Money conversion

shumdit1

Hi, First time on a South American cruise. It is necessary to get the local currency for each stop?

If the cruise includes stops in Brazil, the only legal tender to make transactions in is the Brazilian real (plural: reais), pronounced "ray-AHL" and "ray-ICE".

The easiest way to get reais is to withdraw them from a secure ATM. There are also "casas do cambio", currency exchange shops in cities like Rio, but not all small beach villages.

Edited by VidaNaPraia

In BsAs either currency is accepted, but you will save a LOT by exchanging Bens for pesos at a blu dolar cambio. Also, some of the shops will offer the same rate if you buy something. Avoid ATM's as they only do it at the "official" rate.

In Chile, pesos are best. Withdraw 200,000- of them from the 1st ATM you come across (US$300- mas o menos) and you're on your way :D

Edited by Merlinite

shumdit1: Which ports are you visiting?

We spent several days in Buenos Aires before boarding our cruise, and found that American dollars were widely accepted; while we did exchange some dollars into Argentinian pesos for small purchases it was interesting how little pesos we needed. Educate yourself about the "Blue" market.

We were in Montevideo twice and found that both American dollars and Argentinian pesos were accepted in some restaurants and shops, in addition to local currency.

At least in Puerto Montt, Chile American dollars were apparently accepted in some tourist shops (I didn't do any shopping but fellow passengers told me), and we were surprised to find that a small empanada stand along Lake Llanquihue accepted American dollars.

It really depends on how long you will be in Argentina. If you will be in several ports or plan to begin/end your cruise in Buenos Aires, it is certainly worth your while to convert dollars to pesos on the Blue Market. Savings can be substantial for major expenses such as hotel stays. Many tourist guides will only take dollars, so be verify in advance.

We do need to know ports.

Some places do require local currency though so even places don't tel the whole story.

I would not use the blue market to convert money in Argentina.

Keith

If you are worries about being arrested, forget that. The blue market trade is pervasive.

If you don't do the blue market, just double the prices for what you will spend.

At a minimum, try to use US dollars in cash for meals and or hotel rooms.

I would not use the blue market to convert money in Argentina.

Keith

We found that even our hotel gave us a better exchange rate than the "official" rate. We handled our currency needs/exchange so differently when in Argentina than any other foreign trip we've done.

If you are worries about being arrested, forget that. The blue market trade is pervasive.

If you don't do the blue market, just double the prices for what you will spend.

Local media report the daily "official" and blue market rates, just to show how pervasive and commonplace the blue market is.

I absolutely agree with you, avoid the blue market only if you like spending a lot more for vacation time in Argentina.

The Official rate yesterday was about 9 pesos per dollar. The unofficial rate is hovering at 14.

http://www.ambito.com/

• 3 weeks later...

We took American cash (bought in Australia) and used that nearly all the time (but we were on an inclusive tour so didn't spend much) We are glad we brought home several hundred dollars because the exchange rate for us is going down fast and we can keep it for some other trip.

We found that in Argentina, people simply quoted the exchange rate without even being asked. Even a coffee shop would greet us with the news that the rate was 14.

Will be in: Valparaiso, Chile (airport and port only), Punta Arenas, Chile;

Ushuaia, Argentina; Falkland Islands (do they take lbs); Buenos Aires, Argentina; Montevideo, Uruguay; Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

Hate to convert to everyone's currency for only being there 1/2 to 1 day.

• 2 weeks later...
Will be in: Valparaiso, Chile (airport and port only), Punta Arenas, Chile;

Ushuaia, Argentina; Falkland Islands (do they take lbs); Buenos Aires, Argentina; Montevideo, Uruguay; Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

Hate to convert to everyone's currency for only being there 1/2 to 1 day.

the US dollar is King and accepted pretty much world wide. for now anyways :mad:

not sure about Brazil...

the US dollar is King and accepted pretty much world wide. for now anyways :mad:

not sure about Brazil...

