Kids eating off your plate?

moesyk4

I don't go out with small children any longer, but was wondering if there are any land based restaurants that allow children to order off the regular (not children's menu) menu at a reduced price.

None that I know of. Order off the regular menu and pay that price....no matter how old you are...

or

order off the child's menu and pay that reduced price.....

or

eat during Early Bird time and all pay the price on that menu

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

So, you believe it is acceptable to order multiple appetizers so you can share with your child who is not paying the cover charge?

Where did I say I ordered extra so we could share with him? We ordered what we wanted and are open to letting them expand their palates.

I suppose you would order your 3 or 6 year old an entire plate of escargot when 1) they had never had it before and 2) you werent sure if they would even try it?

Please.

He asked what the escargot was, and what it tasted like, so I offered him one. He also asked to try one of the cone things; we hadnt planned on sharing it.

Oh wait, I think he also had 1 bite of my fruits de mer because he was curious, and my 3 yo had a taste of soup.

I guess Im "cheating the system" by letting my kids taste (not eat a meal of, TASTE) food that isnt pizza or chicken nuggets. No wonder people hate American kids eating habits!

Maybe I should just order them an entire plate of new to them food, refuse the kids menu, then let the restaurant throw all the stuff they didnt like away?!?

Seriously?

I suppose that if I, say, ordered a fresh squeezed juice, and let him have a sip, I should pay for 2 because he had some of mine?

now, if he'd tasted my escargot or fruits de mer, and decided he wanted to eat that INSTEAD of his pizza, thus making me order him his own plate, I would totally be OK with paying full price for him.

Edited by Starflyr3

I don't go out with small children any longer, but was wondering if there are any land based restaurants that allow children to order off the regular (not children's menu) menu at a reduced price.

Some restaurants will do a half portion, some wont. Olive Garden has been very good about that kind of thing. Obviously, if you order the adult AMOUNT, you should be charged the adult price.

Some places have a "plate sharing" charge so that you cant NOT order your kid food, but its usually only about $2. And I have never been charged it for, say, letting my kids have a bite of steak or shrimp at the hibachi place we normally go to, when they have only ordered fried rice from the kids menu.

Some restaurants will do a half portion, some wont. Olive Garden has been very good about that kind of thing. Obviously, if you order the adult AMOUNT, you should be charged the adult price.

Some places have a "plate sharing" charge so that you cant NOT order your kid food, but its usually only about $2. And I have never been charged it for, say, letting my kids have a bite of steak or shrimp at the hibachi place we normally go to, when they have only ordered fried rice from the kids menu.

I can certainly see a teppanyaki/hibachi land restaurants doing that, because they usually have a lot more than 32 seats, but on the ships with the seating so limited and in high demand, I don't think it should be allowed. Just my opinion. I usually go to the Teppanyaki restaurant a couple times during each cruise and am always amazed how the real little ones enjoy the experience and how much of the food they actually eat and if they don't finish it, dad usually does LOL.

I can certainly see a teppanyaki/hibachi land restaurants doing that, because they usually have a lot more than 32 seats, but on the ships with the seating so limited and in high demand, I don't think it should be allowed. Just my opinion. I usually go to the Teppanyaki restaurant a couple times during each cruise and am always amazed how the real little ones enjoy the experience and how much of the food they actually eat and if they don't finish it, dad usually does LOL.

I would have no issue paying full price for Teppanyaki on the ship for exactly that reason. Even at our normal place, the wait is usually pretty long, unless we go really early, and with the very limited seating onboard, I agree with you.

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, and I understand this new change is just a couple of weeks old so there may not be a clear answer yet, but is it ok for children to eat off their parent's plates at a specialty restaurant? We are planning on getting the UDP (unless they take Cagney's off) and was just going to pay a la carte for our son, and most nights I'm guessing he would've just eaten off the kid's menu.

One restaurant I know he would eat off the regular menu is Teppanyaki...our city's similar restaurant is his absolute favorite place. We had talked it up to him that we could eat there a couple of times when we went and so he is super excited about it, but I just can't stomach the thought of paying $25 for a 5 year old to eat there! Before you say "well, he is eating from the adult's menu", I think it is dumb that they don't offer a restaurant specific kid's menu..at our local hibachi grill they would never offer hamburgers and french fries, they offer an appropriately priced kid sized version of their adult meals.

All that to say, I'd be fine splitting my meal with him and ordering what he wants, but I'd imagine particularly with the UDP and the opportunity to order multiple of appetizers and such (which I was not planning on doing) this could be frowned upon.

Any insight?

If a child order 'kids menu' for free and wanted to try something on the adult's plate, don't think there is a problem.

The limited seating in NCL's Teppanyaki restaurants is an excellent point. It's usually the first specialty restaurant to fill up.

None that I know of. Order off the regular menu and pay that price....no matter how old you are...

or

order off the child's menu and pay that reduced price.....

or

eat during Early Bird time and all pay the price on that menu

Harriet

I have seen quite a few places do child sized portions of the normal menu for reduced price. I know some even actively encourage it.

Can't children order off of regular kids menus in any speciality for free? I agree that a $25 cover charge for a child ( us a gratuity now too) is ridiculous.

Can they still? I thought the cover charge applied to all now?

Plan A. Pay full price for him and You eat the stuff he can't finish along with your meal

Plan B. make your ressie for a day and time that the kids club will take him then go to teppanyaki and either tell him you went or not. What he doesn't know won't hurt him

Plan C. If you don't like plan B then just take him to hibachi on land before or after the cruise and go to teppanyaki on your own and hope that is good enough for him

Plan D. Just pay for him and enjoy you meal...cruise.... Family memory making

Plan E. don't eat at teppanyaki

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Can't children order off of regular kids menus in any speciality for free? I agree that a $25 cover charge for a child ( us a gratuity now too) is ridiculous.
From Cruise Critic dated April 30, 2015:

Pricing for Kids

As of early April, children are being charged a full cover (previously half-price) to dine at any specialty restaurant onboard, if they eat off the regular menu. All specialty restaurants still have a free Kids Menu.

"Kids Menu items were created to better appeal to the palates of cruise guests 12 and under," said Vanessa Picariello, senior director of public relations for Norwegian Cruise Line. Passengers who have prepaid meals in the specialty restaurants will be honored under the previous dining policy.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6333

Edited by NLH Arizona

I have a question. Is there any reason why children couldn't share? So, for example, if you have a 3 and a 6 year old, and you want to expand their palates, order one child's dinner from the children's menu (free), and pay for one specialty dinner, and have both children share both? Doesnt that solve the problem? Of course, it doesnt if you only have one child. ....

Terry

I have a question. Is there any reason why children couldn't share? So, for example, if you have a 3 and a 6 year old, and you want to expand their palates, order one child's dinner from the children's menu (free), and pay for one specialty dinner, and have both children share both? Doesnt that solve the problem? Of course, it doesnt if you only have one child. ....

Terry

Yes, there is. If they are taking a seat, they should pay, regardless of what is ordered. I believe NCL is already doing that now. Edited - I just saw that kids can still eat from the kids' menu for free.

Edited by SissasMomE

Yes, there is. If they are taking a seat, they should pay, regardless of what is ordered. I believe NCL is already doing that now.

No, NCL is now charging a fee for children only if they order from the specialty menu. It is still free if they order from the children's menu.

Terry

Since NCL still offers a free kids menu for those 12 and under at the specialty restaurants, there is no reason why one couldn't have the kids menu and one order off the regular menu at full price, according to NCL's policy.

Right from Cruise Critic: As of early April, children are being charged a full cover (previously half-price) to dine at any specialty restaurant onboard, if they eat off the regular menu. All specialty restaurants still have a free Kids Menu.

So, given that, do you think it would be OK to have one kid order free menu, one kid order specialty menu, and have them share with each other?

Terry

So, given that, do you think it would be OK to have one kid order free menu, one kid order specialty menu, and have them share with each other?

Terry

Are you asking if it's ok to cheat? I wouldn't do it ... but that's me. I'm sure plenty here would.

I guess I don't quite understand how that is cheating. They are paying for one meal, they are only getting one meal. Now, I definitely agree it would be cheating if they paid for one meal, and then ordered two apps, two soups, two desserts etc so each kid got their own. That I definitely see as cheating. But if they paid for one meal, and only ordered a single meal, i.e., one app, one dinner and one dessert, and then the kids shared with each other, I guess I don't see how that is cheating?

terry

I guess I don't quite understand how that is cheating. They are paying for one meal, they are only getting one meal. Now, I definitely agree it would be cheating if they paid for one meal, and then ordered two apps, two soups, two desserts etc so each kid got their own. That I definitely see as cheating. But if they paid for one meal, and only ordered a single meal, i.e., one app, one dinner and one dessert, and then the kids shared with each other, I guess I don't see how that is cheating?

terry

I agree, if you ordered two of everything, then that would be stretching it and if everyone did that, I'd bet NCL might get rid of the children's menu in specialty restaurants. As far as your scenario, I don't think it is cheating, since NCL offers a free children's menu, there is no reason why one child couldn't have that and another having a full priced meal. Them sharing each other's food is immaterial, since they both ordered a meal. Edited by NLH Arizona

terry

Two people eating off of one plate? Like I said, I wouldn't do it. I've never even thought of doing it. I pay for my kids. If they finish it, they finish it. If they don't, they don't. Especially in a venue where you are taking seats away from paying customers. Ordering one to share is ... tacky. Sorry!

I don't eat at specialty places nor have young children, but perhaps they are trying to get these places back to a more adult atmosphere.

Mine have eaten in specialty restaurants on cruise ships since they were 7 - about the same age I started taking them to expensive, upscale restaurants. They know how to behave ... and we pay for their meals. That said, I would LOVE to see at least one dining venue made adults only. Disney does it ...

Edited by SissasMomE