Kids eating off your plate?

moesyk4

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, and I understand this new change is just a couple of weeks old so there may not be a clear answer yet, but is it ok for children to eat off their parent's plates at a specialty restaurant? We are planning on getting the UDP (unless they take Cagney's off) and was just going to pay a la carte for our son, and most nights I'm guessing he would've just eaten off the kid's menu.

One restaurant I know he would eat off the regular menu is Teppanyaki...our city's similar restaurant is his absolute favorite place. We had talked it up to him that we could eat there a couple of times when we went and so he is super excited about it, but I just can't stomach the thought of paying $25 for a 5 year old to eat there! Before you say "well, he is eating from the adult's menu", I think it is dumb that they don't offer a restaurant specific kid's menu..at our local hibachi grill they would never offer hamburgers and french fries, they offer an appropriately priced kid sized version of their adult meals.

All that to say, I'd be fine splitting my meal with him and ordering what he wants, but I'd imagine particularly with the UDP and the opportunity to order multiple of appetizers and such (which I was not planning on doing) this could be frowned upon.

Any insight?

I don't know if they will allow that but if I was sailing with you and you did that, I'd be kind of ticked off. I'm paying for my child to have the UDP this cruise. Last time we paid for each restaurant for her. There was always something from the real menu she wanted. Just my opinion.

$25 for a kids meal, I would not do. That's ridiculous, I agree there should kids menu prices, exp if they are 10 or under and eat way less.

If I have to pay full price for my kids, I just won't eat in specialty restraunt, or only eat there if my girls want a buffet/ kids camp night.

Edited by ldock

Maybe you could order something from the kids menu for him and still share some of your dinner.

I think this is a good compromise. Order something inexpensive from the kids menu then let him share some off your plate. I can't see anyone policing what people share with their kids !

I think this is a good compromise. Order something inexpensive from the kids menu then let him share some off your plate. I can't see anyone policing what people share with their kids !

But that's the point, there is no kids menu at Teppanyaki. Kids have always received the choice of the usual (and complimentary) kids menu, or a kids portion of the meal at 50%.

Ordering a kids meal when you have no intention of the child eating it is just a waste of food IMHO. Plus the options are burgers, hot dogs, Mac and cheese, grilled cheese sandwiches...not exactly the same quality of meal as Teppanyaki.

Can you tell this change really has my knickers in a knot lol!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

$25 for a kids meal, I would not do. That's ridiculous, I agree there should kids menu prices, exp if they are 10 or under and eat way less.

If I have to pay full price for my kids, I just won't eat in specialty restraunt, or only eat there if my girls want a buffet/ kids camp night.

I don't eat at specialty places nor have young children, but perhaps they are trying to get these places back to a more adult atmosphere.

You can't get much more inexpensive than free. The generic Kids Menus are complimentary, so I would think someone could order off that for their child and then share some bites from your own specialty plate.

But, I don't know how I'd feel about this if I was sitting next to you and I had just paid full cover for my kid so they could enjoy the specialty food.

If they are not going to offer kids pricing off the specialty menu, they should probably make it mandatory that kids be charged. Otherwise you are going to have exactly this situation. Not sure the elimination of kids pricing is a good move on NCL's part. Many may just forget it and take the family to the MDR.

Edited by punkincc

I don't eat at specialty places nor have young children, but perhaps they are trying to get these places back to a more adult atmosphere.

You really do not see a lot of kids in the specialties for the most part and when you do they are generally well behaved. When families are on vacation, they should be able to enjoy a few special dinners together. Seeing a cute kid at the table next to me is certainly not going to effect my meal. I don't recall ever seeing children misbehave or cause a disturbance in a specialty in all my cruises. On the pool deck and elsewhere, yes. Of course, families should be mindful of others and not punish the entire restaurant when Jimmy is having a bad day.

Goodness, I HOPE NOT!

We ate in specialty all but 1 night on our Jewel cruise in March. The kids were ALWAYS with us (3 and 6). We didnt go to Teppanyaki because the only available dinner time was 8:30 (booking early next time!) and that was too late for the kids. However, we will go when we go on the Jade, and I would have no issue paying full for them if we didnt have the UDP. They LOVE hibachi.

Le Bistro? Yeah, kids menu is fine for there -my kids had pizza- and I would be upset if they charged me (if no UDP) for getting my 6 yo to eat 1 escargot and one of the little duck and whatever ice cream cone appetizer things (wow, so not able to think of the name for them).

You really do not see a lot of kids in the specialties for the most part and when you do they are generally well behaved. When families are on vacation, they should be able to enjoy a few special dinners together. Seeing a cute kid at the table next to me is certainly not going to effect my meal. I don't recall ever seeing children misbehave or cause a disturbance in a specialty in all my cruises. On the pool deck and elsewhere, yes. Of course, families should be mindful of others and not punish the entire restaurant when Jimmy is having a bad day.

