Underwater Camera recommendations

Kiwi_cruiser

We currently have a Fujifilm Fine Pix A820 with an underwater housing and we had a Olympus Tough (TG610), but unlucky due to human error while we where on our last cruise the camera leaked :( and is now not working right....

so we are now looking at replacing the Tough and also maybe to replace the Fujifilm as well, as its getting old (its about 6 - 7 years old now).

For those who have a Underwater Camera. What would you recommend??

We currently have a Fujifilm Fine Pix A820 with an underwater housing and we had a Olympus Tough (TG610), but unlucky due to human error while we where on our last cruise the camera leaked :( and is now not working right....

so we are now looking at replacing the Tough and also maybe to replace the Fujifilm as well, as its getting old (its about 6 - 7 years old now).

What is your budget? Any other considerations?

Thanks.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/2491269399/2014-waterproof-camera-roundup

A review to read

If you want to stay with a point and shoot I'd consider the TG-2 or TG-3. It's fast lens is a big benefit for underwater shots where a strobe can often cause trouble. It also has a higher water resistance depth though nothing can protect against a hair or grain of sand left on a seal when closing a compartment.

Super loved earlier this year BOTH your Auckland and spectacular New Zealand. As noted in the live/blog below, we did much, including for the Great Barrier Reef before starting our cruise.

It was the Nikon AW110 that I used earlier this year while visiting and doing snorkeling in the famed Great Barrier Reef at Lizard Island. Below are a couple of samples from there. Plus another above water example done pool-side on the Big Island of Hawaii as we stopped over to break up our long travel back home to the Midwest.

Looking forward in a few months to using this underwater camera in the Caribbean and in the Amazon River region. Plus, my regular Nikon D7100.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 76,338 views for this fun posting.

Here are the results from both our snorkeling efforts and to try out my new Nikon AW110 underwater camera. Not sure how and/or if it all would work OK in both important categories. Shot about 260 underwater pictures and it was very unclear when under water, what would turn out and how, if at all, these pictures would look. Just two quick samples below. Fun to use and see the results.:

GBRLizIslanReef1_zpsd2288c6f.jpg

GBRLizIslanReef_zpse59da67b.jpg

Here is where we were for our final morning on the Big Island at the pools of the Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort. I used my Nikon AW110 waterproof camera to capture these fun images. Tested all three pools, did the waterside downward using the video feature to capture that action, etc. It's hard work to test and check out such locations. It was another perfect weather day!!:

BigIslandDepartA1_zps820ac087.jpg

It's hard work to test and check out such locations. It was another perfect weather day!!:

LOL! Sign me up for that gig!

We bit the bullet and bought a Nikon AW120 a few weeks ago. While I can't speak for the underwater action (our cruise is 2 weeks away), I will say that I'm impressed with the picture quality and performance so far. It blows the first-gen waterproof Olympus we had out of the water (pun sort of intended :) ).

• 1 month later...
What is your budget? Any other considerations?

Thanks.

I am not very worried about budget, because the price over there in the USA will be different to here in New Zealand / Australia.

I am more just after feedback and recommendations :)

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to make a post about my first impressions of the Nikon AW110 I bought this summer and just used on 2 weeks of cruising. I bought it specifically for snorkeling. Let me say I have a Cannon D10 as well and have had it for years. The Nikon has some nice features and takes pretty good pictures especially out of the water however I was not impressed with it in the water for one major reason. I found out very quickly that on a sunny day in the water you can not see the screen very well at all because of the glare. I had a lot of trouble seeing what I was taking a picture of because of the glare. When the sun wasn't out or a cloud passed I could see it fine of course your best pictures are usually captured with lots of light. On the 2nd snorkel trip I brightened the screen and this helped some but not much. In comparison, I never have this problem with the Cannon maybe because the screen is smaller. The next item I noticed was the battery doesn't seem to last as long as the Cannon. The good news is if I could see and take the picture they seemed to be pretty good. If I had to buy again I would go back to cannon or try the new Olympus. Just my quick thoughts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• 2 weeks later...
Lots of good info here. Hoping to put a waterproof on my Christmas list so I have it for my March cruise.

Keep the suggestions coming. Hoping to snag something on a black friday deal.

I just purchased the Liquid Image snorkel camera/mask since I don't need an above-water camera. Will (hopefully) be testing it out in a few weeks.

• 2 months later...