Another boring drinks package thread

I'm taking my first Thomson cruise on 14th November to the Canaries.

It's not an all inclusive cruise and I've been quoted £199.00 per person for a drinks package i.e. £398.00 for both of us for seven nights which I have to book at least three days before the cruise.

I'm told it's possible to buy drinks packages once I'm on the boat but I can't find out of what they're likely to consist or whether they're likely to cost more than buying the package in advance.

Any advice?

Thanks

R

Hi swyre in our experience they are not always available on board ship, but when they are the full package is slightly more expensive. Though sometimes beer & wine packages are sold. We have always bought the package before boarding, they are not as good value as they used to be, but still worth having in our opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

At first glance, Thats a lot of money for 7 days. But, if you reckon the price of drinks being roughly uk pub prices, you would need to have about 6 drinks each per day to be in pocket. That's an easy target if you have a cocktail or two at sunset and a couple of glasses of wine at dinner, then maybe a couple of night caps later. We have just returned from the Celebration; cocktails were from £3.60 to £4.95. Beer about £2.90. Add in a speciality coffee or two and you are close to break even. Depends on how much you drink I guess.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is a recurring topic hereabouts.

From what I've read (and agree with) the majority consensus is that £199 x 2 for a 7 night cruises is not a good deal - unless, as shot2bits suggests, you enjoy a wee swally.

It's all about opinions and personal taste.

Edited by WeeCountyMan
punctuation

The last day of your cruise they put a bar bill through your door - we were on AI but it's interesting to see how much you have drunk. We had a couple of glasses of wine at dinner and 2-3 drinks through the evening. Also a few beers/soft drinks during the day - not excessive but we didn't go without. We added up our bill and it came to £250 for a week. Not sure if this helps you make up your mind but personally I would just pay for what you use - £398 seems a lot.

In addition to the AI package, as had already been mentioned, there are also wine and beer packages. Last time we were on the Dream and the Majesty they were offering wine packages (also a beer package on Majesty - but don't think it was available on Dream though) which were definitely worth it for us. You purchased a given number of bottles and there was quite a lot of choice and it represented a decent discount on the menu prices of the bottles. You were given vouchers which you just exchanged when you wanted to - in any bar or eating venue. These could only be bought on board and wine stewards were being quite proactive in trying to sell them in the first day or so of the cruise. If that is of interest to you perhaps those who have recently returned from cruises could confirm whether they are still being sold and if it's wine only or wine and beer.

Paid the £199 per head on Celebration last year and even though we had quite a few drinks I don't think we covered the cost especially as on the first day we did not arrive at the ship until around 8pm. This year on Majesty we paid £98 per head and it was definitely a saving. Next year we have already booked on Celebration again but this time DP is only £70 per head. So happy days.

In summary I would say from experience that the £199 per person is not a good option. The only good thing about it is that you have already paid the money before you get on the ship. Therefore if you stick to the standard drinks there is no more money to pay.

Booked the Caribbean Quest on Celebration between 15 Nov - 30 Nov online bout 3 weeks ago.

Was given the option of all-inclusive drinks for £300 (total) for the pair of us, and jumped at it.

Last weekend I took another peek online, and the same deal was £798!

I've just checked out the cost of our 1st February Celebration cruise and the AI is now full price. We got it for £10 a night per person. Comparing like for like, the cruise is now £350 more expensive. Expect it will come down in price again nearer sail time.