Snorkeling?

Lee2385

I've been to Roatan and did the beach at the port with the chair lifts. This time I'd like something different and heard snorkeling at west bay was fabulous!?! Has anyone done this and have a vendor they would recommend? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yes, West Bay Beach and West End Village (Half Moon) is pretty amazing for snorkeling. You can snorkel from the beach or hire someone there to take you out (wheel and deal a price). We always snorkel from the beach in front of Infinity Bay Resort. Bananarama has packages where they pick you up at port and take you there... very cheap. Included a chair, drink, and facilities. Another route is to hire a private driver for the day - Rony or Victor Bodden Tours are the best. $80-$90 for the day for 4 people.

I've been to Roatan and did the beach at the port with the chair lifts. This time I'd like something different and heard snorkeling at west bay was fabulous!?! Has anyone done this and have a vendor they would recommend? Thanks

Hands down I prefer Roatan Ocean Adventures! They are the reason we are revisiting this port!

Snorkeling in Roatan waters is great./......

but

1. get away from beach areas: splashing scares away the fish, kids running through the water scares away the fish

2. reefs in Roatan are very close to shore, but as I said, get away from people and get to rocky areas and reef areas

3. shore snorkeling is okay, boat snorkeling or getting in the water from a pier are best.

We went dnorkeling at the drop off & lobster city. Also went to the iguana park and Daniel Johnsons monkeys & sloth hangout.

"The drop off? and Lobster City?"

Do you remember where these places were?

"The drop off? and Lobster City?"

Do you remember where these places were?

Honestly, I dont. The owner, Herbert, picked us up at the port and drove us to his family's dock. He has a webpage and lots of reviews on trip advisor that might help. Even took pictures of us snorkeling and sent them to us (no extra charge like other places).

As much as I am not a big fan of ship's excursions, if you just want the beach and snorkeling book the Tabayana Beach Break. It will include transportation, and lunch, plus loungers plus a guard to watch your stuff while you are in the water.

Thank you all so much!!!! Has anyone done Jolly Roger Catamaran and snorkel?

I have not but I did go out with Free Radical and highly recommend them. The staff is spot on, the food is amazing and the snorkeling wonderful.

http://www.svfreeradical.com/

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g292019-d1951309-Reviews-Radical_Catamaran_Adventures-Roatan_Bay_Islands.html

This is only our 2nd cruise and first time in Roatan. We are a senior Mom and Dad along with our grown son and his girlfriend. We all like the beach and will bring our own snorkelling gear and are looking for an economical day. All of the excursions on the Western Caribbean cruise we are taking in December on Splendor seem really expensive and times four makes many not doable. We are not into ziplining or extreme sports but would enjoy Mayan ruins tour or the beach. Anyone have any suggestions for us?

This is only our 2nd cruise and first time in Roatan. We are a senior Mom and Dad along with our grown son and his girlfriend. We all like the beach and will bring our own snorkelling gear and are looking for an economical day. All of the excursions on the Western Caribbean cruise we are taking in December on Splendor seem really expensive and times four makes many not doable. We are not into ziplining or extreme sports but would enjoy Mayan ruins tour or the beach. Anyone have any suggestions for us?

You could try Maya Key:

"11.5 acre private island conveniently located just three minutes across the bay from the Roatan cruise pier and 15 minutes away from Mahogany Bay Cruise Pier. This pristine island features two secluded beaches, excellent snorkeling from a scenic pier, a 70,000 gallon swimming pool, 5,000 square foot lounge deck, lush garden paths bursting with indigenous flora and most recently an animal rescue center, artisan plaza and Roatan's finest cultural attraction, The Bay Island's Interpretation Center and Ethnic Honduran Art Exhibit Center."

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g292019-d1441401-Reviews-Maya_Key-Roatan_Bay_Islands.html

Otherwise, a trip to West Bay beach will not leave you unsatisfied.