Select Price And Upgrades

pendlerose

Looking at booking Ventura in November Caribbean

Was going to wait and book saver fare but we want 8.30 dinning and it looks like you can't change if you get the wrong one on saver fare. So looking at booking select i know it says you are first in line for upgrades would you get a discount on say a balcony?

its our 25th wedding anniversary so want things perfect but can't quite stretch to a balcony just yet.

Mark

Looking at booking Ventura in November Caribbean

Was going to wait and book saver fare but we want 8.30 dinning and it looks like you can't change if you get the wrong one on saver fare. So looking at booking select i know it says you are first in line for upgrades would you get a discount on say a balcony?

its our 25th wedding anniversary so want things perfect but can't quite stretch to a balcony just yet.

Mark

If you ask P and O for an upgrade you have to pay the price the balcony was when you booked. I tried to upgrade when prices dropped and was quoted the original price. You may get lucky and get a complementary upgrade but these are usually in the same type of cabin I.e. aft or forward to mid position. Good luck.

If, and it is only an if, you got a upgrade it would probably be to a La category but as there are only 4 of them maybe JD down on E or F deck right forward. There are hardly any balconies on Oriana so it is unlikely to be one of those.

It would appear that for Ventura cruises in November, which is what OP is enquiring about, cheapest select balcony for 14 nights from Nov 8th is £2099 pp. On that grade, they are offering free airport parking, transfers and £240 obc plus the other select benefits including choice of dinner sitting. The early saver price is £1899 for at best a similar cabin with no benefits. Outside are £1849 select (£160 OBC) and £1679 for early saver. It is possible that saver fares will be available much nearer the time of departure but this is not guaranteed, nor is the amount of discount the saver fare offers.

I know £4000 is a large amount of money, but to be honest, for a fortnight in a balcony cabin in the Caribbean including flights, with the added benefits both financial and the guarantee of cabin and time of dining it seems to be great value.

Book the highest cabin in your grade and you MAY be lucky to get an upgrade to the lowest of the next grade, or even they may call and still offer an upgrade if you are willing to pay, nothing is certain.

Last year we'd booked a top category inside on Azura - got upgraded about 8 categories to an outside. First time we'd ever had a window cabin or an upgrade - we loved it. Would have booked outside on our forthcoming Britannia cruise, but she doesn't have any and we couldn't afford the fare for an unobstructed balcony (sorry, but if I'm paying for a balcony I want a view and not of a lifeboat or stanchion!). Fingers crossed that you'll be lucky with an upgrade.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. It's me again. Been watching what is happening with the new fare structure and the best way in my opinion is select or saver.

If you do like a certain cabin position on ship, extra obc. Like dining at a certain time then SELECT. is the way to go. But can be double the price of the saver fare. But at least you have got everything you desire will the possibility of a upgrade.

( upgrades do keep happening for select fare passengers who ticked the box) you are happy with the price you have paid because you have got exactly what you wanted.

Next the SAVER fare is your next best bet. I know you have to pay in full and if you cancel you lose the lot ( but booking within the last few weeks you would have had to pay all anyway,) you choose and pay for the cabin style . And it's allocated about 2 weeks before. So if you book a balcony it could be the normal balcony cabin straight up to the superior deluxe ( which most savers seam to be getting) dining allocated onboard ( reading through a few post on facebook they have been able to change sittings) even if you don't like the sitting you have been allocated the money saved can be used in the speciality resteraunt s ( some of the speciality resteraunt s are offering free wine on early sittings) so you have paid half price for your cruise got a deluxe cabin and eating in speciality resteraunt s.

The EARLY SAVER doesn't work out as good as the other two. You pay a deposited but usually your in the time when it needs to be payed in full , you get a few benefits. Like being asked what dining you would prefere but not guaranteed. When you book you choose the cabin style and grade then your allocated a cabin . And that's what you get. ( 2cd priority upgrades don't seam to have happened ) your going to be paying more than SAVER fare .

All in all you pay your money because you were happy paying the money or you wouldn't have booked it in the first place.

Next time I book I think I might try the saver fare if not a select fare.

Have to agree about early savers Asda. We booked early saver 5 months ago and got exactly what we had booked. So no upgrade for us.

Hi. Yes same here. If we had waited until the week after to book it would have been a saver fare. Saved £100 And our cabin would have gone up a couple of grades.

So best fares to book are select or saver.

We booked early saver a couple of months ago and were allocated cabin 733 riveria deck.

Last week we were upgraded to 332 a deck which is mid not aft.

So yes we got an upgrade.

The price we paid was £100 more than saver fare but we got a 5% discount off our travel agent so went down to £50 more.

I am happy with this. We go on Monday whoop whoop

Friends who booked Select were given a nice upgrade 6 weeks before their cruise as did someone else I know. I am glad that P&O now seem to be doing the right thing by allocating upgrades to Select booking first.

We booked early saver a couple of months ago and were allocated cabin 733 riveria deck.

Last week we were upgraded to 332 a deck which is mid not aft.

So yes we got an upgrade.

The price we paid was £100 more than saver fare but we got a 5% discount off our travel agent so went down to £50 more.

I am happy with this. We go on Monday whoop whoop

Well done groovy gran. Have a lovely cruise.:cool:

Groovy Gran, We loved the position of your Riviera deck cabin as there is a door that takes you out on to the aft pool and buffet area. We were booked here but were given an upgrade to A deck mid too but wish we had stayed where we were. Most people prefer mid but I like aft. I would like to be anywhere just to be on board:cool: