Cash or credit

Profix

I have done cruises in the past and Mostly pay for things on islands with cash for the most part. However my friends & I are going to Bermuda in June and My friends mother in law says we cannot use American money there and must use credit. Is there any truth to this ?

thank you in advance

I don't know where she heard that. They readily accept US currency in Bermuda, give you change in US currency and the US dollar and the Bermudian dollar are on par.

I have done cruises in the past and Mostly pay for things on islands with cash for the most part. However my friends & I are going to Bermuda in June and My friends mother in law says we cannot use American money there and must use credit. Is there any truth to this ?

thank you in advance

Never trust a friends mother in law.....[emoji33][emoji33][emoji33]

As stated just bring US money, in fact last time we were there I wanted to get some Bermuda money for a souvenir and it was hard to find, at least in the touristy areas. A nice cashier at the Frog & Onion went into her purse and hooked us up (she was originally from Boston).

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

In addition, as it was my experience at various shops, attractions, and restaurants all credit card purchases are transacted in US$.

The Bermuda Dollar is pegged to the US Dollar so it might appear that way, as they are equivalent, but if your credit card charges foreign transaction fees, many have them, you could have a 3 per cent fee. In Bermuda I only use one of my cards that does not charge foreign transaction fees.

By the way if you go to an ATM for cash you will get the Bermudian currency. That can't be exchanged except in Bermuda so you don't want to do that.

Edited by Charles4515

In addition, as it was my experience at various shops, attractions, and restaurants all credit card purchases are transacted in US$.

If yo do not have a credit card that waves foreign transactions fees you will incur one even though it looks like and is tied to US Dollar.

Thank you all for your answers. I didn't think it was accurate but I definitely wanted to find out. I will also find out from my cc company if they charge a foreign country try fee behand.

Thank you all for your answers. I didn't think it was accurate but I definitely wanted to find out. I will also find out from my cc company if they charge a foreign country try fee behand.

Assuming the CC company does not charge fees, see if you have to tell them that you will be going overseas. I have two companies that I use overseas; Discover and CapitalOne QuickSilver. Neither has fees. But you have to tell them that you may be using them when you are away from your home area. I am in NY and both have been sometimes declined use if suddenly I use it in Nassau for instance. When you log into you account on the website, there is a link to tell them that it may be used out of your area. You specify countries and dates. Or you can call the phone number on the card and tell them that way.

While it is inconvenient to have your card denied, it is a great security feature to prevent usage if you card/number has been stolen.

• 3 months later...
As stated just bring US money, in fact last time we were there I wanted to get some Bermuda money for a souvenir and it was hard to find, at least in the touristy areas. A nice cashier at the Frog & Onion went into her purse and hooked us up (she was originally from Boston).

i'm very interested in getting a smattering of local currency and coins. is hitting up a local the best way to do this? i'm not a very forward person but i guess they are used to it in the tourist areas

i'm very interested in getting a smattering of local currency and coins. is hitting up a local the best way to do this? i'm not a very forward person but i guess they are used to it in the tourist areas

Do you mean, just walk up to a person and ask.:confused: Bermudians are very friendly and always eager to help but I would find this a bit strange. Just ask in a store.

Last time I was at Dockyard the store I went to (think it was the Pharmacy) only had US paper money for my change. They apologized that the coins would be Bermudian as they did not have american coins.

I was fine with something with the Queens image on it ;)

YMMV

If you go to Hamilton or St. George's they have banks.

What we did was simply just ask the cashier when we bought something if they happened to have Bermuda currency we could get back as change on our purchase. Most places told us they only had US currency though.

Assuming But you have to tell them that you may be using them when you are away from your home area. I am in NY and both have been sometimes declined use if suddenly I use it in Nassau for instance. When you log into you account on the website, there is a link to tell them that it may be used out of your area. You specify countries and dates. Or you can call the phone number on the card and tell them that way.

While it is inconvenient to have your card denied, it is a great security feature to prevent usage if you card/number has been stolen.

Since I paid for my airfare with American Express (didn't cruise this time), they notified me that I was going on a trip & gave me a couple of links for different things. They also said I would not have to notify them since they already knew I was traveling.

Since I paid for my airfare with American Express (didn't cruise this time), they notified me that I was going on a trip & gave me a couple of links for different things. They also said I would not have to notify them since they already knew I was traveling.

You don't need to notify American Express if you have a Platinum Card. They don't even take notifications. I don't know about other AMEX cards. With Master Card and Visa you usually need to notify the card issuer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk