Has Carnival Victory broken down in Cozumel

BermudaMom

From Carnival...

.. Earlier today, Carnival Victory experienced a technical issue which disrupted the vessel's primary power supply while the ship was docked in Cozumel, Mexico. The majority of guests were off the ship when the initial power loss occurred.

Initially, basic auxiliary power was restored and then gradually primary power. At this time, the ship's hotel systems are operational including food service, entertainment, activities, air conditioning, water and safety and sanitation systems.

The vessel's technical management team is continuing to evaluate the root cause of the earlier power failure. Carnival Victory's originally scheduled departure time from Cozumel is 10pm eastern time.

It sure was a long day in Cozumel. Between 3 - 4 pm the ship lost power to majority of its services. The power was not fully restored until about 9pm. At this point although power was restored the ships network was still down. The line to board the ship was 2+ hours as they only allowed their 2700+ passengers to board 5 people at a time as they took everyone's information by hand. The metal detector was broken so passengers were wanded and frisked slowly. By the time most passengers boarded it was after 10 pm and they had closed the resturant and majority of buffets. If you were ok with some truly half-azzed pizza or burned burgers and dogs then you wouldn't have to starve, otherwise you were out of luck. It took until around 11:30 before internet was restored. My 75 year old parents who were watching our 5 children were relieved to finally hear from us 5.5 hours after our missed checkin. The boat has left port safe and sound however the crew and management have done absolutely nothing to compensate the 2700+ passengers for this incredible and significant inconveinace. Needless to say we will not be travelling with carnival again after this and many other grievances. I will be writing reviews on every cruise site I can find upon completion of this voyage. Truly truly disappointing.

Mischelle Beattie Coccera Earlier today, Carnival Victory experienced a technical issue which disrupted the vessel's primary power supply while the ship was docked in Cozumel, Mexico. The majority of guests were off the ship when the initial power loss occurred.

Initially, basic auxiliary power was restored and then gradually primary power. At this time, the ship's hotel systems are operational including food service, entertainment, activities, air conditioning, water and safety and sanitation systems.

The vessel's technical management team is continuing to evaluate the root cause of the earlier power failure. Carnival Victory's originally scheduled departure time from Cozumel is 10pm eastern time.

- Mischelle

----------------------------------------

Mischelle Beattie Coccera Updated statement:

Earlier today, Carnival Victory experienced a technical issue which disrupted the vessel's primary power supply while the ship was docked in Cozumel, Mexico. The ship is expected to depart Cozumel momentarily with no impact to its originally scheduled itinerary.

----------------------------------------

and then they were gone...

It sure was a long day in Cozumel. Between 3 - 4 pm the ship lost power to majority of its services. The power was not fully restored until about 9pm. At this point although power was restored the ships network was still down. The line to board the ship was 2+ hours as they only allowed their 2700+ passengers to board 5 people at a time as they took everyone's information by hand. The metal detector was broken so passengers were wanded and frisked slowly. By the time most passengers boarded it was after 10 pm and they had closed the resturant and majority of buffets. If you were ok with some truly half-azzed pizza or burned burgers and dogs then you wouldn't have to starve, otherwise you were out of luck. It took until around 11:30 before internet was restored. My 75 year old parents who were watching our 5 children were relieved to finally hear from us 5.5 hours after our missed checkin. The boat has left port safe and sound however the crew and management have done absolutely nothing to compensate the 2700+ passengers for this incredible and significant inconveinace. Needless to say we will not be travelling with carnival again after this and many other grievances. I will be writing reviews on every cruise site I can find upon completion of this voyage. Truly truly disappointing.

Exactly what were/are you expecting?

The one point that this poster has made that I do agree with is that Carnival should have had some level of food service (perhaps leaving the buffet open later - even if they scaled down the number of food items) for all those forced to wait to get back on the ship.

Edited by lizardhowson

For starters. I presume a fully functional ship. I guess that redundant caterpillar generator up top is really for show only, as speculated.

What do you (or whoever was speculating) think the reserve cats are for? If you think one little generator could supply total power to a ship, that would be wrong. I love how we have the make believe engineers ready to jump in.

Stuff happens. Luckily they were not at sea when the generator went down. I think the op should buy their 75 year old parents a meal in the steakhouse for watching their 5 children while they were off ship having fun in Coz!!:)

For starters. I presume a fully functional ship. I guess that redundant caterpillar generator up top is really for show only, as speculated.

You are way off base with this statement. Those generators are for lighting for inside areas and other basic functions, not for a full functioning ship.

We all expect full function and to never have a problem with our cars, refrigerators, home anything, but they break down. They break down with no warning usually.

What do you (or whoever was speculating) think the reserve cats are for? If you think one little generator could supply total power to a ship, that would be wrong. I love how we have the make believe engineers ready to jump in.

It was to keep basic hotel functions operating, like lights and toilets. Not keeping patrons from boarding the ship for hours, abandoned.

The power loss is either an isolated incident or a sentinel of a larger lack of maintenance ... the pilot was right ... we may never know.

And yes, Carnival should comp the inconvenienced customers ... cruise lines repositioned themselves to be a hospitality industry rather than a travel industry. I would expect a hotel to comp me if it lost power.

It was to keep basic hotel functions operating, like lights and toilets. Not keeping patrons from boarding the ship for hours, abandoned.

They weren't abandoned. The ship was right there and not going anywhere. Go to one of the several restaurants and eat dinner. Do some more shopping and have some fun. Speaking from experience, it is best to have something go wrong while in port and not out at sea.

What compensation are you looking for?

If they had no power, they had no power to cook and put on a fancy buffet for you and 2700+ passengers upon re-embarking.... be realistic. I am sure they did their best, but with unexpected issues like this, they have little options. Do you think they would call the local Domino's and say, yeah... well we kinda need 3000 pizza's and make it quick. An standing in line for 2 hours is moronic.... I'd be sitting and watching from the bar or restaurant, or just chilling on a bench until the line dwindled down... people need to make such issues about these things. Yes, I am sure it was very inconvenient, but I am sure people like you made it more difficult for the rest...

Had an old guy on my cruise a couple of weeks ago ranting and raving in the Platinum lounge waiting to get off because he had 33 cruises with Carnival and it wasn't fair that he had to wait to get off the ship after the self assist'ers.... downright tragedy, he wouldn't shut it, so I had to intervene and put him back in his place, because he was tearing up one of the young entertainment staffers.... and of course, it was only 7:30am, but he couldn't believe that we were forced into "third class treatment..."

Stranded for a few hours in a carribean port... oh darn... let's go shopping some more, or have another beer..

Can't wait for some of these cruisers to get home and start hitting up Cruise Critic...

Edited by poison7fl

Is it always Carnival were these things happen a lot, cause i believe Carnival has a lot of problems:(

Or are accidents happening a lot on other companies aswell??

Google events at sea, you will find one page in particular that will have possibly more cruise-related mishaps than you probably care to know about.