Solo on Royal Caribbean or Carnival?

FLchick3

Hi Everyone,

I just got off the Norwegian Getaway. I stayed in a balcony cabin, so I was not allowed to go into the Studio Lounge. However, the first day of the cruise all the solos met and were given a schedule by the Solo Cruise Director. Each day there was a dinner scheduled and sometimes a show. Does Royal Caribbean or Carnival do something similar?

Thank you in advance!

I can only answer your question on how Carnival does things.

The only thing Carnival has for solo is a solo meeting, sort of like a meet and greet. But they don't schedule dinners together or shows in the meeting.

You can try asking a hostess in the MDR to seat you with other solos/singles if you wish.

Now a days there are more and more solos that are cruising, it would be very nice if all cruise lines tried just a bit more to bring us solos together. It's happening slowly but surely. At least NCL is doing it on some of their ships.

I've sailed solo on both CCL and RCCL, quite often.

There has never been anything for solo cruisers on any of my cruises, other than that seemingly required late first-night single meet up at the disco.

Which is a complete waste of time, imho, because it isn't actually limited to solo cruisers and it is usually pretty late at night after a very long travel day (at usually it is for me).

I have usually been seated with other solo cruisers for dinner though. I always take late seating dinner. Those tables are probably running about 75% with compatible dinner companions and 25% terrible.

I wish they would do more. I am fine with my own company, and I will talk to just about anyone, but not everyone responds.

I've sailed solo on both.

1. Carnival has better rates for solos. Sometimes you can find rates for just one person. But it takes some work and effort.

2. Both Carnival & RCCL have solo meet and greet times posted on the daily bulletin or the board near guest services.

3. You can ask Maitre'D to seat you with other solos or you can request a table for two and sit alone.

4. I found the crowd on Carnival quite a bit more welcoming of the solo cruisers, from the room attendant to the entertainment and bar staff. It may just have been my experience.

5. I do recall that RCCL Allure has a specific time for Solos to meet up during the dinner hour on Tides, the floating bar, but it was never convenient depending on when you take your meals. I did find that most times it was empty when I walked by. I tried the night club, but it was mostly overcrowded with teens, where as the night club on Carnival Glory had many more solos.

Hope this helps.

Hi Everyone,

I just got off the Norwegian Getaway. I stayed in a balcony cabin, so I was not allowed to go into the Studio Lounge. However, the first day of the cruise all the solos met and were given a schedule by the Solo Cruise Director. Each day there was a dinner scheduled and sometimes a show. Does Royal Caribbean or Carnival do something similar?

Thank you in advance!

On my cruise on the NCL EPIC there was a woman who was sailing solo with a balcony cabin. She was let in to the Studio Lounge. It is my understanding (I could be wrong) that if you are sailing solo you can ask at the main desk to have your card programmed to let you into the Studio Lounge.

I have not sailed with RCCL but on Carnival I not only was seated at a solo's table for dinner but also for breakfast. I never asked for a shared table for lunch. One option is to use the roll calls on this board to make arrangements with other solos ahead of time.

Single Dreamer – did you find Carnival had better rates for solos on balconies, or mostly inside/outsides?

Earl – Yes, I had also heard that I could have my card programmed to let me into the Studio Lounge. The Solo Cruise Director said the previous cruise all solos were allowed into the lounge and there has been complaints. The lounge is tiny on Getaway, but I still find that hard to believe. This was my first solo cruise and I wanted to see how it went without asking for anything extra. However, by the end of the cruise, not having access to the “white board” was an issue. Also – the lounge was not open one hour a day as I was lead to believe it would be. All in all, I wasn’t thrilled with the way things were structured, but as the Solo Cruise Director did schedule a dinner each night…..I didn’t want to push the access issue.

I booked a balcony on the Glory with a solo rate. You really just have to watch. According to John Heald at Carnival, there will be a new program for solos. He hasn't announced it yet.

You should check goccl.com and click on Solo Rates. They usually have a huge list of sailings with solo pricing for interior/OV/Balcony. You need to be flexible or check back often.

• 3 weeks later...

RCCL treats solos as second class citizens. They've added a few studio closets to some of their older ships, and there's no dedicated solo cruise director, as on the newer NCL ships. Carnival makes the effort to seat solos together if requested. I've requested on RCCL and been disappointed. Thus, I give the edge to Carnival.

Only four of the events (two dinners and two shows) were sign up in advance events. If I wanted to cancel I would just called the phone number our Solo Cruise Director gave us. It was a direct number to his ship cell phone.

It's sad, cuz I think I'm one trip away from Diamond. Even something like seating solos together would be a nice accommodation, and I'm guessing it's just a computer sort. When I've asked to sit with solos, no luck. So, I mainly sail NCL about 3-4 times a year.

Carnival doesn't have any solo-specific activities. Even their singles' party in the club is a joke. One thing they are good at is seating solos in the MDR. I've cruised solo twice, and I always got seated with people close to me in age, and never with children or newlyweds. The onboard atmosphere on Carnival is very solo-friendly, and I've never caught any heat from other passengers, let alone the crew, for cruising by myself.

I have no Royal Caribbean experience, so I can't comment there.

I just returned from solo cruise on RCI they had 2 solo lunches and 1 evening event. I choose to not attend. I am diamond and was welcomed by all. Actually almost never alone unless I wanted to be. I went to Chefs Table solo and felt comfortable with couple next to me. I had asked for traditional dinner late sitting with solos but that did not happen. This was a Canada /New England cruise not sure if makes any diffferance. I would definitely do this again

• 1 month later...

RCCL treats solos as second class citizens. They've added a few studio closets to some of their older ships, and there's no dedicated solo cruise director, as on the newer NCL ships. Carnival makes the effort to seat solos together if requested. I've requested on RCCL and been disappointed. Thus, I give the edge to Carnival.

I will be solo on the B2B cruise on Carnival Dream Jan 3 2016. I hope so, this is my first solo cruise since my husband passed a year ago. :rolleyes:

Just bringing forward the info, it seems Anthem has both inside and balcony "studios".

I've learned to like RCI and Carnival for different reasons - as someone who solo travels frequently. RCI's benefits program is much more attractive to solo travelers: double cruise points and great discounts after certain levels. Carnival doesn't have much going for it from my end except priority boarding lol. A good example of this. RCI gives 10% off spa treatments to its loyalty program members (certain level). Carnival gives you priority BOOKING for spa treatments. I'll take the discount thank you very much.

However, almost every time Carnival beats RCI for pricing. If I can get an excellent cabin on C for $1,200 (balcony or stupendous ocean view) on a PREMIUM deck that same cabin will be $1,500 - $1,600 on royal and at the bottom of the ship. But RCI is fighting back with these new super solo studios on Anthem and Ovation, so we'll see.

As for activities - neither does anything for solos. But I find I get less flack from Carnival cruisers when they find out I'm by myself. Also Carnival cruisers seem to be more young at heart, joyful, and irreverent. Sometimes that can be a bad thing - drunk idiots and super-crowded deck parties. But they are much more relaxed about their time on the ship. RCI feels a bit more stuffy/upper-class to me but the activities I find are more innovative, interesting and exciting! Carnival is mainly comedy shows and performances. I want to be mesmerized and included - RCI is good at that with the ice show, the eye in the sky, the small and large activities like a cupcake decorating session.

Also a side note - RCI seems to have more kids in general.

Bottom line:

Carnival: Cheaper but still quality, good rooms (especially if you know which ones to pick) and friendly community

RCI: More expensive and many more avenues for entertainment plus better food venues & loyalty perks

There's more difference between individual cruises than there is between Carnival and Royal Caribbean. Changing a dozen passengers can make a huge difference for a solo, and that's less than 1% of those on board.

Edited by Dancer Bob

• 4 weeks later...
I've sailed solo on both CCL and RCCL, quite often.

There has never been anything for solo cruisers on any of my cruises, other than that seemingly required late first-night single meet up at the disco.

Which is a complete waste of time, imho, because it isn't actually limited to solo cruisers and it is usually pretty late at night after a very long travel day (at usually it is for me).

I have usually been seated with other solo cruisers for dinner though. I always take late seating dinner. Those tables are probably running about 75% with compatible dinner companions and 25% terrible.

I wish they would do more. I am fine with my own company, and I will talk to just about anyone, but not everyone responds.

Required!? So if I cross my arms and refuse to show up to this mandatory meeting they'll drag me out of my cabin and fine me/throw me off the ship?

It's a serious question. Because besides the life boat drill, I am a very stubborn person. And being "forced" to do anything I don't want to on my vacation isn't going to go well at all.

Required!? So if I cross my arms and refuse to show up to this mandatory meeting they'll drag me out of my cabin and fine me/throw me off the ship?

It's a serious question. Because besides the life boat drill, I am a very stubborn person. And being "forced" to do anything I don't want to on my vacation isn't going to go well at all.

Required in the sense that every cruise I've ever been on seems to have one. Not required in the sense that anyone has to go to it.