SPB Tours Credit Card Payment - What currency was charge made?

Dear All,

My question is for anyone who has paid for a tour with SPB using a credit card that was not in Euro or US Dollar. Reading their site for possible tours next year and as my card is with a UK provider usually have any foreign transactions charged in local currency. However, SPB as with many other local operators quote prices in dollars not rouble therefore unclear what currency is used if payment is by credit card. I realise that they do give option to pay by cash but the sums involved would involve carrying large amounts which I would prefer not to do.

Thanks so much.

Since the prices are quoted in US dollars, have your card charged in USD.

If your card supplier charges a foreign currency fee (some don't) that fee won't be any less if charged in roubles but might be more.

And I think I'd prefer the relative stability of sterling/USD exchange rates rather than sterling/rouble exchange rates.

Mebbe you'd get a better deal in roubles, but with USD you know where you stand, and no complications - you're charged what it says on the paperwork, so let SPB do the worrying about the value of the Rouble.

And the pound is currently riding high against the dollar.:)

Because we had cash dollars we used them, so didn't use a card.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

I used Alla Tours for St. Petersburg, but I paid for my tours with a Visa credit card that doesn't charge a foreign currency transaction fee. Although the tour price quoted to us was in US dollars, the charge was made in Russian rubles. That day's bank rate was used for the amount to charge in rubles, but it isn't exact. A few cents change in the currency rate in either direction by the time your credit card company processes the charge could make a difference of plus or minus ~ $10 US.

Hi Yorkshire-Pudding. We used SPB for 3 days of private touring in July this year. We are Australian and our Visa card is billed in AUD. We don't have the option to choose USD or any other currency. SPB charged our card in Roubles which was then converted to AUD on our Visa card statement.

SPB do explain this on their documentation. As you have noted, you can pay the quoted USD price in cash, but like you, we didn't want to carry that much cash. We worked out roughly what the Rouble amount would be and we were pretty close. There are foreign conversion fees charged by Visa/our bank etc but those are not under SPB's control and we are used to them whenever we travel overseas.

By the way - the SPB tour was great. The whole process from initial enquiry to booking to actual touring was excellent.

Hi Yorkshire-Pudding. We used SPB for 3 days of private touring in July this year...QUOTE]

Thanks for your responses.

Hi Bronwyn,

Thanks for the references about SPB. I am looking at their private tour to Moscow for my family from St Petersburg. Glad to hear that charge would be roubles. As a Yorkshire lass, I did not like the idea of a double currency conversion with SPB calculating their own rouble to dollar rate and then my card provider then converting the dollar rate to UK Sterling. Like Australia, fees are charged by most cards. Recently charged an extra 3% fee by Amex for conversion from Yen to Sterling in addition to that day's rate.

As a Yorkshire lass, I did not like the idea of a double currency conversion with SPB calculating their own rouble to dollar rate and then my card provider then converting the dollar rate to UK Sterling. Like Australia, fees are charged by most cards. Recently charged an extra 3% fee by Amex for conversion from Yen to Sterling in addition to that day's rate.

There actually is a double conversion. You are quoted in USD, but they convert that to xxxx roubles themselves, which is the first conversion. As the charge is in RUR, your credit card company then converts it to your GBP currency.

The other thing to note is you would typically need USD cash to pay for tips and lunches there.

There actually is a double conversion. You are quoted in USD, but they convert that to xxxx roubles themselves, which is the first conversion. As the charge is in RUR, your credit card company then converts it to your GBP currency.

The other thing to note is you would typically need USD cash to pay for tips and lunches there.

Yes, life gets complicated with several currencies in one transaction - hence my paying the quoted USD price in USD cash. Though if you need to buy USD to do it, the poorer exchange rate to buy them compared to credit card wholesale exchange rates probably equals that double-jeopardy.

But I'll respectfully disagree on currency for lunches, tips etc.

The euro is at least as well-accepted as the dollar & since the cruise involves euro ports, euros would be easier for the OP.

And tips will be welcome in any currency of your choosing - I had double-checked that.

But although street traders accept various currencies & any souvenir shops on SPB's itinerary also accept plastic, most restaurants don't. No problem for lunch cos that's included in SPB's tour price, but if you want to wash it down with anything stronger than water you'll need roubles - no plastic, no foreign currency.

Before our cruise we bought enough roubles to cover our Alla guide's tip (in the UK we get better value from exchange bureaux than folk in north America), because we feel more comfortable with some local jingle in our pockets. Sure enough, we used some for beers with our lunch and to while away an hour in a bar between day & evening excursions, and we helped out others who had no roubles.

When we tipped the guide at the end we made up the shortfall with euros.

No left-over roubles, and everyone happy. :)

Edited by John Bull

But I'll respectfully disagree on currency for lunches, tips etc.

The euro is at least as well-accepted as the dollar & since the cruise involves euro ports, euros would be easier for the OP.

But although street traders accept various currencies & any souvenir shops on SPB's itinerary also accept plastic, most restaurants don't. No problem for lunch cos that's included in SPB's tour price, but if you want to wash it down with anything stronger than water you'll need roubles - no plastic, no foreign currency.

In a broader Baltic sense I'd agree, and in respect of converting GBP to one other currency, the Euro would make more sense. However, if you have to convert cash, there may not be any extra cost to convert to two currencies.

Just a couple of points to note. 1) lunch isn't included, at least for most tours. In our first lunch, the venue we went to was purely a local Russian place, so only accepted roubles and the guide had to do the ordering. 2) Regarding tips, the USD is the dominant non-local currency there, which is why they use pricing in that form. As with most tour operators they'll take tips in likely any currency you give, and wear the cost of converting, the standard there is USD. I wouldn't say Euro is at least as well accepted, but it is almost as readily accepted.

In a broader Baltic sense I'd agree, and in respect of converting GBP to one other currency, the Euro would make more sense. However, if you have to convert cash, there may not be any extra cost to convert to two currencies.

Just a couple of points to note. 1) lunch isn't included, at least for most tours. In our first lunch, the venue we went to was purely a local Russian place, so only accepted roubles and the guide had to do the ordering. 2) Regarding tips, the USD is the dominant non-local currency there, which is why they use pricing in that form. As with most tour operators they'll take tips in likely any currency you give, and wear the cost of converting, the standard there is USD. I wouldn't say Euro is at least as well accepted, but it is almost as readily accepted.

I suspect that tour operators quote in USD because that's the currency of most cruisers and an internationally known currency for others.

We very definitely found the euro as acceptable (and as unacceptable ;)) as the dollar, but different folk different experiences.

Yes, I see that SPB include lunches on some tours but not on others - even though they're full-day tours.

An optional lunch payable locally in places which only accept roubles seems like a recipe for grief - does the SPB guide get involved with money-changing, or did most folk have roubles? Or did they knock up some filled rolls at the breakfast buffet? :D

slightly tangential topic

on a SPB tour that includes lunch, if the only drink included is water, is it bottled water or tap?

If you were going to get enough rubles for drinks - what would two soft drinks cost? two beers?

Mine was an Alla tour. Bottled water supplied foc in the van, jugged water on the lunch tables. I suspect SPB will be the same but doubtless others can advise.

Can't remember the cost of beers but inexpensive, certainly cheaper than on the ship.

Mine was an Alla tour. Bottled water supplied foc in the van, jugged water on the lunch tables. I suspect SPB will be the same but doubtless others can advise.

Can't remember the cost of beers but inexpensive, certainly cheaper than on the ship.

SPB paid for sodas and other drinks for our lunch at the Russian Pie place.

I got 1500 Russian rubles (cost $47.90) on the ship for our day in Moscow in late June. Lunches were included on our St. Petersburg tour but not on the Moscow one. I didn't know where we would eat in Moscow, but we ended up stopping at a food court that had a Subway and a McDonald's. We spent 440 of our 1500 rubles on the McD's lunch, bought ice cream and bottled water, my daughter bought contact lens solution at a pharmacy at the Moscow train station, and I still had enough rubles left to tip the driver on our St. Petersburg tour the following day and buy 2 bags of Peanut M&M's in the vending machine at the cruise terminal! :D The tips for the guides and the other driver were in US dollars.

I got 1500 Russian rubles (cost $47.90) on the ship for our day in Moscow in late June...

NancyIL,

Would you mind answering a few questions for me.

1. What mode of transport did you use to travel to Moscow by local tour companies. Seems there are two options, plane and train or train both ways?

2. What were your impressions of Moscow? Did you find the trip to Moscow and experience worth the effort?

This is our big family debate considering the 8 hours roundtrip by train, should we or shouldn't we. My son has recently studied the Cold War and just being able to visit Red Square and Kremlin would really bring everything alive. However as the trip also includes my MIL who will be in her mid 80s, need to be sure that it is worth the time.

Thanks

NancyIL,

Would you mind answering a few questions for me.

1. What mode of transport did you use to travel to Moscow by local tour companies. Seems there are two options, plane and train or train both ways?

2. What were your impressions of Moscow? Did you find the trip to Moscow and experience worth the effort?

This is our big family debate considering the 8 hours roundtrip by train, should we or shouldn't we. My son has recently studied the Cold War and just being able to visit Red Square and Kremlin would really bring everything alive. However as the trip also includes my MIL who will be in her mid 80s, need to be sure that it is worth the time.

Thanks

I'd be happy to share my Moscow experience.

1. We took the Sapsan train both ways, and it was very comfortable. We were picked up at the ship at 6 a.m. to go to the train station, and we were scheduled to return to the ship at ~ midnight - so it's a very long day. Those who fly have about the same amount of time to spend in Moscow - due to the time it takes to drive between the cities and airports, and the waiting time before boarding the flights.

2. Our tour began with a city drive, where we made several stops to take photos. Most of our time was spent at Red Square and touring inside the Kremlin (several churches and the armory). At the end of the day, we rode the subway to get to the train station during rush hour - which was truly an "authentic" Russian experience! Several people in my group didn't like that experience, and felt that we should've been picked up by the van and driven to the station. However, our driver dropped us off at Red Square after the orientation drive, and we walked the rest of the day.

Note that the Kremlin is closed on Thursdays. Since that was what I most looked forward to visiting - I wouldn't want to go to Moscow and not be able to visit the Kremlin. It's a long day and an expensive day - more expensive than our 2-day St. Petersburg tour, or even the 3-day tour. However, I'm very glad I spent 1 day in Moscow - rather than tour St. Petersburg all 3 days.

If your mother-in-law isn't up to the long day in Moscow - she might appreciate a day to rest on the ship.

I suspect that tour operators quote in USD because that's the currency of most cruisers and an internationally known currency for others.

No, the USD has always been the default secondary currency for the Soviet states. Go back pre-Euro days and the DM had a little traction, but it was USD then clear sky.

It's not just that, but SPB quote Euro in states where that applies e.g. their tours in Europe. However, in Russia, the USD is dominant and quoted there.

As said though, in Russia the Euro is now well accepted, albeit not as much as USD.

slightly tangential topic

on a SPB tour that includes lunch, if the only drink included is water, is it bottled water or tap?

We were given a bottle of water on the van, although it was just a single one.

Lunch was just whatever you ordered, you were charged for. Drinks weren't expensive.

1. We took the Sapsan train both ways, and it was very comfortable. We were picked up at the ship at 6 a.m. to go to the train station, and we were scheduled to return to the ship at ~ midnight - so it's a very long day. Those who fly have about the same amount of time to spend in Moscow - due to the time it takes to drive between the cities and airports, and the waiting time before boarding the flights.

Agree with the above. Although I didn't do that tour, having been there before, I knew someone on our ship who did and they said they were delayed and got back around 1:30 a.m. (and then had to get up early e.g. 6-7 a.m. for the next day's touring). So it is a quite full on time.

No, the USD has always been the default secondary currency for the Soviet states. Go back pre-Euro days and the DM had a little traction, but it was USD then clear sky.

It's not just that, but SPB quote Euro in states where that applies e.g. their tours in Europe. However, in Russia, the USD is dominant and quoted there.

As said though, in Russia the Euro is now well accepted, albeit not as much as USD.

Yes, I remember the Deutsche Mark ;)

But I don't see where it's relevant, it was one of a stack of European currencies, albeit probably the strongest.

Time has moved on - the DM can hardly be compared to the Euro, the currency of more than a dozen major European countries, including SPB's near-neighbours Finland & Estonia, and by far the most widely acceptable foreign currency of a dozen more.

