amateur photographer going on cruise-get sony rx100 or olympus tg-3?

Going on a cruise this spring and was looking into the Olympus tg3 to bring with us. Then I looked on ebay and realized I could get a used sony rx100 (first generation) for a similar price. I have looked at this camera in the past because it seems to be a good one. Wondering if I should get that instead. We have a dslr, but sometimes it seems too big to cart around. Currently I just use my phone to take pictures. The original purpose was to take it on excursions. We are also going to Wisconsin Dells and I would take dance pictures from competitions and casual ones. So should I:

1. get the olympus tg-3

2. get the sony rx100

3. get a underwater case for iphone

4. other suggestion?

Thanks!

Going on a cruise this spring and was looking into the Olympus tg3 to bring with us. Then I looked on ebay and realized I could get a used sony rx100 (first generation) for a similar price. I have looked at this camera in the past because it seems to be a good one. Wondering if I should get that instead. We have a dslr, but sometimes it seems too big to cart around. Currently I just use my phone to take pictures. The original purpose was to take it on excursions. We are also going to Wisconsin Dells and I would take dance pictures from competitions and casual ones. So should I:

1. get the olympus tg-3

2. get the sony rx100

4. other suggestion?

Thanks!

Picking "one" camera is a difficult compromise as you already realized. The best camera as another poster here often says is the one you have with you! So a big, expensive, or cumbersome one that isn't with you when you need to take a picture is of little value no matter how awesome it is.

I am a believer of having 3 at the moment

1) DSLR: No compromise that yields the best result in any light/conditions but is big, heavy and often is $$$$$+ for body and lenses

2) Compact: So many choices here, but getting more segmented as the smartphone is eating all the cheap options

3) Smartphone: its just with you everywhere and for 90% of pictures and snapshots so convenient, sharable easy, and always with you!

Everyone's need is different, I'd get a cheap waterproof case for iPhone and take your DSLR and invest in a good lense.

For dance pictures ( I shoot a lot of dance these days ), can't imagine anything but a DSLR and 70-200 2.8 or 24-70 2.8 depending on where you are. I've seen the iPhone / P&S versus DSLR and a world of difference if you want "good" pictures :D

A few resource to read about the best alternatives at the moment:

http://www.dpreview.com/buying-guides?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=features-default&utm_medium=homepage-block&ref=features-default

http://www.imaging-resource.com/WB/WB.HTM

I have an RX100 (first gen) and an Olympus TG2. In my eyes, the RX100 takes better pictures, probably because it has a bigger sensor, but you have to know how to use it to get good shots. It has a lot of settings in the menu and you have to remember to change things back to normal when you've been playing with them. It can be very sharp edge to edge. It has more megapixels and a better digital zoom (which I don't ever use.) It is now a 2-3 year old camera, which is okay if you're the first owner, but buying it off ebay you won't know how well it has been treated.

I found the TG2 easy to pick up and use. It's a very nice cruise camera, because it is waterproof and I would be happy to take it to the sandy beach and rinse it off afterwards - not a great idea for the RX100.:eek: The TG3 should be very similar, but better as it is an upgraded model. I am taking the TG2 on our upcoming cruise. I used it when snorkeling last year, but did not get great shots. I'm hoping to do better this year. There are some scene modes for underwater - I think I used the wrong one. I also found some cool add-ons for the Olympus cameras at amazon.com: a floaty strap, a ring light attachment, and telephoto and wide angle lenses. I didn't get the lenses, but the ring light is nice if you like to do closeups. I think it will be great for food shots on the cruise.

(Not taking the RX100 this trip, but the RX10 so I will have better zoom capability -- but it definitely does not get to go to the beach!)

the Sony RX100 takes remarkable pictures for a point and shoot. I typically walk around with DSLRs and extra lenses - I've been serious about photography since 1981 - but the Sony's quality is amazing. I used it on our cruise, particularly on excursions, and was thrilled with its performance. The Nikon DSLR still does better, but most people wouldn't be able to see the difference.

The Sony shoots very nice video as well.

If you're wanting an underwater camera, consider the GoPro HERO 4 Silver instead of a case for your phone. You can shoot still images as well as video with the GoPro, and the camera includes a case that is safe underwater down to 130 feet. I don't know how many cameras I've owned in the past 30+ years, but the GoPro is the funnest camera I've ever used. Its capabilities are amazing.

• 2 weeks later...

1. get the olympus tg-3

2. get the sony rx100

4. other suggestion?

Thanks!

RX100 is not bad.

image.jpg.82149bede18a6fde7d530a49af8fe027.jpg

The RX100 is the better camera for image quality, by far. The only advantage of the Olympus TG3 is is you are REALLY REALLY ROUGH with it, if you want to go UNDER water with it, if you want to drop it off a cliff.

You mention wanting to take pictures of dance competitions: Truthfully, though neither camera would be ideal for such situations, the RX100 would be far far superior to the TG3.. dance competitions are low light (whether they seem it or not), and the TG3 will be nearly useless in that type of situation.

You'll get higher resolution out of the RX100, better AF... really, it's just better at everything, EXCEPT going under water.

You mentioned wanting it for excursions: In other words, do you want a camera that can do under the water and take underwater pics, or just a camera that you can take to the beach? I've had no problem taking the RX100 to the beach. I've even stood in the water with it. You don't want to drop it into the water, but it's not like a few drops of water would break it.

9681804801_23cbd72e8a_b.jpgBermuda Horseshoe Bay by Havoc315, on Flickr

9681727613_7124a4c396_b.jpgHorseshoe Bay shortly after Sunrise by Havoc315, on Flickr

9685049362_a81726908d_b.jpgHorseshoe Bay Beach Bermuda by Havoc315, on Flickr

• 3 weeks later...

We've carried a couple of the Olympus Tough models over the past several years and recently the one my wife uses quit. Bought a TG-3 and it's nearly as good on land as my Canon 110. Easy to use, shock proof, waterproof and nice zoom lens. Shop around for these, I got Best Buy to match Adoramas price.

Edited by BallFour4