Entrees & Desserts in Britannia - QM2, QV, QE

Transatlantic Tom

Out of curiosity, has anyone seen any of the following entrees in the Britannia Restaurants (QM2, QV or QE) recently: Beef Wellington ?? Duck a l'Orange ?? Lobster Thermidor ?? Veal Cordon Bleu ??

Any of these desserts: Baked Alaska ?? Crepes Suzette ?? Grand Marnier Souffle ??

I can't remember seeing any of those entrees on the QM2 menu during any of the 12 voyages in the past six years. But yes, all of the desserts you mentioned have been offered. Considering that those desserts are made for thousands of passengers to consume within a five hour time span, the desserts are tasty - just not to my personal taste.

Edited by Salacia

Any of these desserts: Baked Alaska ?? Crepes Suzette ?? Grand Marnier Souffle ??

I really can't remember the entrees or mains but we did have Crepes Suzette on the last night of our TA in June 14, flambed (sp?) at the tableside for our table of 6 .. yummy and fun.

(it was the Brittania Club restaurant on QM2 - don't know if they do it in the main part of the Brittania)

I really can't remember the entrees or mains but we did have Crepes Suzette on the last night of our TA in June 14, flambed (sp?) at the tableside for our table of 6 .. yummy and fun.

(it was the Brittania Club restaurant on QM2 - don't know if they do it in the main part of the Brittania)

Hi Mariposa. Yes, I agree the crepes in Britannia Club Restaurant are really a treat! Of course, it's not possible to serve the same quality in the MDR because of the larger amount of passengers, but they do try. -S.

Thank you all most sincerely for your replies !

This contradicts - at least in my mind - the idea often suggested here on CC that Cunard's menu is slipping...

These are classic, old-style gourmet dishes, and are still being offered. I admit to a fondness for this type of cuisine.

If anything, it appears that these items may be a little more spaced out on the menu...BUT they are still being offered on a regular basis, and obviously it's a matter of luck and timing as to what menus are prepared for which crossing and cruise.

On our recent WB 15 Dec 2014 QM2 crossing I had - among other dishes - Rack of Spring Lamb, Chateaubriand, Filet Mignon & Lobster, Prime Rib, Filet of Lemon Sole, Escargot, Cherries Jubilee, Chocolate Fondant, and Lemon Souffle...impressive offerings, and all very very well-prepared and delicious !

All of my soups & appetizers were good to excellent.

Also, for the record - our Britannia Restaurant lead & assistant waiters Fausto and Joy were excellent. Absolutely excellent. Fausto's skill at serving the soufflé, squeezing lemon wedges with two spoons, and removing lobster from the shell was as good as I've seen in any Cunard waiter in 34 years of sailing.

Thank you all most sincerely for your replies !

This contradicts - at least in my mind - the idea often suggested here on CC that Cunard's menu is slipping...

These are classic, old-style gourmet dishes, and are still being offered. I admit to a fondness for this type of cuisine.

If anything, it appears that these items may be a little more spaced out on the menu...BUT they are still being offered on a regular basis, and obviously it's a matter of luck and timing as to what menus are prepared for which crossing and cruise.

On our recent WB 15 Dec 2014 QM2 crossing I had - among other dishes - Rack of Spring Lamb, Chateaubriand, Filet Mignon & Lobster, Prime Rib, Filet of Lemon Sole, Escargot, Cherries Jubilee, Chocolate Fondant, and Lemon Souffle...impressive offerings, and all very very well-prepared and delicious !

All of my soups & appetizers were good to excellent.

Also, for the record - our Britannia Restaurant lead & assistant waiters Fausto and Joy were excellent. Absolutely excellent. Fausto's skill at serving the soufflé, squeezing lemon wedges with two spoons, and removing lobster from the shell was as good as I've seen in any Cunard waiter in 34 years of sailing.