I can't comment on other parts of Russia, but be in absolutely no doubt that in SPB, the subject of this thread, it is at least as widely accepted as the USD.

If you choose to believe otherwise we'll just have to agree to disagree. ;)

NancyIL,

Thanks for your reflections on your trip to Moscow. Your comments have help to confirm some of my own thinking regarding transport ie that the plane/train combination is no quicker than train/train. You have also confirmed that the Kremlin and Red Square are really destination in their own right and would be the centre piece of the trip. I absolutely hear you on the subway experience and will be clear with tour operator that we want a van transfer back for the Sapsan.

Thanks The_Big_M for feedback regarding duration. We are in St Petersburg for 2 days so the extended nature of trip to Moscow is a large chunk of our time. However, as this will be the last foreign trip for MIL, really want to make an effort for it to be memorable. She is also very keen to do the trip.

Regarding costs, my expectation is that the trip will be expensive. The plan is a customised private tour means that I can ensure MIL needs will be better catered with a slightly slower pace, more breaks, upgrade train class etc. Certainly I would estimate costs of several thousand dollars for all of us and it was this sum in mind which prompted my initial question regarding credit card charges (and the reason for not carrying large amounts of cash).

Regarding currency. We will acquire some rubles as the tour does not include meals. We always have dollars and Euros on hand as my husband travels a lot for work (he just left for Amsterdam this morning).

Thanks.

Agree with the above. Although I didn't do that tour, having been there before, I knew someone on our ship who did and they said they were delayed and got back around 1:30 a.m. (and then had to get up early e.g. 6-7 a.m. for the next day's touring). So it is a quite full on time.

We were also late arriving at the ship because the shuttle buses were not waiting for us at the St. Petersburg train station when we got back. (We had one group of 15 and one group of 10.) Someone in my group phoned Alla, and the vans appeared shortly after that.

NancyIL,

Thanks for your reflections on your trip to Moscow. Your comments have help to confirm some of my own thinking regarding transport ie that the plane/train combination is no quicker than train/train. You have also confirmed that the Kremlin and Red Square are really destination in their own right and would be the centre piece of the trip. I absolutely hear you on the subway experience and will be clear with tour operator that we want a van transfer back for the Sapsan.

Thanks The_Big_M for feedback regarding duration. We are in St Petersburg for 2 days so the extended nature of trip to Moscow is a large chunk of our time. However, as this will be the last foreign trip for MIL, really want to make an effort for it to be memorable. She is also very keen to do the trip.

Regarding costs, my expectation is that the trip will be expensive. The plan is a customised private tour means that I can ensure MIL needs will be better catered with a slightly slower pace, more breaks, upgrade train class etc. Certainly I would estimate costs of several thousand dollars for all of us and it was this sum in mind which prompted my initial question regarding credit card charges (and the reason for not carrying large amounts of cash).

Regarding currency. We will acquire some rubles as the tour does not include meals. We always have dollars and Euros on hand as my husband travels a lot for work (he just left for Amsterdam this morning).

Thanks.

With only 2 days in St. Petersburg and an arrival time in port around 7 a.m.- you may not have a morning train option to Moscow. It takes awhile to disembark and go through Russian Immigration. We had 3 days in St. Petersburg, so we went to Moscow on Day 2.

I didn't mind taking the subway during rush hour. It was an efficient way of viewing the elaborately-decorated stations and getting to the train station. However, it wasn't clear from the tour description just how we would transfer to the train station, and several in my group were unhappy that we weren't picked up and driven there. It sounds like this tour will be for just your family, and you can fine-tune it to have a van transfer to the station and see specific sights. I organized a group of 15 from our ship's roll call, and went with the standard Moscow tour itinerary.

Thank you for the heads up. I have now looked at the train timetable the St Petersburg to Moscow leg cannot be done by train based on the scheduled arrival time of the ship in port and would have to be by plane. The cruise line does offer its own version of the tour but we are all agreed that we don't want to go as part of a large coach tour. From your comments the trip offered by SPB Tours is based on 3 days in St Petersburg and therefore it is possible to go on the earliest train.

Further investigation is needed on my part. Thanks so much for your insights.