwich the drink should be included. I think it is theft.

I'll add one.

Mike gives the bar man on board $20. After this the bar man gives Mike extra alcohol in his drinks or doesn't charge him for the occasional drink. From reading many threads on here and speaking to people on board most people appear to me to think this is tipping and so fair game. Is this not the same as sharing a drink package?

Edited by woodyren

My aunt is 85. We go to Hometown Buffer once in a while. She collects napkins, then takes steak, ham, potatoes, fish and cookies then wraps them in the napkins and puts them in her purse. She has enough food for another meal for her and her husband. She says they charge seniors too much because seniors don't eat that much at one time. Sorry, auntie, that is theft.

Who is right in the above situations? I guess sharing that drink card is like sharing the shrimp, taking the soda without paying or carrying a couple meals in your purse. Sure you can justify it, but you know that ethically it is wrong. You know it is theft.

If you find my I-Phone on the ship, please return it. Don't think it is a free gift from the cruise line.

I agree with you that each of these examples are stealing. In each, someone is taking something they have not paid for.

I'll add one.

Mike gives the bar man on board $20. After this the bar man gives Mike extra alcohol in his drinks or doesn't charge him for the occasional drink. From reading many threads on here and speaking to people on board most people appear to me to think this is tipping and so fair game. Is this not the same as sharing a drink package?

"Now John At The Bar Is A Friend Of Mine...He Gets Me My Drinks For Free"

Edited by Wakepatrol

I'll add one.

Let's see... Off the top of my head:

1. There are no drink package involved.

2. Mike isn't sharing drinks.

3. Mike appears to be paying for most of his drinks.

That's three right off the bat. There could be more.

Realistically, the bartender would probably have a hard time surviving liquor inventory. When whatever Mike drank came up short over and over again,you'd probably be minus one bartender.

I completely LOVE threads like these! The sides are drawn, the opinions are thrown about as if they are god's good wisdom, and those who disagree would be marched out in orange jump suits to be beheaded. :rolleyes:

Without a doubt this has got to be the most insensitive and cringeworthy comment I have ever read on Cruise Critic. It actually made my stomach turn. There are families out there who are affected terribly by recent news events and they are hurting enough without seeing someone using their tragedy as an attempt at humour.

I'll add one.

Not quite. One is theft and the other is bribery to encourage theft. Mike isn't the one that's stealing directly, although he is guilty of inducing it. And if it wasn't Mike's intent to get some sort of favorable treatment by his bribery (HA!) he would refuse the "free" drinks.

Now if the bartender is the bar owner, that changes the gift reciprocity completely.

Edited by jtl513

Isn't that the same thing? There were many abusing the unlimited soda card by having a whole family/group share one card that was sold to be used by one person. By doing that, the cruise line was losing money. It was to be one person per card and half dozen (or more) were using it :eek: and that equals loss of profits.

Good point. Note the fact that now if you purchase the Signature Beverage Package, all the adults staying in the cabin with you MUST also purchase it - to avoid sharing I am sure.

Without a doubt this has got to be the most insensitive and cringeworthy comment I have ever read on Cruise Critic. It actually made my stomach turn. There are families out there who are affected terribly by recent news events and they are hurting enough without seeing someone using their tragedy as an attempt at humour.

For whatever reason, I was unable to copy the original quote in this post (about parading people in orange jumpsuits and then beheading them) but I agree 100% with the comment above. When I read it, I couldn't believe someone could be so cold-hearted about such a tragedy. I'm so glad to see that other CC members were repulsed by it, too.