Solstice Tender Times for Independent Excursions Bay of Islands

Hi all, we are cruising NZ in January 2015 with Celebrity Solstice. In the Bay of Islands, the ship arrives at 7am and leaves at 6pm. We would like to get off and over to Russell by 10am to spend a couple of hours there, then catch the ferry back to Paihia for a private excursion to Kerikeri leaving at 1.15pm and returning to Paihia at 4.15pm. As we are not using ship's tours, are we optimistic in thinking we can get to Russell by 10am? Assuming we have to be back on board by 5.30pm, do the shuttles run frequently enough to get us back to Waitangi in good time (we are with my parents, who would be unable to walk the distance back)? Appreciate any advice or comments from previous passengers of Solstice or other ships.

I haven't tried all those trips, but based on my experience and the ferry times here, it should be doable. The tightest connection looks like it would only be the last one, from Paihia.

Searching the ferry connections, there are morning services that fit in e.g. 8:30 a.m.

http://www.dolphincruises.co.nz/the-bay/paihia-russell-ferry-timetable/

I /think/ the last shuttle from Paihia was at 4 p.m. So you'd probably need to take a taxi, or get the guide to drop you at Waitangi instead - it's only a short distance.

One other thing is that tender tickets are allocated on board in advance, so you'll need to be up early to grab one of the first tender tickets in the morning. Not a big deal, but just so you know.

The tendering at Bay of Islands takes you to the marina type dock near the waitangi treaty grounds and the Copthorne Hotel and Resort, the tender will take anywhere from 10-20 mins. From there you take a free shuttle (donations if you want) to Paihia, which leaves when full and takes another ten minutes, you then need to catch the ferry.

10 am is doable but make sure you allow time to get to the ferry, sometimes the tendering can be slow.:D

We got one of the first tenders off the ship and were in Russell at around 10am from memory. For some reason not many people got of the ship early, I went down to line up for tender tickets thinking I'd get one for around 9am and got the first one! This might have just been a fluke though, after 17 days of cruising everyone probably just wanted a sleep in :D

Hi all, we are cruising NZ in January 2015 with Celebrity Solstice. In the Bay of Islands, the ship arrives at 7am and leaves at 6pm. We would like to get off and over to Russell by 10am to spend a couple of hours there, then catch the ferry back to Paihia for a private excursion to Kerikeri leaving at 1.15pm and returning to Paihia at 4.15pm. As we are not using ship's tours, are we optimistic in thinking we can get to Russell by 10am? Assuming we have to be back on board by 5.30pm, do the shuttles run frequently enough to get us back to Waitangi in good time (we are with my parents, who would be unable to walk the distance back)? Appreciate any advice or comments from previous passengers of Solstice or other ships.

i'd be concerned doing a private tour and returning at 4.15pm, if you miss the ship where is your next stop, Auckland and if its Sydney i'd be taking my passport just in case you have to fly home....that tours too risky

i'd be concerned doing a private tour and returning at 4.15pm, if you miss the ship where is your next stop, Auckland and if its Sydney i'd be taking my passport just in case you have to fly home....that tours too risky

If its a private tour the operators will be well aware of the return time and will adjust their timng to suit. KeriKeri is only 15 minutes drive away .

We got one of the first tenders off the ship and were in Russell at around 10am from memory. For some reason not many people got of the ship early, I went down to line up for tender tickets thinking I'd get one for around 9am and got the first one! This might have just been a fluke though, after 17 days of cruising everyone probably just wanted a sleep in :D

Yes, we went the other way and the first 5 tender groups tickets were taken within about 3 minutes.

Yes, we went the other way and the first 5 tender groups tickets were taken within about 3 minutes.

You can never know what the demand (for tenders) is going to be like at any port. My advice is plan for a busy period and long wait and if you get off earlier than that is time ashore to look around more.:D

You can never know what the demand (for tenders) is going to be like at any port. My advice is plan for a busy period and long wait and if you get off earlier than that is time ashore to look around more.:D

Exactly my suggestion - get there early! :D

Thanks everyone for the sound advice. Didn't realise the last shuttle would be as early as 4pm, and we are going Auckland to Sydney (Bay of Islands first stop) so early tender tickets will probably be in high demand. I will take the most cautious approach, as it is my parents' first cruise and I don't want to put them off by missing our first return to the ship and having to scramble our way to Tauranga!

Thanks everyone for the sound advice. Didn't realise the last shuttle would be as early as 4pm, and we are going Auckland to Sydney (Bay of Islands first stop) so early tender tickets will probably be in high demand. I will take the most cautious approach, as it is my parents' first cruise and I don't want to put them off by missing our first return to the ship and having to scramble our way to Tauranga!

That may be the most sensible option.:D

• 1 year later...

Hello all, we be arriving in the Bay of Islands, Nz in November 13th 2015 with Celebrity Solstice. The ship arrives at 7am and we booked an independent tour that leaves at 9:00 AM and requires to be at Paihia Wharf at 8:50AM.

Can anyone tell us how often the tender boats come in to pickup cruise passengers, what is the estimated number of people that fit in a tender boats, and what is the estimated time to get off the ship. We only have Celebrity "SELECT" membership, so we probably won't be able to get the priority tender boat access that "ELITE' members get.

Can anyone tell me fi we have any chances of arriving at Paihia Wharf by 8:50AM, or should we cancel this tour?

Any information you can provide or tips on how to get off the ship as soon as possible are GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks for your help

As long as you make an effort to make it (and there are no delays that stop everyone), you should be fine.