Transatlantic Tom, I share your high opinion of Fausto. We first met him seven years ago on QM2 when we was our cabin steward (he was excellent in that job too). I'm happy to see he remains with Cunard. Hopefully his dedication will be reward with future promotions.:)

Regarding the menu, I have noticed that on some cruises where the fares have been very much reduced shortly before sail date, the menu is affected as the more expensive items are infrequently offered - if offered at all. While I can understand why that might be necessary to maintain profit margins, it can be a disappointment to those passengers who paid more. I've met a few passengers who were delighted with the bargain fares they paid, and oddly enough, in the next breath complained about the menu :eek:

Salacia

Edited by Salacia

The food on our December TA was top-notch in Britannia Club, and it included a number of the dishes you list - excellent prime rib, first-rate crepes suzette (and other flambé treats other nights), chateaubriand, and a really exquisite salmon Wellington. There was at least one duck entrée, although not in orange sauce, as well as a good surf and turf (my other half had three rounds, the last two sans beef). I especially liked the venison and every single fish dish I tried.

Like the OP, I really relish the vintage air of Cunard's menus - nothing in foam, nothing that requires freezing in nitrogen, and minimal use of lemongrass and other flavors that, excellent in some contexts, are too often just used for a "stylish" effect.

I was also impressed by the freshness and variety of the potatoes and veg - really excellent.

Like the OP, I really relish the vintage air of Cunard's menus - nothing in foam, nothing that requires freezing in nitrogen, and minimal use of lemongrass and other flavors that, excellent in some contexts, are too often just used for a "stylish" effect.

I love a modern degustation (even with foam) but the food in BC was just what I wanted on the QM2.

I think a lot of folks find the trad. stuff a bit dated. I was looking for trad so all was good.

On our most recent cruises in PG and QG, all of these culinary warhorses were offered. Most were competently prepared and presented. No fireworks, however, in comparison to leading restaurants on terra firma where menus are, most generally, more creative and exciting.

I doubt that the leading restaurants you refer to serve two seatings of 1200 at the budget that the QM2 executive chef is given.

hmmmm

that is a great observation but does anyone know what the budget would be per seated guest for a dinner on Cunard?????

I have never thought of it that way till I read your comment. There must be a line item in the budgets of the line that states what they budget per guest for food at a dinner or over all anyway.

Great food for thought. If I may interject a pun.

hmmmm

that is a great observation but does anyone know what the budget would be per seated guest for a dinner on Cunard?????

I have never thought of it that way till I read your comment. There must be a line item in the budgets of the line that states what they budget per guest for food at a dinner or over all anyway.

Great food for thought. If I may interject a pun.

I once was told by someone in good authority what it is. I could not believe how low it is. When one considers the quantities of food provisions being purchased across the Carnival fleet, it begins to make sense. Still, on such a low per person budget, it's amazing that we aren't eating airline food.

Out of curiosity, has anyone seen any of the following entrees in the Britannia Restaurants (QM2, QV or QE) recently: Beef Wellington ?? Duck a l'Orange ?? Lobster Thermidor ?? Veal Cordon Bleu ??

We were on the QM2 Caribbean Fiesta cruise for the Holidays.

In my humble opinion the food on the QM2 in the Britannia has gone downhill in the past two years. You never go away hungry, but the presentation and selection on most days leaves much to be desired. The lunch menu was poor and we forced ourselves to eat there only one day because we were meeting friends for lunch. The selection was really bad and I ordered a Cesar salad (off the menu).

The breakfasts have been fine.

One evening (we wanted to attend the ball) we chose the Kings Court, and what a disappointment! My husband chose pizza and again, I chose a salad.

Tea time is fantastic!

The food and service in the specialty restaurants in the Kings Court had great choices, was delicious and well presented and it is too bad we have to pay for this quality.

After all this criticism, I must say we love the QM2, we don't sail on her for the food, and have already booked our Caribbean Fiesta for 2015!

Lorraine:)

I once was told by someone in good authority what it is. I could not believe how low it is. When one considers the quantities of food provisions being purchased across the Carnival fleet, it begins to make sense. Still, on such a low per person budget, it's amazing that we aren't eating airline food.