There was a thread on the RCL board not too long about a family with a couple of kids who really upset Chops one night. Apparently they were noisy and whining and ruined an evening for a number of people. Our kids are older adults now but when they were young we had no issue taking them anywhere. We also had no issue leaving with them either. Sometimes kids have an off night. I have no problems with kids in a fancy restaurant but as a parent you just need to be prepared to get up and leave if things go south. Its not just about you.

I certainly don't know but if you need to ask, you likely know.

Love this response!!!

I concur.

If you let us know when you're going, we'd love to tag along if you'd be willing to split your meal so we don't have to pay the cover charge. We can't stomach paying $25 each either!

Edited by StolidCruiser

I don't think they'll ever try to get Teppanyaki to a more adult atmosphere. It's not fine dining.

However, that venue also has very limited seating. Just for that, it makes sense for everyone to pay for their spot. They provide more food than a lot of adults can eat too.

Letting a kid have a bite or two from someone's plate at Cagney's in addition to their free kids meal isn't a problem.

Goodness, I HOPE NOT!

We ate in specialty all but 1 night on our Jewel cruise in March. The kids were ALWAYS with us (3 and 6). We didnt go to Teppanyaki because the only available dinner time was 8:30 (booking early next time!) and that was too late for the kids. However, we will go when we go on the Jade, and I would have no issue paying full for them if we didnt have the UDP. They LOVE hibachi.

Le Bistro? Yeah, kids menu is fine for there -my kids had pizza- and I would be upset if they charged me (if no UDP) for getting my 6 yo to eat 1 escargot and one of the little duck and whatever ice cream cone appetizer things (wow, so not able to think of the name for them).

So, you believe it is acceptable to order multiple appetizers so you can share with your child who is not paying the cover charge?

however, that venue also has very limited seating. Just for that, it makes sense for everyone to pay for their spot.

so, you believe it is acceptable to order multiple appetizers so you can share with your child who is not paying the cover charge?

these! :d

If your child is eating specialty restaurant food, they pay restaurant prices. Since you can order as much food as you want, the fact that your child is eating off your plate just means you are ordering extra so both you and your child can eat.

If your child is eating specialty restaurant food, they pay restaurant prices. Since you can order as much food as you want, the fact that your child is eating off your plate just means you are ordering extra so both you and your child can eat.
I don't think anyone would have an issue if the child was paying specialty restaurant prices, but I think the poster said the child ate off the kids menu (at no charge) and then ate off their plate.

There was a thread on the RCL board not too long about a family with a couple of kids who really upset Chops one night. Apparently they were noisy and whining and ruined an evening for a number of people. Our kids are older adults now but when they were young we had no issue taking them anywhere. We also had no issue leaving with them either. Sometimes kids have an off night. I have no problems with kids in a fancy restaurant but as a parent you just need to be prepared to get up and leave if things go south. Its not just about you.

I doubt if kids beg to go to specialty restaurants where they should sit quietly when they'd likely be happy with a hamburger and fries elsewhere.

Love this response!!!

As do I. But really, it's 25 bucks to make a very special night for the kid, eating food he loves. Seems to me it would take away from the kid's experience to eat off somebody else's plate, 5 years old or not. And Teppanyaki's a hibachi grill-type place, not a fancy restaurant-type place. Places like that are made for famblees. Is $25 worth of kid happiness really worth quibbling over?

As do I. But really, it's 25 bucks to make a very special night for the kid, eating food he loves. Seems to me it would take away from the kid's experience to eat off somebody else's plate, 5 years old or not. And Teppanyaki's a hibachi grill-type place, not a fancy restaurant-type place. Places like that are made for famblees. Is $25 worth of kid happiness really worth quibbling over?

So, you believe it is acceptable to order multiple appetizers so you can share with your child who is not paying the cover charge?

Since the kid ate just one piece from each fairly large appetizer, I think the parents would have ordered the same number of appetizers even if the child wasn't there. That's not uncommon at all for child-free tables.

I voted against a total free ride for the kid but there are always reasonable areas.

Since the kid ate just one piece from each fairly large appetizer, I think the parents would have ordered the same number of appetizers even if the child wasn't there. That's not uncommon at all for child-free tables.

I voted against a total free ride for the kid but there are always reasonable areas.

That's not what's going on here and it couldn't be clearer what is.

A nibble here or there of someone else's paid meal ("Here Honey, try this... it's delicious!") is one thing. Ordering multiples of a course to "share" with another who hasn't paid is something else entirely.

Anyone who "just can't stomach the thought of paying $25 for a 5 year old to eat there" clearly intends to do the latter and has come here to find out if it would be acceptable. It's not.

Edited by KevInPitt