Has Carnival Victory broken down in Cozumel

BermudaMom

My daughter and friends are on the Victory and she jet called from shore in Cozumel and said Carnival won't let passengers back on the ship and all they've been told is the ship has no power. Has anyone else heard anything about this at all?

I will. He is able to message me still because he is at a bar with wifi close to the port, but he still can't get on. He is with a group of 500 people so I seriously hope there are no major issues and this boat can still travel. What is the protocol in these situations? Are power losses common?

No idea of the protocol. She was frustrated cause she said they weren't being told anything except they can't board and the ship has no power. I looked at the Carnival website, their Facebook page and tried to call the Carnival numbers but nothing.

I looked on the ports web cam and you can see the ship. Am concerned as she's with 5 other girlfriends. Hope Carnival takes care of all their passengers and makes sure they're safe whether on shore or on board.

If it were my daughter, I'd be worried too. The girls should all stick together and stay close to the ship.

Edited by oncruisecontrol

Are power losses common?

In a word: No

One of the larger issues these days, and I am not saying it is the cause here, is the deferring of expensive maintenance / replacement. The chief engineer says we need to overhaul this or replace that, and corporate says: "It can wait another month or two" . Well, sometimes it does and sometimes it does not, and the result is, well....

We'll see what happened here, but do not expect a truthful answer from any cruise line.

Cruise ships, as do aircraft require constant and exacting maintenance and parts replacement, and this work is often not cheap. When you defer such work to a later date you will pay for it one way or another.

Again, I am not saying such was the cause here, but the answer you get will probably never be the truth.

My daughter and friends are on the Victory and she jet called from shore in Cozumel and said Carnival won't let passengers back on the ship and all they've been told is the ship has no power. Has anyone else heard anything about this at all?

All Carnival ships have now been equipped with emergency generators ever since the stranding of the Splendor several years ago. I am sure that things will be OK. At least they are in port. Carnival will take care of their passengers. They always do.

I looked on the ports web cam and you can see the ship. Am concerned as she's with 5 other girlfriends. Hope Carnival takes care of all their passengers and makes sure they're safe whether on shore or on board.

How do they control what happens to the passengers in port?