The dollar is not accepted for transactions in Brazil. (But the exchange rate is very good right now.) You can use a credit card or change cash dollars at a "casa do cambio". Some hotels may do the exchange, acting as a casa do cambio as a courtesy, but usually not at a good rate.

The dollar is not accepted for transactions in Brazil. (But the exchange rate is very good right now.) You can use a credit card or change cash dollars at a "casa do cambio". Some hotels may do the exchange, acting as a casa do cambio as a courtesy, but usually not at a good rate.

My experience is that the dollar is wanted very much in Brazil. I have booked a taxi to my hotel and back to the airport and it has been requested that payment be made in US dollars. The same with a tour that I have booked - US dollars.

I will exchange a little money for incidentals.

My experience is that the dollar is wanted very much in Brazil. I have booked a taxi to my hotel and back to the airport and it has been requested that payment be made in US dollars. The same with a tour that I have booked - US dollars.

I will exchange a little money for incidentals.

If the agency is a Brazilian company/entity, this is technically not legal, as mentioned. Perhaps whomever you are interacting with is using 'jeitinho', not uncommon in Brazil where corruption and lack of respect for the law is rampant, acting under the table.

The real is falling in regards to the dollar, down sharply in recent months, inflation in Brazil is rising, and confidence in the current government is very low, so it may not be surprising that some individuals who deal with foreign tourists perceived to be unaware of the law might take an opportunity to get the more stable currency.

In Argentina they will take USA dollars in many places; Chile will vary and some will only take local currency and Brazil wants local currency.

Keith

These days we're very unaccustomed to carrying large amounts of cash. Always have used ATMs (or travelers checks, back in the day). In Buenos Aires and Valparaiso the hotels have requested USD cash. What do you recommend - large bills (less bulky in the money belt), or small? What have others found most practical? For 5 nights hotel, meals shore excursions, etc. that could be quite a wad of cash to hide!

All very different from our Europe and Asia trips. A new adventure - but that's why we're going! Just want to do the sensible thing - convenient yet safe. Advice is welcome.

Kathy

These days we're very unaccustomed to carrying large amounts of cash. Always have used ATMs (or travelers checks, back in the day). In Buenos Aires and Valparaiso the hotels have requested USD cash. What do you recommend - large bills (less bulky in the money belt), or small? What have others found most practical? For 5 nights hotel, meals shore excursions, etc. that could be quite a wad of cash to hide!

All very different from our Europe and Asia trips. A new adventure - but that's why we're going! Just want to do the sensible thing - convenient yet safe. Advice is welcome.

Kathy

Yes, take large bills. New 100's are best. Pay your hotel bill in pesos not dollars. The hotel will present your bill in pesos converted at the official rate of exchange. Pay in pesos you convert at the Blue rate (see other threads for details). Almost all hotels are required to take payment in pesos. You can save a bundle this way. I usually ask to pay on the first day I am in the hotel to save carrying money around.

Tour guides usually want dollars, so you will probably have pay in USD's.

Take a money belt worn under your clothing. Use your hotel room safe for storing cash and originals of your passport. Welcome to Argentina, where it's always an adventure.

When we checked into our Buenos Aires hotel we were given three options for payment. While we could use the credit card we used go guarantee the reservations we were also quoted a price in Argentinian pesos and then quoted a price if we used American dollars. The best (i.e. cheapest for us) option was to pay in American dollars.

We also had much more American cash (also $100 bills) on our persons than we've ever traveled with before.

When we checked into our Buenos Aires hotel we were given three options for payment. While we could use the credit card we used go guarantee the reservations we were also quoted a price in Argentinian pesos and then quoted a price if we used American dollars. The best (i.e. cheapest for us) option was to pay in American dollars.

We also had much more American cash (also $100 bills) on our persons than we've ever traveled with before.

Where on earth did you stay? Must have been a small hotel or a bed and breakfast. Hotels are required by law to convert payment of the bill to pesos at the official rate. That clearly did not happen in your case or the bill would have been much better in pesos.