Shorts accepted at Baltic cruise ports?

Sorry for the silly question....trying to determine how to pack for an upcoming July/Aug cruise with multiple stops in the Baltic Sea ports.

Looking at the current temps, they seem to range from maybe a low in the 50's to a high in the 60's, maybe reaching up into the low 70's if you are lucky.

Being from Florida, I very rarely if ever wear long pants - usually shorts with a sweatshirt if it gets cool out. Maybe some sweat pants if it gets cooler out. I don't normally like wearing jeans unless I really have to. But then again, I'm not normally outside for extended periods either if its cooler (like I might be when off the ship).

I'm trying to think about these temps and how it will be walking around in the ports during the day. I don't want to be the only one with shorts and don't want to be cold, either. Layering always seems to be the best approach, but was just curious if I'll be wearing many pairs of shorts.

Normally, I would just slam a lot of clothes in a suitcase and not worry so much, but we are trying to pack lighter for an extended vacation, both before and after the cruise ends.

Hi JohnCruise1,

Just back from our Regal Princess 11day Baltic cruise (05July-16July)

I'm a shorts person as well and wore shorts every day on and off the ship.We had temps range from 60- 75 (16c-25c)

I still took a light jacket with me most days and only used it in a couple of ports.

Enjoy your Baltic cruise ! ( in shorts)

Cheers

Johhno

We got back on 7/10 - most days did not get above 65, and rain every now and again.

The order of the day was jeans with a t-shirt and sweatshirt (and light rain jacket in bag). When going into the churches/palaces, I would usually discard the sweatshirt and leave it in the bus.

Everyone in my family packed shorts [i am that guy in my office that is in short sleeves, even in the middle of the winter (I live in the Northeast)]. Myself and my family came home with most of our shorts unworn - and unfortunately had to wear my jeans more than once before being cleaned because I did not bring enough.

On our cruise, the weather was about 10 degrees lower than the annual average. Hopefully your weather will be a little better. If the weather were in the low to mid 70s, I probably would have been comfortable in shorts.

thanks to both of you for the thoughts. I guess it's best just to pack jeans and shorts and then you just have to go by what the weather is. I just also wanted to make sure I didn't look silly wearing shorts, but it sounds like they are perfectly acceptable, weather permitting.

Also keep in mind that church's in Eastern Europe frown on shorts and t-shirts inside the building.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Although the active Russian Orthodox churches do not allow shorts to be worn, all of the "churches" that are visited on most standard tours are currently not fully active, and more of a museum. I saw all types of clothing being worn in each (including shorts and uncovered shoulders on women).

Note: according to our tour guide, there are one or two that may go back to being more of an active church (the country is becoming more religious). The main issue focuses on how to maintain the church if it leaves the control of the government -- Can, or should, the church charge such fees as they do now for entry?

thanks to both of you for the thoughts. I guess it's best just to pack jeans and shorts and then you just have to go by what the weather is. I just also wanted to make sure I didn't look silly wearing shorts, but it sounds like they are perfectly acceptable, weather permitting.

We were on the Serenade out of Copenhagen may 2015 on a 7 night Baltic cruise and i wore tailored shorts in every port.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

The Baltic was too cold for this Texas girl as well. I'd recommend light weight pants, and a couple shorts if you hit a few sunny days. I had to buy a second sweater to wear on the ship since I was thoroughly sick of the one and only that I had.

That said, you'll probably hit a heat wave. I'd pack layers and be flexible, but on average that area of the world is significantly cooler than we southerners are used too in July!

We were on Oceania Marina June 29-July 9. I packed long sleeve shirts, short sleeve shirts, light jacket, umbrella, vest with pockets,jeans, 2 pair capris. Did wear the capris but only one day on shore. We had an unseasonably cool and rainy first 5 days (according to the natives) and in fact it was reported to us that Berlin was flooded during that time. Of course, they said that it was 80 degrees the week before. I live in Colorado so I imagine we are used to cooler temps than Floridians. I often layered short sleeve shirt, long sleeve shirt, vest and jacket with jeans and took them off as needed. At the end with the more seasonable temps (70) it was still a little cool if near the dock (windy) or in the shade. Have fun it was a wonderful trip!

