Snorkel Equipment

Noreen411

Hi

My husband and I did some snorkeling on our last few trips and enjoyed it.

I am thinking of getting our own snorkel equipment rather than having to rent it. I know they clean it, but I think it would be nice to have our own. And we are driving to the pier for our Anthem cruise which makes packing easy so thought this would be a great time to do this.

We don't need anything super fancy. But we want decent quality.

I was looking on Amazon and they have so many different sets and different brands. I was reading the reviews and most have both good and bad.

I was thinking nice little sets for each of us - fins, goggle, tube, etc (sorry I don't know the official names of the parts), maybe in different colors

I know there isn't a right or wrong answer but are there any brands you recommend or specific sets you recommend?

Thank you

Noreen

visit a dive shop

proper fit is VERY important

they can show you the different styles and price ranges

support your local small business

Hi

My husband and I did some snorkeling on our last few trips and enjoyed it.

I am thinking of getting our own snorkel equipment rather than having to rent it. I know they clean it, but I think it would be nice to have our own. And we are driving to the pier for our Anthem cruise which makes packing easy so thought this would be a great time to do this.

We don't need anything super fancy. But we want decent quality.

I was looking on Amazon and they have so many different sets and different brands. I was reading the reviews and most have both good and bad.

I was thinking nice little sets for each of us - fins, goggle, tube, etc (sorry I don't know the official names of the parts), maybe in different colors

I know there isn't a right or wrong answer but are there any brands you recommend or specific sets you recommend?

Thank you

Noreen

I second the comment about going to a local dive shop. Some will even let you test them in a pool! (Our local one asks for a $50 deposit, then you can try theirs out. The deposit is to prevent them from becoming the location for Internet try-ons. But you can test them out and your deposit goes to your purchase).

Also - for masks and snorkels, a brand called Tusa is excellent. The masks are scuba quality, and the snorkels are the kind that close when the top goes underwater (preventing that mouthful of seawater/choking feeling). Not cheap, but excellent quality. That's what I scuba dive with :)

Any suggestions for a Michigan resident? I'd like to get snorkels and masks for my adult children for Christmas.

I'm not sure you can find them now at this time of year, but the sets sold at Target are fine. I've gotten my last two masks there and they lasted for many snorkel trips. :) (I personally have never had an issue getting a generic mask to fit, and these sets are great for the casual snorkeler.)

Similarly, you could also try something like Dick's Sporting Goods.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/category/index.jsp?categoryId=19572776&sr=1&origkw=snorkel

Or also Amazon. U.S. Diver is a good brand too.

http://smile.amazon.com/U-S-Divers-Cozumel-Seabreeze-Snorkel/dp/B005XYI7FS/ref=sr_1_2?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1446843620&sr=1-2&keywords=snorkel+set

The smaller travel fins are awesome. Still good propulsion, but take up much less space/weight in the suitcase. :)

I'd also recommend a small bottle of PSI500; works great in keeping masks fog-free.

http://smile.amazon.com/Defogger-Carabiner-Great-Scuba-Divers/dp/B003JPJIH4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1446844006&sr=8-4&keywords=psi500

• 2 weeks later...

at one time US Divers was "the" name for dive gear

then they sold out & the dive gear side became AQUALUNG (regulators and BC's)

and the US Divers name disappeared for a time

now they are dime store / WALMART quality snorkeling sets

probably fine for a beginner or very occasional user

I pay more for a decent mask then they charge for mask, fins, snorkel and a carry bag.

Edited by Capt_BJ

• 3 weeks later...
I'm looking into the US Diver's brand, can anyone comment or review?

Both my husband and I have a US Divers set with the mask, snorkel and the shorter travel fins and love them. We have had them for about 4 years now and they have held up pretty good. I'm just now starting to have issues with "my" mask. I accidentally popped the lens out on one of my cruises and after that's it's had some issues leaking. I need to get another mask. I know the poster after you said they went out of business (I wasn't aware of that and still see them online).

I know others say to go to a local dive shop and be fitted properly. I tried that and once I seen the prices, I had to walk back out. It will cost you a lot more and depending on how much you intend to use it, will be up to you the amount of money you are willing to spend. For my US Divers kit I've had for "almost" 5 years now, I found it money well spent. We cruise about 3x a year and I also use them at the pool and beach here during the summer. ;)

Just thought I would also mention that if you buy a scuba quality mask, you can get prescription lenses put in them. They aren't an exact prescription, I think they are in increments of 0.5. You need to buy a mask that has two separate lens for this (some have one large lens, this won't work).

If you are interested in this, go to a local dive shop and they can help you with this. My husband has prescription lens in his mask and enjoys them. I wear contact lenses, so don't have to worry about this. This will definitely be more expensive for the mask and the lenses, but if it means you can see the fishes better, it may be worth it.

Carrie

• 1 month later...

we just bought new mask /snorkel together ,think it is called tribord .check on amazon or ebay . we havent used them but they get excellent reviews .we have had cheap and expensive snorkels and masks ,i have a smaller face and have trouble with leaking or if i put to tight ,it hurts my face. also seem to fool with the snorkel all the time . we will be trying out the new ones in a few weeks . i hope they work well .

we just bought new mask /snorkel together ,think it is called tribord .check on amazon or ebay . we havent used them but they get excellent reviews .we have had cheap and expensive snorkels and masks ,i have a smaller face and have trouble with leaking or if i put to tight ,it hurts my face. also seem to fool with the snorkel all the time . we will be trying out the new ones in a few weeks . i hope they work well .

I would be interested in your review of this product when you return. I have bought a similar product. Especially with any fogging issues, as this is why I have purchased this.