\new to Cunard - differences from Princess and P&O?

caber

We are about to book our first Cunard cruise. I have been studying the Cunard website but am unable to find the information I was seeking.

I can find wine and drink lists but am unsure if a service charge is added, like the 15% on Princess. Is there one?

Secondly, what is the daily hotel charge for a regular balcony cabin? The TA couldn`t even tell me this.

What restaurants can I use? Is there the equivalent of anytime dining or do you select a traditional dining time?

Is there a buffet?

As I am used to Princess cruises what else will I find different. We like the formal nights.

Edited by caber

On my last cruise there was a percentage charge on drinks I thing 15% but not sure, and tha daily charge for "Brittania" grade cabins which is inside, oceanview and balcony was $11/day/person. You can go to the pursers desk and ask for it to be reduced or removed, I never have, IMO takes the mild embarrassment of handing over the envelopes :D

We are about to book our first Cunard cruise. I have been studying the Cunard website but am unable to find the information I was seeking.

I can find wine and drink lists but am unsure if a service charge is added, like the 15% on Princess. Is there one?

Secondly, what is the daily hotel charge for a regular balcony cabin? The TA couldn`t even tell me this.

What restaurants can I use? Is there the equivalent of anytime dining or do you select a traditional dining time?

Is there a buffet?

As I am used to Princess cruises what else will I find different. We like the formal nights.

Welcome

15% will be added

$11.50 I think

6pm or 8.30pm, you will eat in Britannia Restaurant but may use any of the Speciality Restaurants except the Grills and Britannia Club.

Yes there is a buffet

On Cunard ships, there is no equivalent to anytime dining---except if you count choosing to eat any time you want in the buffet or make a reservation in a specialty restaurant.

On a Princess ship, in the buffet, one gets one's food and then the drinks (water, tea, coffee, lemonade, etc) are served by waiters, while you are sitting at a table. Aboard Cunard ships, you have to go through a drink-queue after the food line.

On a Cunard ship, the daytime speakers can be quite, quite good. Better, I believe, than anything offered on Princess.

Better libraries on Cunard ships than Princess, in my opinion.

Have a wonderful voyage!

Is there a buffet?

Having sailed both Cunard and Princess I can assure you that once you travel Cunard you will begrudge going back to Princess.

I can confirm that a 15% gratuity is applied to alcohol on Cunard ships and the stateroom gratuity is $11 a night for Insides-Balconies, while a gratuity of $13 is applied to suites. The alcohol selection is broader on Cunard than Princess, and I'm pretty suite the stateroom gratuity is similar on both lines (from memory).

If you wish to dine away from set dining you have a range of choices, depending on the ship.

On QM2 you can dine in the Kings Court buffet (which is divided into several international flavoured restaurants at night), or pay a little extra to eat at Todd English.

On QE and QV you can dine in the Lido buffet, or at the Verandah restaurant (French cuisine). The is a small charge for the Verandah.

Afternoon tea is always served in the gran Queens Room ballrooms on each ship (a two story palatial room on QE and QV). It's true English afternoon tea. Despite those who complain about no clotted cream at times, it surpasses anything put on by Princess.

Cunard offers a much broader range of daytime activities whilst at sea than Princess. In addition to deck games (including tennis, giant chess, and croquet on QE) you can attend card games, play bingo, attend workshops, experience art discussions/auctions, and be part of the amazing Insights lecture series. Insights lectures boast speakers from all over the world, all experts in their field. Lectures on politics, theatre, ocean liner history, business, dance, art, literature and so on can be found on Cunard liners. You might even get to meet some famous faces while sipping a cocktail in the Commodore Club - overlooking the bow of each ship.

Entertainment is equally good on both lines, although the comedians are really touch and go no matter which line you sail with!

I find that Cunard is a line that attracts a broader share of the refined traveller. I don't mean refined as in snobs, but in terms of being well travelled and capable of holding engaging conversation. On Princess I found a lot of less travelled people and too many people who felt it acceptable to dress for dinner and public areas as though they were sitting in the comfort of their own living room.

Cunard has class and is a cut above Princess. It isn't pretentious at all, and you actually feel that the money you spend is well worth it. I was never bored on QM2, while I often found my days wanting on the Diamond Princess.

That said, if you want to do nothing but watch the world go by from your balcony stateroom, there's nothing to stop you.