As I recall, I think we had about 3 running then. However, that doesn't make much difference of itself. The tenders are issued via tickets, and many tickets are issued in advance. So if you have a group requiring a certain time, you need to ensure that you get a tender ticket for a group arriving by that time.

With that window, as long as you prepare, you will be well able to meet that time.

Hello all, we be arriving in the Bay of Islands, Nz in November 13th 2015 with Celebrity Solstice. The ship arrives at 7am and we booked an independent tour that leaves at 9:00 AM and requires to be at Paihia Wharf at 8:50AM.

Can anyone tell us how often the tender boats come in to pickup cruise passengers, what is the estimated number of people that fit in a tender boats, and what is the estimated time to get off the ship. We only have Celebrity "SELECT" membership, so we probably won't be able to get the priority tender boat access that "ELITE' members get.

Can anyone tell me fi we have any chances of arriving at Paihia Wharf by 8:50AM, or should we cancel this tour?

Any information you can provide or tips on how to get off the ship as soon as possible are GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks for your help

I have answered your query on the Trip Advisor forum where you placed the same question.

For the person going to Russell at 10.00 am you may just get there. Regarding coming back get your tour operator to take you direct to the Waitangi wharf it is only a 5 minute drive away from the return roundabout. I am sure they will do that

In preparation for our 7am-6pm visit to Bay of Islands, I've been in contact with Fuller's, Explore and Paihia's i-SITE. Based on all their responses, we've opted NOT to pre-book an islands cruise due to the strong possibility that we won't make either company's 9am departure from Paihia.

Della from i-SITE emailed me that they are authorized brokers for both Fuller's and Explore as well as other attractions, so our plan is to head there as soon as we arrive in Paihia- hopefully there will be spaces available on one of the boats if we are there by 8:30. She also mentioned that extra cruises may be added when ships are scheduled.

Bay of Islands is our first port-of-call leaving from Auckland, so there is likely to be a rush for early tenders. Plan on taking advantage of our Elite status to get a spot on one of them.

In preparation for our 7am-6pm visit to Bay of Islands, I've been in contact with Fuller's, Explore and Paihia's i-SITE. Based on all their responses, we've opted NOT to pre-book an islands cruise due to the strong possibility that we won't make either company's 9am departure from Paihia.

Della from i-SITE emailed me that they are authorized brokers for both Fuller's and Explore as well as other attractions, so our plan is to head there as soon as we arrive in Paihia- hopefully there will be spaces available on one of the boats if we are there by 8:30. She also mentioned that extra cruises may be added when ships are scheduled.

Bay of Islands is our first port-of-call leaving from Auckland, so there is likely to be a rush for early tenders. Plan on taking advantage of our Elite status to get a spot on one of them.

Definitely make advantage of your Elite Status. I would expect as many extra trips as possible would be put on as the ship will have a number of boats pre booked. An advantage for the tourist is that all the operators and the I site are next door to each other or just across the road.

Plus they do wait around for people with bookings.

Although we had no issue making the time, there were some others who had bookings with the operator and we hung around for them to make it.

Let nobody underestimate the importance to the local economy of cruise ship visits. If a tour needs to wait a short period to allow a number of cruise ship passengers to join the tour then they will wait.

Plus they do wait around for people with bookings.

Although we had no issue making the time, there were some others who had bookings with the operator and we hung around for them to make it.

Let nobody underestimate the importance to the local economy of cruise ship visits. If a tour needs to wait a short period to allow a number of cruise ship passengers to join the tour then they will wait.

This is the email reply I received from Fuller's:

Thanks for your email

As far as we know at this stage the ship will tender to Waitangi Wharf and free shuttle buses will bring passengers to our departure point at Paihia Wharf

Whilst this is only a 5 minute ride, in our experience, your challenge will be getting onto an early tender. Checkin for our morning cruise is 8:45 am and as the ship generally reserves early tenders for excursions booked by them, you may not make that

You may be best to wait and see what time you actually get off the ship, as if you prebook and do not make it in time, our terms and conditions are such that no refund could be made. We often schedule extra short, cruises that suit the ship's schedules. The shuttles drop you at the front of our building so just pop into our office to check what is available on the day.

Regards and Safe Cruising

Geoff

I had a similar reply from Explore...both companies didn't seem too excited about getting our business:(.

Our experience on Solstice last December. Bay of Islands, no excursion booked, waited for a couple of hours to get tender, no estimated time of departure, you just have to wait, lucky we weren't in a hurry. Akaroa, booked ship's excursion, on first tender.

This is the email reply I received from Fuller's:

Thanks for your email

As far as we know at this stage the ship will tender to Waitangi Wharf and free shuttle buses will bring passengers to our departure point at Paihia Wharf

Whilst this is only a 5 minute ride, in our experience, your challenge will be getting onto an early tender. Checkin for our morning cruise is 8:45 am and as the ship generally reserves early tenders for excursions booked by them, you may not make that

You may be best to wait and see what time you actually get off the ship, as if you prebook and do not make it in time, our terms and conditions are such that no refund could be made. We often schedule extra short, cruises that suit the ship's schedules. The shuttles drop you at the front of our building so just pop into our office to check what is available on the day.

Regards and Safe Cruising

Geoff

I had a similar reply from Explore...both companies didn't seem too excited about getting our business:(.

I don't think it has anything to do with not wanting your business it is just a realistic fact that Celebrity will be booking a large amount of the capacity available in the Bay for its own excursions and unfortunately the plebs like you and me just have to take the crumbs that are left. Where excursions are in short supply the cruise lines can charge like wounded bulls and one either has to pay or get gored.