Transportation from MIA to Hampton Inn & Suites Brickell

kelikea

My husband and I will be arriving at MIA around 10:30 pm on April 12. We are staying at the Hampton Inn & Suites Brickell until our cruise on the 14th. What would be the cheapest way to get from the airport to the hotel? If you could walk me through step-by-step on how you would do it, that would be great!

If your hotel doesn't have a shuttle (which I have found most of the downtown hotels are not free) then just take a taxi. Fastest and not that expensive. Most cab rides from MIA to port are flat fee of $ 25-32.

Downtown about the same- $30 including tip.

The cheapest way is to take the metro rail.

This is exactly what we did 2 weeks ago. (and there were many others taking the train with us!) We flew in the day before and stayed at the same hotel. It was slightly less expensive (read: free) for us. Just as we stepped up to by the rail tickets someone handed us day passes for the transit that he was done with. So we got luckey with that one. Just the same, here is what you need to do. (Assuming that you are arriving at a reasonable enough hour that the rail is still rinning.)

1. Colect all your bags (and clear customs if this is your situation)

2. Before exiting the airport, folllow the signs directing you to the Rental Car Centre/Metro Rail. You will walk a long hallway then board a free light rail shuttle over to the rental center and rail station.

3. Purchase your tickets for the train, then enter the platform. Only the Orange line trains run to MIA and it is the northernmost stop which is perfect for you.

4. Get on the train, continure for approx 6 stops. Exit train at Brickell station.

5. Exit the platform and head south to 12th. (the stairs exit around 10th/11th) Take a left on 12th and the hotel is 1/2 a block down on the right side. (no more than 5 min walk from the train station)

6. Check in for the hotel is on the 6th floor. Just walk in the doors, go up the ramp, and take the elevator up.. And if you haven't got one already, get yourself a loyalty card for the hotel chain. You will get a free gift at arrival, and if available, you might land a free upgrade for your room (we did! :D)

7. Most importantly, have a great cruise!!

Wow, thanks so much for the responses! The train sounds promising, but we'll play it by ear a little bit. My husband may just want to take a taxi and be done with it.

But the step by step instructions for using the Metrorail... much appreciated!

I'll add to my statement above. We did that trip because we arrived at 130 in the afternoon... had we been arriving at night, we definitely would have taken a taxi.. Yes it is easier, and probably quicker depending on traffic, but at no time did we feel threatened for our safety. If anything, we felt more scared in the cab going to POM from the hotel.. that driver was a danger to everyone...

• 2 weeks later...

We land in Miami on April 24th at 1:30 pm. Would that be a safe time to take the orange train? How often do they run and how long does it take?

There are four of us so we don't really know if the savings is worth it as we can split the taxi fare.

We land in Miami on April 24th at 1:30 pm. Would that be a safe time to take the orange train? How often do they run and how long does it take?

There are four of us so we don't really know if the savings is worth it as we can split the taxi fare.

Taxi from MIA to downtown Miami hotels should cost about $25 or so plus tip -- split 4 ways that is the way I would go, but it is easy for me to spend your money. ;)

Well then, a taxi it will be. The orange train sounded like fun but also a hassle and after 5 hours of flying we just want to get to our hotel. Thanks for the replies.

Especially after a 5 hour flight - get to the hotel ASAP and start to relax!

Im a big fan of transit. However, some people may not be comfortable on the train after dark and that is totally understandable, particularly from the airport.

Keep in mind after 8:30PM and weekends a train leaves the airport station every 30 mins. A taxi from the airport could easily complete the journey to downtown in that time frame.

On a weekday morning into downtown- the train is a no brainer. This is probably the minority of our cruise ship visitors.

I will be arriving solo this Saturday the 26th in the middle of the afternoon. Meeting my party at the B2 Hotel. Is using the Metro Rail a good option on the weekends to travel from the airport? I would need to walk 4-5 blocks to my hotel if I get off at the Government Center Station. I don't mind walking but have never been to the area. Is it safe? I appreciate any guidance. Thanks!

I will be arriving solo this Saturday the 26th in the middle of the afternoon. Meeting my party at the B2 Hotel. Is using the Metro Rail a good option on the weekends to travel from the airport? I would need to walk 4-5 blocks to my hotel if I get off at the Government Center Station. I don't mind walking but have never been to the area. Is it safe? I appreciate any guidance. Thanks!

During the day you should be okay; after dark I would take a cab.

• 2 weeks later...

We just arrived home from our cruise yesterday and posting our experience with Miami transportation for future readers......

We were booked into the Hampton Brickell and from reading CC messages decided we would take a taxi, but needed a taxi van because we are a family of 5. We were told it would be fairly easy at MIA but perhaps not so easy from hotel to port and to allow extra time due to the van requirement.

After collecting luggage we waited for a family member to make a nature call, and while waiting we were approached by a shuttle driver, said he would take the 5 of us for $60. We refused. As we were heading out of the terminal door towards the taxi area he stopped us again and offered the ride for $45, again we refused.

We were suprised that there were no taxis to be seen, not a car nor a van, and not even a lineup of people waiting, nor an attendant, but there was a taxi stand type thing with a phone so I picked up the phone, but no-one came on the line.

We were approached again by a different shuttle driver offering the ride for $60, then the first driver came back and offered the ride for $35. We took that offer simply because we did not know how to get any kind of taxi.

Later that day we walked out of the hotel and realized just how close the train station was. After our post-cruise excursion we decided to try the train, had no issues, and used it again the next day to go back to MIA.

From hotel to port - we pre-arranged a taxi van with the hotel concierge to take us to port the next day. We checked out 10 minutes before the arranged time and the concierge told us the taxi van had arrived, but it was gone when we went outside - someone else had taken it. We had to phone for another one, there were other people also waiting outside for a taxi van, but they had a larger group and the next van that came refused to take them so we were able to take that one.

I'm not sure why the hotel/taxi company did not use our names for the taxi booking but it was a hassle so be prepared for that.

We also took the free MetroMover to Bayside Marketplace.