Bonaire at Night

Redeemedtrvlr

Two couples are sailing on the Zuiderdam in November. We will be in port at Bonaire from 2 p.m. - 11 p.m. on a Monday (if that is relevant). We have a snorkeling tour planned with Woodwind after arrival. We can't figure out why we are there until 11P. What do we do? There are no excursions listed. We do not gamble, we do not do night clubs/bars. One couple dances. I can't find anything to do except snorkeling/diving.:confused:

Edited by Host Kat >^..^<
thread moved to the Ports of Call - Bonaire forum

Hmmmm, Bonaire and night-life don't seem to go together.

Departure time could be due anything from the tide to a typing error ;)

Follow Keith's suggestion. Folk there may be just as mystified and you might find answers disappointing, but who knows - mebbe there's a big annual carnival or somesuch.

JB :)

cb at sea, gosh I thought the idea of being in port was to see as much of the culture and the island as possible. I've not been on a cruise where we weren't offered something to entertain, or educate, or exercise us, or at least there was a point of being in the port during those hours. We can set on the ship when it's at sea, not when it's in port at a far off tropical island. Golly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

We made our cruise in November '14. The locals at Bonaire were not used to cruises staying that late (11:00 P.M.) There has been a change that is for the convenience of the cruise lines not the passengers that someone explained to us but made little sense. The local shops were used to closing around 5:00 because ships were gone by then. We strolled into town and found all the shops closed--except the one lone purveyor of sea salt products who saw people out on the streets and had the presence of mind to remain open. We spent a bunch of money in his stop to reward him. I'm hoping that as time goes on the locals will get the idea they can make money by entertaining cruisers in those later hours.

I want to say that I arranged an extraordinary snorkeling excursion in the afternoon. It was with a small family owned operation that was far more professional, knowledgable, had better equipment--better in every way than the excursion people ships often employ and they served us supper which they called a snack on the return back to the dock. Bonaire is working hard and doing a good job at re-establishing the reefs that were destroyed in a recent hurricane. Sorry, I got carried away, they areWoodwind Sailing & Guided Snorkel. Look them up on Trip Advisor and google them. We had never experienced a ship arriving more than an hour late to port so didn't expect the privately booked excursion to wait on us. The town tourism office was in contact with the ship and the vendors so they were patiently waiting for us when we arrived.