New York To St. Johns-June 2016

Jeffrey1950

I am booked on this sailing for four days on the Sunshine. Have done the same trip on The Glory a few years ago however, that was in the month of August. Weather was great. If you have done this sailing in the month of June please tell me what kind of weather you experienced. Were the days too chilly to be on deck? Of cause we cannot predict the weather but it would give me an idea of what to expect from your past experience. Also, what kind of clothing did you take for day wear?

Thanks, by the way what about the seas was there much motion...choppy or calm? Looking forward to your comments !! Thanks in advance !!

Funny! I was trying to figure out how you'd get to St. Johns in the Virgin Islands for a 4 day cruise!!

Me too! Sad to say my second though was why would NY to the Caribbean be to cold in June.

I remember a post from him a month or so ago, and he means Saint John New Brunswick. I thought I explained the difference then between St John's NL and Saint John NB. Two very nice cities, but also unique and nowhere close to each other. (same country, different provinces and many miles apart)

Edited by SMSACE6

Our first cruise was a 5-day Canada cruise in June from NYC on Carnival Victory. Since then we've done 6 additional NYC-Canada cruises, although all July and August. For any of these cruises, I always recommend being prepared for anything - one day can be sunny and warm, the next cloudy and cool. It was chilly the day we were in Saint John on that first cruise. We packed a little of everything. And yes, we could enjoy deck activities on that cruise, although nights are chilly. Personally, I think they should use ships with a Magrodome on this itinerary so one of the pools can be covered. Sunshine lost her Magrodome when she converted from Destiny.

As for motion - we had none on the June cruise. In fact, most of our Canada cruises have been fairly calm, with the exception of the two Labor Day weekend cruises we did, both of which were impacted by storms - and even those were not too choppy. One word of caution on weather, though - fog. Some of our cruises have had lots of fog, others have been fog-free. The June cruise was a mix - the fog came and went. When there is fog, the ship will sound its horn every few minutes. I personally like hearing the horn, as it reminds me that I'm on a ship - but others are startled by it.

We've done this itinerary twice, once in late July (Victory, 2006) and this year in June (Splendor). It was 82 when we left NYC and 62 in St. John (albeit sunny and beautiful). I agree with the fog - we had the never ending fog horn on our first trip (along with following a tropical storm). This last one, nothing. Calmest seas ever on the way up, pretty nasty on the way back (they canceled our Behind the Fun tour for safety reasons...it was pretty rough for a bit). Pack for summer and fall, and you should be good :). We live in CT, so sailing out of NYC is the best....I think it's the best sail away. We love this itinerary - it's a great getaway for a few days, and we'll definitely be doing it again. Enjoy!

I did in in July and it was so foggy the outer decks were closed all the way up and all the way back. The seas were rough the whole time. We had to wear jeans and sweatshirts the whole time. The day we were in St. Johns it was very warm and a beautiful day. St Johns was beautiful but I would never do this cruise again. I know others have had a good experience but not me. Sorry.

I have done this cruise more than a dozen times. I almost feel like a local when in town. lol.

It is always spelt Saint John.

The one time I took the 1st or 2nd cruise up to Canada, is was very cool inside and outside on the ship. I found I couldn't warm up anywhere, I know always take a sweatjacket and layers.

Saint John is usually foggy in the am and seems to rain and then clear most times. Its 5 - 10 degrees warmer the more inland you go.

Its a wonderful part of Canada with lots of info about the town under Ports Of Call.

Karen