Bobby, since your experience is of the Grills, imagine what it is for 85% of the passengers on board in Britannia Category!:eek: -S.

Edited by Salacia

Bobby, since your experience is of the Grills, imagine what it is for 85% of the passengers on board in Britannia Category!:eek: -S.

Salacia,

You're a New Yorker like me. I know that you know what my frame of reference is when we are talking about restaurants. ;)

I sail to commune with the sea. If I want to commune with fine dining, I have infinite possibilities at hand on land.

It's always a treat, however, when the sailing on the sea and good dining experiences intersect.

Bon Appetit and Bon Voyage.

Salacia,

You're a New Yorker like me. I know that you know what my frame of reference is when we are talking about restaurants. ;)

I sail to commune with the sea. If I want to commune with fine dining, I have infinite possibilities at hand on land.

It's always a treat, however, when the sailing on the sea and good dining experiences intersect.

Bon Appetit and Bon Voyage.

Bobby, I don't think we have any points of disagreement regarding dining on board, although I've yet to experience the Grills. Like you, I don't sail for the food - unless I'm on a fishing boat off the coast of Montauk :D

Best wishes,

Salacia

I like airline food. Granted, I sit at the pointy end so it's actually edible.

Despite some posters and passengers I've met who complain bitterly about the Britannia food, I have thoroughly enjoyed it on my Cunard adventures.

I'm not a massive food snob though. I generally eat humbly (healthily) when at home, so the richer food on board is a treat - and sadly cause for daily gym visits which I don't always do when on cruises :D

In response to the first poster, I had duck a l'orange on QM2 in 2012. It was quite nice. I believe it was a formal night though.

I've never had a bad dessert on a Cunard cruise. I usually start with one a night and by midway I'm seeking to sample two! Not good for the waistline, especially with infrequent gym visits.

The old traditional standbys of the mid century steakhouses are available in the Grills every night - Duck L'orange, chateaubriand, lobster Thermidor, Dover sole, beef Wellington, lots of flaming desserts. Since the golden age of the traditional steakhouse was before my time, I love ordering these dishes. I remember seeing some in the Brittania menu also which I check out every day. They had the duck & the wellington this past time I remember.

When we're in the mood for a foam-y fancy, don't wear anything tight degustation menu we head to Todd English. On our last 12 nighter we did the traditional fare 9 times in our assigned restaurant and TE 3x. It was a perfect balance. I took the stairs a lot.....

It appears that there is a 3 week rotation of the menu in Britannia, which occurs across all 3 ships!

Having been on all 3 queens in the last few months that I had seen the same dishes on all 3 ships, although the interpretation varied as did the quality.

The food standards were not necessarily better on one ship or the other but interestingly in June, are meals on Victoria were not plated and we treated to silver service. I'm not sure if this was because we were allocated the Captains table on the voyage and therefore that is why (Minus the captain or officers)!

I thought meals had been plated on Cunard long before then. I've seen most of the dishes listed above in Britannia this year, although usually on a formal or the penultimate night!

I would say 90% of meals I've eaten, I've found to be of a very good standard, although occasionally I've been unlucky with the odd poor cut of meat but they are only to happy to swap the dish for another so it hasn't been an issue.

I often find the lunchtime menu in Britannia to be more imaginative and varied than the dinner menu but I really can't complain about Britannia.

Having been on QM2 I really missed the amazing dining room. Don't get me wrong service and food is just as good on the Baby Queens and our table on Victoria had a magnificent back drop. The tables at the back of the Britannia on the Baby queens are lovely with their big windows in summer, which is great when it's still light at dinner!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I had beef wellington last week from the menu in Britannia on QM2… I had a double portion *sssshhhh*, don't tell anyone ;) and, it was absolutely sublime. The beef was melt in the mouth… :)

I am not a seafood person, but there were lobster tails on the menu too, much to the delight of the rest of the table, who pretty much all had them.

I have to admit to being rather impressed with the food on my crossing, certainly a heck of a lot better than I was expecting given the constant complaining about the food on here.