Philipsburg in the evening.

BIG_Steve

Compared to what is my first thought. If it were me and my wife, I would consider Philipsburg generally, and the boardwalk and path all the way back to the ship, as safe in the evening - particularly if there is a ship or ships at pier. But, I would not want to be walking in a dark deserted area - and the wife would not be wearing her good jewelry or carrying a purse. My basic answer is "yes," it is safe but obviously there are no guarantees anywhere.

Compared to what is my first thought. If it were me and my wife, I would consider Philipsburg generally, and the boardwalk and path all the way back to the ship, as safe in the evening - particularly if there is a ship or ships at pier. But, I would not want to be walking in a dark deserted area - and the wife would not be wearing her good jewelry or carrying a purse. My basic answer is "yes," it is safe but obviously there are no guarantees anywhere.

We just there for 2 weeks & often walked around the town in the evenings. Front street & the Boardwalk are pretty good, after 5 there isn't a whole lot open mostly just the bars & restaurants. In the words of one the locals not wear your good jewelry because we do have necklace snatchers. When in doubt stay on the Boardwalk it's well lit & traveled because of the bars.

We have also stayed in St Maarten and spent time on the boardwalk in the evening. We never felt unsafe, but there are no guarantees that it is always safe. Just be aware of your surroundings. I also never wear a lot of jewelry on any island.

We've spent many evenings in Philipsburg, for dinner and drinks, and consider Frontstreet and the Boardwalk 'relatively' safe, just be careful and aware.

That said, I don't think I'd walk back to the Cruise Facility.

If the Water Taxi is still running, take that for a wonderful view. Otherwise, a taxi should be well under $10.

gary

• 2 weeks later...

We've been in Phillipsburg on Saturday evenings until about 8:00 - there has always been a fair number of people walking about. I suppose later on when it is quieter things would be different - but the general rule about being careful at night applies anywhere.

We've been in Phillipsburg on Saturday evenings until about 8:00 - there has always been a fair number of people walking about. I suppose later on when it is quieter things would be different - but the general rule about being careful at night applies anywhere.

There are places on the island such as the Maho entertainment area that I feel perfectly safe in at midnight but I wouldn't say that about downtown Philipsburg or downtown Marigot, Sandy Ground or even Grand Case. Simpson Bay especially near the timeshare area might be the other place that I personally would feel safe around midnight. Beaches are also off limit to me after dark.

Edited by Karysa