Kids eating off your plate?

moesyk4

So, given that, do you think it would be OK to have one kid order free menu, one kid order specialty menu, and have them share with each other?

Terry

What is it you want to teach your children?

You obey only the rules you like?

Some experts have noted the best teaching is done by example.

I am not one of those experts but it makes sense to me.

If someone thinks it is, that is their opinion and certainly doesn't mean that others have to agree with it or abide by it.

Oh I wholeheartedly agree. Didn't you detect a slight hint of sarcasm?? I understand some folks fall into the judgmental personality type, but what I don't understand is why they are so sure their opinion has more merit than the next persons. I'm sure everyone knows who these people are, because they definitely post enough dribble.

Not the perfect solution, but as suggested by another poster, have one child order the free child's menu and the other one a full priced meal, then split the meal and you will in essence be paying 1/2 price. Not breaking any rules, since each child is ordering their own meal.

works with even number of kids, not odd number. [emoji568]

The price for kids in specialty restaurants is 50% of the adult price. So you'd pay $12.50 for your 5 year old. If he likes the food and the 'show', that doesn't sound like a bad price to me.

I think you missed the whole point of this thread (and many other threads)...NCL no longer discounts children in specialty restaurants, it's full price or kids menu.

Wow. This place...this is surreal.

OP, you sound fine and totally normal. No, I wouldn't want to pay $25 for a small child either; especially not when up until now I know it was half price. Yes, I think giving a bit to a child so they can sample something is very normal and not only would I probably not ever notice, on the odd chance I did notice I would not care or think it was my place to pass judgment on your parenting. Internet sure attracts some....vocal types.

Agree, they should have a specialty menu with child size portions at child pricing; not everyone wants to feed their kids the "junk food" kids menu.

Not sure why NCL felt the need to jack up all the kids specialty pricing instead of simply providing a portion that more met the lower price point and kids smaller appetites. Even Royal Caribbean doesn't charge kids full price for specialty dining.

Another cash grab by NCL. One size doesn't fit all. They had a good gig going getting families into specialty places with half price kids.

Yes, a nice normal rational approach. Always refreshing.

Edited by AngAndBoys

Really?

Yes, NLH Arizona's solution is not equitable to a family of an odd number. Simple math. Try it out. Do it with a pencil to erase mistakes. Offering a "solution" that only works for some, and is more of a workaround / loophole than an actual "solution" is less than optimal.

The most equitable solution would be for NCL to charge a kids price (half) for a specialty meal (kids sized portion) (option A). If the kid can go to town on dinner and orders an adult sized portion, they would pay an adult price. (option B) Alternatively, if the kid is unadventurous or a picky eater, there is the spaghetti/chicken finger/french fry/grilled cheese kids menu at no charge (option C). I think that is probably the most customer friendly solution here.

Yes, NLH Arizona's solution is not equitable to a family of an odd number. Simple math. Try it out. Do it with a pencil to erase mistakes. Offering a "solution" that only works for some, and is more of a workaround / loophole than an actual "solution" is less than optimal.

I would love to take credit of the solution, but actually tel2 came up with it: have a question. Is there any reason why children couldn't share? So, for example, if you have a 3 and a 6 year old, and you want to expand their palates, order one child's dinner from the children's menu (free), and pay for one specialty dinner, and have both children share both? Doesnt that solve the problem? Of course, it doesnt if you only have one child, so you might want to address your comments and concerns to tel2.

Hope you have a wonderful evening.

Edited by NLH Arizona

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, and I understand this new change is just a couple of weeks old so there may not be a clear answer yet, but is it ok for children to eat off their parent's plates at a specialty restaurant? We are planning on getting the UDP (unless they take Cagney's off) and was just going to pay a la carte for our son, and most nights I'm guessing he would've just eaten off the kid's menu.

One restaurant I know he would eat off the regular menu is Teppanyaki...our city's similar restaurant is his absolute favorite place. We had talked it up to him that we could eat there a couple of times when we went and so he is super excited about it, but I just can't stomach the thought of paying $25 for a 5 year old to eat there! Before you say "well, he is eating from the adult's menu", I think it is dumb that they don't offer a restaurant specific kid's menu..at our local hibachi grill they would never offer hamburgers and french fries, they offer an appropriately priced kid sized version of their adult meals.

All that to say, I'd be fine splitting my meal with him and ordering what he wants, but I'd imagine particularly with the UDP and the opportunity to order multiple of appetizers and such (which I was not planning on doing) this could be frowned upon.

Any insight?

I hate to seem judgemental but I think you know what the answer is. Even if it is allowed and I doubt it is, I certainly would not do it. But that is me, you have to decide for yourself what is right and not right.