Car Rental from FLL port

cruiselovers20

We will be disembarking our upcoming cruise at the FLL port. We need to rent a car. Would like to hear suggestions as to which rental companies are available in the FLL area that can pick us up at the port to pick up the car rental. Any info is much appreciated!

Most of the rental companies have a shuttle from the port to the airport for rental cars . Airport is only 10 minutes from the port. I usually use Budget because of the discounts and points I can collect . I have also used Alamo and Avis as well.

I think that all the rental cars do come out of the airport rental car area and come with many fees and addons stated in many different ways. My daughter lives just 2 miles from FLL and so I have tried just about everything over the past years -- the airport fees are the same all over Broward and Dade counties and they all use the same facilities shared with MIA car rentals so don't get taken for a one way fee FLL to MIA. Ride the shuttle from ship to airport. Go up the stairs (elevator/escalator) to proper level for your agency.

My advice is to take your rental price all the way out. I have used all the majors and each has their own way of doing fees in the quote. You think "wow great deal" and then get additional driver fee etc. Consider AAA or AARP or other memberships to lower your price but again be careful for they subtract with one hand while adding with the other.

For southern Florida you will need the Sunshine Pass transponder since Florida has many tolls and no toll collectors -- just cameras clicking if you don't pay.

Bills for the tolls come in as much as 2 months after the return of car and are charged to the card of record.

• 2 weeks later...
thanks to all for your comments/suggestions.

any suggestions on rental car companies that we should consider outside of the airport?

Most all of the major companies have locations somewhere near the port. On my last cruise out of Port Everglades, we rented from Budget. Picked up at the airport on arrival and dropped off at their office on 17th St. (in the Quay Center, just across the street and slightly west of the north entrance to the port). They have a free shuttle that makes round-trips to the port and there were people walking in that had reservations to pick up cars as well.

Sorry, can't remember the code for that location, but I'm sure someone has it or it can be found through Budget.com

Edited by dreamer976

thanks to all for your comments/suggestions.

any suggestions on rental car companies that we should consider outside of the airport?

We have used Thrifty which is just outside the Port Everglades gate they share the same space with Dollar...They also have a free shuttle..

As far as Budget the location code for their office on 17th Street is F07.