I certainly advise you to get a pair of jeans or even two with you as well as shorts. Weather in Baltics is very unpredictable, we had just two rainy days the last time but it was windy almost all the time.

I prefer the combat trousers that you can unzip the bottoms to make them into shorts if it gets warm.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

Sorry for the silly question....trying to determine how to pack for an upcoming July/Aug cruise with multiple stops in the Baltic Sea ports.

Looking at the current temps, they seem to range from maybe a low in the 50's to a high in the 60's, maybe reaching up into the low 70's if you are lucky.

Being from Florida, I very rarely if ever wear long pants - usually shorts with a sweatshirt if it gets cool out. Maybe some sweat pants if it gets cooler out. I don't normally like wearing jeans unless I really have to. But then again, I'm not normally outside for extended periods either if its cooler (like I might be when off the ship).

I'm trying to think about these temps and how it will be walking around in the ports during the day. I don't want to be the only one with shorts and don't want to be cold, either. Layering always seems to be the best approach, but was just curious if I'll be wearing many pairs of shorts.

Normally, I would just slam a lot of clothes in a suitcase and not worry so much, but we are trying to pack lighter for an extended vacation, both before and after the cruise ends.

I'm just back, we wore shorts every day on tours with just a jumper in St P when it rained for a wee while and then on the last sea day as it was a bit dull. I would maybe take light layers.

• 1 month later...
You can wear shorts if you like, but if you want to blend in a little, I'd suggest you don't.

In Europe and Scandenavia, adult men don't usually wear shots unless they are running or playing soccer.

Really? We are not? No offence but what you claim is wrong.

Adult men in Europe and Scandinavia (which is a European sub-region) wear shorts and we also do wear t-shirts.

Really? We are not? No offence but what you claim is wrong.

Adult men in Europe and Scandinavia (which is a European sub-region) wear shorts and we also do wear t-shirts.

They wear shorts when hiking and at the beach. Everything I've read and hear , is that shorts are frowned on.

Not to start a big argument, but when we toured, we were also told, if you want to look like an American tourist, wear shorts and white sneakers. Can't say how true that is, but we rarely saw any Europeans wearing white sneakers. We also had pretty cool weather so we didn't see many shorts out either.

that said, there are people, seems some on this board, that are always wearing shorts. I live outside of NYC and our mailman wears shorts all year long. If that is your thing, go for it. Myself, we wore jeans thru out our cruise. See if I wore shorts, they might scare all the locals away ;p;p.

To say you will not need jeans or pants is silly. It could be pouring and cool, any you will need those pants. If you feel comfortable wearing shorts in all types of weather, bring them, but I would also pack a few pair of pants. You'll also need pants for dining.

Cheers

Len

We saw folks wearing shorts occasionally when the weather was nice enough (maybe 2 or 3 days out of a 10 day cruise). We were on Marina in June. One thing I remember being told when we first visited Italy 10 years ago was that we would be immediately spotted as tourists and targeted for all kinds of things from pickpocketing to beggars if we didn't dress to blend in. Hate to tell you folks, but they know we're tourists!!! Most of the people in the tourist centers are tourists. Wear comfortable shoes (you will be on cobblestones in Copenhagen, Stockholm, Tallinn, Klaipeda). If they happen to be white sneakers, so be it. We saw lots of non tourists in St. Petersburg with jeans and athletic sneakers on. So be comfortable.

Its funny that you guys mentions white sneakers.

I think that most of my friends wear black sneakers or other dark colours.

Just looking at my shoe collection then i got 3!!! pairs of black Nike shoes, 1 dark blue Kappa and one all black shoe that my big brother got me from Poland that I don't know the name of.

I got 1 pair of white sneakers that are for indoor sports like handball or indoor soccer and the one pair of Kappa's that are black, white and grey and can be counted as a fail purchase because they get easily dirty, but they where cheap. :)

My point is, yes you will stick out with white sneakers. :p

That's funny about the sneakers. Very true, lots of people here where white or brightly colored ones. Dark ones would remind me of my old marching band shoes.

A moderate tangent....I own an optical shop and can tell Europeans frequently by the style of frames they wear. Those sort of frames just don't sell in most of the US outside of NYC and LA.

Back to shorts...