Just Off the Jewel Mini Review

jeffsnoy

Our family reunion group of 21 did the 7 day Mexico cruise on the Jewel. We got back two days ago.

Embarkation: We dropped out bags with the porters and did the USS Iowa tour. Half price $11 per person if you show that you are on the cruise. Great tour. Everyone loved it. Boarded at 1:30pm. No lines. On board within 20 minutes.

Pros: The tendering in Cabo was the best I have ever experienced. No tickets or waiting.

We stayed in mini-suites. The cabins were excellent with great service from our cabin attendant.

Great service everywhere. The waiters in the Garden Cafe were amazing. Finish a plate and it is gone within a minute most of the time.

The Garden Cafe was the best buffet food I have had in a while. I felt it was better than Celebrity. They have a crepe station every night. Their nutella crepes tasted like you would get on the street in Paris.

They seemed to have some grilling going most late afternoons by the pool.

All of our 11 grandchildren were in the kids club and only one didn't enjoy the experience.

Cons: We ate most nights in the Tsar dining room. We had 5:00pm reservations. No one greeted us until 5:15pm and the waiter showed up nightly at 5:30pm to take orders. Why do a 5:00pm reservation if the waiter isn't there until 5:30pm. Because of the young children we would do the 7:15pm show and never had time for desert so we ran up to the crepe station for dessert. The Tsar dining room was the only major failure by NCL. Maybe the issue was such a large group.

We felt nickel and dimed by all the upcharges.

Disembarkation: We did the walk off at 8:30am and were off the ship by 9:00am. It looked like people were coming off the ship about 7:30am.

Overall a very good cruise.

Edited by jeffsnoy

We were also on the Jewel recently and it is a wonderful ship. I wrote a very detailed review that will hopefully be posted soon.

We ate at Tsars a few times and the service was great, but it was just two of us. A large group slows things down. I think most people had the SDP so the specialty restaurants were busy. The only disappointment was LeBistro.

For those going on the Jewel soon, look for my review this week.

We heard that there were crepe stations for dinner at the buffet. We had the SDP, so never made it there. Someone else reported that they were wonderful.

BTW- I love both the Pearl and the Jewel. Both perfect size ships with lots to offer.

• 1 month later...

We are going to Alaska in August. Couple quick questions. How much do drinks cost? Was there a formal night? Any good shows? quote=deliver42;52683220]Thank you for the review. We are on the Jewel in May in Alaska.

Our family reunion group of 21 did the 7 day Mexico cruise on the Jewel. We got back two days ago.

Embarkation: We dropped out bags with the porters and did the USS Iowa tour. Half price $11 per person if you show that you are on the cruise. Great tour. Everyone loved it. Boarded at 1:30pm. No lines. On board within 20 minutes.

Pros: The tendering in Cabo was the best I have ever experienced. No tickets or waiting.

We stayed in mini-suites. The cabins were excellent with great service from our cabin attendant.

Great service everywhere. The waiters in the Garden Cafe were amazing. Finish a plate and it is gone within a minute most of the time.

The Garden Cafe was the best buffet food I have had in a while. I felt it was better than Celebrity. They have a crepe station every night. Their nutella crepes tasted like you would get on the street in Paris.

They seemed to have some grilling going most late afternoons by the pool.

All of our 11 grandchildren were in the kids club and only one didn't enjoy the experience.

Cons: We ate most nights in the Tsar dining room. We had 5:00pm reservations. No one greeted us until 5:15pm and the waiter showed up nightly at 5:30pm to take orders. Why do a 5:00pm reservation if the waiter isn't there until 5:30pm. Because of the young children we would do the 7:15pm show and never had time for desert so we ran up to the crepe station for dessert. The Tsar dining room was the only major failure by NCL. Maybe the issue was such a large group.

We felt nickel and dimed by all the upcharges.

Disembarkation: We did the walk off at 8:30am and were off the ship by 9:00am. It looked like people were coming off the ship about 7:30am.

Overall a very good cruise.

thanks for a nice and brief review: the kind I happen to like. Glad you had a good time, I am sure many will have questions for you. I am a lover of the Jewel class ships. We will be going on the Pearl for the 4th time in November. Thanks again.

Though the larger the group the worse the service i do think the one downfall in the past 5 years with NCL is the dining room service