Hopefully this helps answer your questions and encourages you to sail Cunard :)

Just to clarify a small point regarding the Hotel & Dining charge (a/k/a auto gratuity):

"Grill Accommodations: $13.50 USD per person per day†

Britannia Accommodations: $11.50 USD per person per day†

† Charges may vary or change without notice."

copied from http://www.cunard.com/frequent-questions/

(capnpugwash had it right in his post #3)

Edited by Salacia

Compared to Cunard the ship's library on Princess is a joke. Not many books and they were quite old and very limited hours of access.

I also found on my last Princess cruise that formal night dress was no where near as formal as you see on Cunard.

It is good if people stick to the dress code and don't make up their own rules. I have seen some strange interpretations of formal wear on Princess.

Am I correct in saying that we cannot wear shorts in the dining room, even for breakfast?

Edited by caber

Compared to Cunard the ship's library on Princess is a joke. Not many books and they were quite old and very limited hours of access.

I also found on my last Princess cruise that formal night dress was no where near as formal as you see on Cunard.

I have seen many Cunard library posts but no has ever described the library in terms other than "big." Could you tell us what types of books or materials are available??

DD is a librarian. She was impressed with the Cunard libraries. There are actually certified librarians in charge. There are sections..ya, history, science, travel, mysteries. A good mix of new fiction and old favorites. Most texts are in excellent shape. The travel books are usually reserved(ie not taken from library) if they deal with the region. I can't say there are childrens picture books, we weren't looking. But there seemed to be everything else.

By contrast, dd actually said Royal Princess shouldn't be allowed to call their library a library. It was a teeny room and there was no rhyme or reason to shelving the books.

If you love libraries, you will love Cunard!

I know a lot of people talk about how good the libraries are on Cunard but we're on Cunard for the first time this year and it is unlikely we will even visit the library. Our experience on recent cruises suggests that the majority of cruisers are like us and own Kindles or tablets with reading apps. But maybe not people who cruise on Cunard?

I have a kindle but have used ship`s libraries in the past, mainly doing the book swap when I finished one I had brought.

I think the kindle is wonderful as I can load it up with lots of books (mostly free from Amazon) then If I don`t like one I can delete it and go to the next one.

This is my first Cunard cruise also.

... Am I correct in saying that we cannot wear shorts in the dining room, even for breakfast?

That is the strict interpretation of the dress code, yes. But you will find that, on port days, with shore excursions leaving early, many people do wear shorts to breakfast in the dining room.

Don't tell any of the regulars on here - but I've even done so myself :eek:

They should be smart shorts though.

J

That is the strict interpretation of the dress code, yes. But you will find that, on port days, with shore excursions leaving early, many people do wear shorts to breakfast in the dining room.

Don't tell any of the regulars on here - but I've even done so myself :eek:

They should be smart shorts though.

J

That is all my wife needs to hear, me and my smarty pants.:D

...Do you really feel the class difference?

Just go on the cruise and forget all this "class" stuff. It doesn't exist. In the "good old day" the ships were divided into two or three classes. Whole areas of the ship were off limits to passengers who were not travelling in the appropriate class. Nowadays, people who are prepared to pay the extra fare have a rather small restaurant and lounge that is exclusive to them and a small deck area that only they can use. Every other public space and every other facility on the ship is open to all passengers regardless of their accommodation grade. The net result is that you will meet and mingle with grill passengers and you won't have the slightest clue (unless they tell you) that they are grill passengers. And that works the other way around too.

J

Princess has the coffee card....does QV? Cost?

Do you really feel the class difference?

This is my first Cunard voyage, having cruised princess quite extensively. I really appreciate all this information. Thanks

I agree with Cruachan. There is no feeling of class division on Cunard ships. Unless people announce they travel Grills (which people seldom do) you wouldn't know.

On Cunard there is merely class :) It doesn't matter whether you are bunking in an inside stateroom or lapping it up in a whirlpool bath in a Queens Grill suite, the Cunard experience is understated luxury and good service.

That's why you find so many seasoned Cunard cruisers around. If you find anyone complaining, it is merely because they are are grumpy at not being on board :)

... The net result is that you will meet and mingle with grill passengers and you won't have the slightest clue (unless they tell you) that they are grill passengers. And that works the other way around too.

J

This is my experience as well. When I travel in the Grills, I certainly don't make a point of mentioning it unless it comes up in conversation, such as: "What sitting are you on?" I get the impression that others in the Grills keep a low profile about their accommodation.

Regarding the QE and QV there have been comments from some that those in the Grills proudly display their "key cards" on the lifts. Well, that is inevitable as you must insert the card in the control panel in order to gain access to the Grills deck. But this not required on the QM2.