Private tour gratuity

CalJas

1) Going to do the Glacier flight and dog sled in Juneau - $580 per person.

2) Skagway - private guide and vehicle for 7 hours to go to Emerald Lake, plus all the stops, $850

Curious to what the expected gratuity would be for these tours? 10, 15 or 20% of the total cost? I know it is always at discretion, though curious on what others think to be appropriate.

I'm generous with my tipping. Typically, it is less than restaurant percentages. With a private tour- I'd be tipping probably $50. Flights- it's usually around $10/20pp. for each the pilot and driver.

how do you tip if the operator is the owner? I would thought the price is factored in their total compensation. I would not hesitate to tip the folks who are just employees.

I don't agree with this. I don't care who owns the company. I tip who provides me a great experience.

How about private whale watching put of ISP and 2.5 hr van tour in Skagway. Just qn idea would be great!

Everyone is different, but on a private whale watch, for me, it would be at least $10pp. If the van tour, was a regular scheduled tour with other passengers, it would be at least $5pp

I wouldn't tip an owner operator. If on an expensive flightseeing tour the pilot is the owner, I feel they are earning a fair amount. I would tip the driver that takes me to the plane though. To me tipping is to compensate employees like drivers, waitstaff, porters etc for lower wages, (which we don't do over here as they are paid a fair wage, and thus our prices are higher) and not for paying an operator over and above the price of an excursion. But then I'm an Aussie, what do I know!

I wouldn't tip an owner operator. If on an expensive flightseeing tour the pilot is the owner, I feel they are earning a fair amount. I would tip the driver that takes me to the plane though. To me tipping is to compensate employees like drivers, waitstaff, porters etc for lower wages, (which we don't do over here as they are paid a fair wage, and thus our prices are higher) and not for paying an operator over and above the price of an excursion. But then I'm an Aussie, what do I know!

You are correct and most guides in the US are not considered part of the service industry and make a very nice living without any gratuities.

You are correct and most guides in the US are not considered part of the service industry and make a very nice living without any gratuities.

"most"?? Where are the supporting facts about this in Alaska? Especially with a short seasonal business? Tips are a big part of a guide's compensation, in my opinion.

"most"?? Where are the supporting facts about this in Alaska? Especially with a short seasonal business? Tips are a big part of a guide's compensation, in my opinion.

I guess the reason prices in Alaska are so much higher for excursions is to take into account the short seasonal business. Having to dig deep to pay $500- 600 for 2 people for a 2 hour floatplane trip and then having to tip on top of that is not something I think is fair or should be expected. I would absolutely tip where it's warranted but sometimes it shouldn't be.

Last time we were on a floatplane trip, I tipped the owner and his wife twenty dollars which didn't seem like much compared to the cost of the tour...but the wife seemed touched and she ran in her office and came out with a really nice embroidered shirt for our son. We are going with them again and plan to purchase some shirts from them if they have them this season again.

Budget Queen or anyone that may know - are you talking tours privately booked outside of the ships offerings or all tours?

This thread caught my eye as I did book a kayaking trip privately in Ketchikan and was curious if and how much I should tip the guides.

Our other excursions were booked through the ship and now I am curious if we should be tipping them as well?

I am generally a generous tipper as well and I do not want anyone to be slighted.

Thank you in advance for your responses. Kim

We tip and offer our thanks when it's appropriate - private tour or cruise line sponsored. The cruise line sponsored excursions are run by private tour companies under contract to the lines.

Alaska excursions are truly pricey. But even a small tip and a smile of thanks are easy enough to do.

I've been told that many in the service industry have to pay taxes on their tips (as estimated by the IRS). Does anyone know if this also applies to guides/tours?

We tip and offer our thanks when it's appropriate - private tour or cruise line sponsored. The cruise line sponsored excursions are run by private tour companies under contract to the lines.

Alaska excursions are truly pricey. But even a small tip and a smile of thanks are easy enough to do.

I've been told that many in the service industry have to pay taxes on their tips (as estimated by the IRS). Does anyone know if this also applies to guides/tours?

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! At least I we will be prepared to tip. I appreciate your answer- Kim

We also tip excursions booked both ways. However we have always been taught it's not proper to tip owners but since We are not regulars and don't know who is the owner or not we tip, lol.

for all who might be interested in dog sledding on the glacier....On the Herbert Glacier, the equipment is flying up today....Quite a job to get the snow machines, tents, dog houses, and last but not least dogs up there...It is enormously expensive to run a glacier operation...BTW, most of the dogs have been there before, and they know exactly what will happen. It is a fascinating procedure to set up a camp.....and tons of difficult labor...

Tips are tips are tips. Waiters, tour guides, strippers - line of work is irrelevant.

I just want to make sure I understand this....This is my 1st cruise and don't travel hardly at all. So, we have a tour (not booked through cruiseline) for whale watching in Juneau. Are you saying we should tip driver to tour? And coming off boat? And driver dropping us off?? What about booked via the cruiseline? We are doing a Klondike Family Experience..so how would you tip for that?? I'm sorry, I may be naive but don't want to look stupid!! I want to make sure I'm aware of what should be tipped!!! Thank you for any advice!!!

I assume that tour companies are like restaurants and pool their tips. We give a tip to the person we've had contact with (pilot, guide, etc.). I assume they share it with the others. (Perhaps I'm naive?)

Don't feel compelled to tip more than you can afford.

Tipping is a personal thing, for us we tip based on service provided. So for bus drivers if they go beyond the duty of driving the bus, we give them a small tip. The driver in Juneau was great he basically gave a verbal tour as he drove. He had great knowledge. There was one other large family group on the bus with us, on the ride up and back to the ship they kept hammering him to go through the drive thru at mcdonalds or some fast food place, to the point of being obnoxious about it. They kept saying that we wouldn't mind. The drive looked at us in the review mirror and I guess our face said it all. We had had enough and were about to say something to them. So he quickly gaged the situation and said how about I pull over up here and y'all can walk to where ever and then told them how the the ship was. He then pulled over and they got off. We tipped him $15, way more than normal, but he did his job above and beyond.