Galapagos Cruise "A" Port or Starboard? forward or midship?

Sailkeywest

Hello :)

Hubby and I are planning a trip to the Galapagos on Celebrity Xpedition for Dec 2014 and from what I have read, the cabin size is not of a huge matter secondary to this cruise being port-intensive. However, I was wondering if anyone with experience had a preference as to choosing a port or starboard room?

Also, I am debating between choosing the XO cabin located at the front starboard side of the ship, or an XD cabin located as far back as possible (which in this case, is midship).

Anyone with any experience with Celebrity in the Galapagos have any opinions?

Any and all input is appreciated :)

Hubby and I are planning a trip to the Galapagos on Celebrity Xpedition for Dec 2014 and from what I have read, the cabin size is not of a huge matter secondary to this cruise being port-intensive. However, I was wondering if anyone with experience had a preference as to choosing a port or starboard room?

Also, I am debating between choosing the XO cabin located at the front starboard side of the ship, or an XD cabin located as far back as possible (which in this case, is midship).

Opinion: FANTASTIC trip. The main downside is there is so much to see and do that you need a vacation after. Port versus starboard is a wash. We booked XO [cheapest], but when we boarded got "stuck" with an XS.

LOTS of info at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1504555&page=24 You can get any and every conceivable question answered there.

enjoy

Thom

Opinion: FANTASTIC trip. The main downside is there is so much to see and do that you need a vacation after. Port versus starboard is a wash. We booked XO [cheapest], but when we boarded got "stuck" with an XS.

LOTS of info at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1504555&page=24 You can get any and every conceivable question answered there.

enjoy

Thom

Side of ship does not matter. You board by Zodiac and all tours are by Zodiac. There is no "port" the ship stays at sea. The scenery is outstanding no matter where you are. If Luly is the on board masseuse, use her. Best masage I ever had.... Room size is secondary. We stayed on Deck all the time for the scenery and cocktails

Enjoy

:)

I would not book the XO cabins due to possible anchor chain noise. XD is perfect and I couldn't find any reason to upgrade above that...no, you don't need a balcony :) .... you'll never be in your cabin. I think we were in 302 or 304 and had no noise at all.

It's a wonderful trip....enjoy.

This is a wonderful trip. I would not take any cabin that is located at the front of the ship. The anchor is dropped a couple of times a day. We had a balcony on our cruise and it was nice, the cabin was much bigger. I only know this as several people wanted to see our cabin to see the size. And they all comment on the size. I thought it was on the small size, but once I saw the other cabins it was bigger. Now would I ever get another balcony if we would take this cruise again. Probably not. Just because of the price different.

Laura

We also had a suite with a balcony. I agree, the was so ver much to see and do all day long that we were notin our room other than to sleep. The only benefit of the suite was the room was a little bigger and we did enjoy the open doors !! Either side of the ship offers the same views. Enjoy, it was one of our very favorite cruises

I really appreciate all of the replies! Sorry for the delayed response, I have been working long hours as of late.

I am really at odds, I did book cabin 308 (front right, second from the front) and am very concerned about that anchor. It's just that I had read a lot of info saying that the cabin didn't matter on Xpedition as it is a port intensive cruise.

Now I am second guessing myself! I think that we should try to go for 301 or 302, I think that I will have a peek.

Thanks again all, much appreciated!

I really appreciate all of the replies! Sorry for the delayed response, I have been working long hours as of late.

I am really at odds, I did book cabin 308 (front right, second from the front) and am very concerned about that anchor. It's just that I had read a lot of info saying that the cabin didn't matter on Xpedition as it is a port intensive cruise.

Now I am second guessing myself! I think that we should try to go for 301 or 302, I think that I will have a peek.

Thanks again all, much appreciated!

You are welcome. Ask all the questions you want. We will try to answer them all for you.

Laura

Thank you, Laura! Glad to hear that, because I have a lot.

Ok, so I changed our reservation from December to November instead. Sea Lion pups, anyone?

Also, I should have typed 318 instead of 308, but am on the verge of changing that also, based on others' reports of anchor troubles.

Also, if anyone has any advice about how to get from Quito to Baltra without reserving through Celebrity, any advice would be appreciated.

Thank You again!

Ok, so I changed our reservation from December to November instead. Sea Lion pups, anyone?

Also, I should have typed 318 instead of 308, but am on the verge of changing that also, based on others' reports of anchor troubles.

Also, if anyone has any advice about how to get from Quito to Baltra without reserving through Celebrity, any advice would be appreciated.

Thank You again!

I wouldn't miss getting to the boat....travel with celebrity. This is not a normal embarkation....you can only get to the ship ona zodiac. If you insist on doing it yourself, figur out a way to book a flight on tame airlines and figure out how you will get from the baltra airport to the ship dock which is in the middle of nowhere.

Thank You again!

We also went in November. We went over Thanksgiving weekend. Great time and alot of pups. But anytime you pick will be a great time. I would not go with out going thru Celebrity. We had friends that tried to do that and had nothing but problems and headaches over it. Not worth it at all. They said the biggest mistake they made.

Laura

Keywest,

I am a die hard do-it-youselfer, and in fact we did our own arrangements when we did the Xpedition. Did our own round trip from the US to Quito. Stayed in a lovely inn in historic Quito, and did a round trip to Baltra on TAME. Historic Quito at night is wonderful!

We arrived in Baltra about 1/2 hour before the Celebrity aircraft, and were met by the same people who met the larger group. Once on board, passenger services coordinated for us to fly back with the group instead of on a different aircraft. After landing in Quito, we went with the regular group to the hotel where we stayed on our own, and then left in the morning on the group bus to the airport. Celebrity knew we weren't part of their package but had no problem including us on the buses to and from the airport post cruise. Since we were not on the group package, we ate in a local restaurant the last night instead of eating at the included hotel banquet.

Having said all that, the hardest part was making, and paying for, the reservations on TAME. And all things considered, it's probably easier to do the Celebrity package.

Xpedition is a FABULOUS adventure.

Bruce

Keywest, we just got off the Xpedition a week ago. So easy when X makes all your arrangements. We were in 306, which looks like it's across the hall from steps, but we never saw "those" steps but were closer to the main (only) steps. We loved the location of our cabin -- 3rd room after you came down steps. Practically right next to the dining room. The whole ship is so small you aren't far from anything anywhere. Didn't hear any anchor noise at all midship. Only heard when they lowered the pangas. But it wasn't anything annoying. We found the size of our room was just fine. I saw a balcony cabin, which was nice, but no need I didn't think to have one (and I get them quite often) b/c it's much more fun to go have a drink before dinner with some of your new friends in the discovery lounge or the bar or wherever!! Great trip.

Laura, I am really at odds trying to decide whether or not to try to plan our flight from Quito to Baltra ourselves. Like BruceDodge, I am a hardcore do-it-yourselfer! Is it a possibility that we would miss the ship?

Bruce, can you elaborate as to why it was so "hard" making the travel arrangements with TAME?

I am thinking of flying to Quito on Thursday, spending the night there, then flying to Baltra on Friday and spending the night in Pedro, then taking a taxi to Baltra in the morning on Saturday to board the ship.

Coming home, I was rather hoping that we could fly back from Baltra to Quito, then board a flight home to Orlando on that same day without having to spend the night.

Patti, I agree so much! On this trip, I think it is all about the destinations and experiences rather than whether or not I have a balcony or someone doing my laundry for me. Thank you for the tip on the room, I love it when people talk about their cabins! I wish the Celebrity threads had a page like the HAL threads with all the photos of all the different cabins and suites, it gives me something to daydream about. (P.S. It is Joanie's thread if anyone wants to check it out)

For now, we have booked cabin 317 (front left) smallest cabin on the ship. It was the last XO available and I wanted to grab it before the choice was made for me! Both hubby and I were astonished that cabins are selling out when the cruise itself is in November 2014! I do believe all the cabins for the class above ours are still available, but they are about $500 more per person at the moment.

Thanks again all, much appreciated :)

We didn't hear any noise in Cabin 314. Port or Starboard does not matter as you are always tendered by Zodiacs.

We did the 10 day package with X. It was great. We are hardcore do-it-yourselfers, but we were thankful we choose the 10 day package. Everything went so smoothly. After we arrived in Quito we didn't have to deal with our luggage until we left Quito! It was wonderfull. We left our big suitcase at the hotel and took 2 duffel bags with us on the Xpedition. It worked out perfectly.

You'll love this cruise! Enjoy!

P.S. we have a picture just like yours with the giant tortoise! I guess everybody takes the same pics.

Laura, I am really at odds trying to decide whether or not to try to plan our flight from Quito to Baltra ourselves. Like BruceDodge, I am a hardcore do-it-yourselfer! Is it a possibility that we would miss the ship?

Bruce, can you elaborate as to why it was so "hard" making the travel arrangements with TAME?

I am thinking of flying to Quito on Thursday, spending the night there, then flying to Baltra on Friday and spending the night in Pedro, then taking a taxi to Baltra in the morning on Saturday to board the ship.

Coming home, I was rather hoping that we could fly back from Baltra to Quito, then board a flight home to Orlando on that same day without having to spend the night.

Patti, I agree so much! On this trip, I think it is all about the destinations and experiences rather than whether or not I have a balcony or someone doing my laundry for me. Thank you for the tip on the room, I love it when people talk about their cabins! I wish the Celebrity threads had a page like the HAL threads with all the photos of all the different cabins and suites, it gives me something to daydream about. (P.S. It is Joanie's thread if anyone wants to check it out)

For now, we have booked cabin 317 (front left) smallest cabin on the ship. It was the last XO available and I wanted to grab it before the choice was made for me! Both hubby and I were astonished that cabins are selling out when the cruise itself is in November 2014! I do believe all the cabins for the class above ours are still available, but they are about $500 more per person at the moment.

Thanks again all, much appreciated :)

I am also a hardcore do it yourselfer. I made the plane reservations to and from Quito. Then I let Celebrity handle all the rest. We did the 10 day tour and it was wonderful. The hotel is beautiful and the tours and dinners were great. I really loved that it was all taken care of, from the minute we walked out of the airport at Quito till we were delivered back to the airport at the end of the trip. I think that the difference in cost might surprise you when you start to add everything up. Whatever you decide, have a wonderful trip!

Laura

<<It's unlikely you would miss the ship, unless a flight were canceled. It's especially unlikely if you are really planning on going a day early.>>

<<We did this adventure about four or five years ago, and probably procedures have changed, but the only way we could pay for our tickets was via a wire transfer to TAME's NCY bank. Couldn't do it with a credit card at that time. >>

<<As I recall, all the north bound flights to the US left in the am, and when we went you couldn't get back to Quito until after noon. You could check the airline schedules.>>

Please consider Laura's advice. If we were to do it again, we'd probably go with the Celebrity package after arrival in Quito. However, staying downtown for two nights was much more enjoyable (for us) than the Marriott (which is a wonderful hotel in Quito, and where we stayed our last night after the Xpedition).

Archived