Late dining

Loujul

On our recent reservation on the Infinity for Sept 2017, we were assigned late dining at 8:30 p.m. Our preference would be Celebrity Select and we've been wait listed for anytime dining. What are the chances that we will get our request. I know my DH will not hold out until 8:30 for dinner every night.

On our recent reservation on the Infinity for Sept 2017, we were assigned late dining at 8:30 p.m. Our preference would be Celebrity Select and we've been wait listed for anytime dining. What are the chances that we will get our request. I know my DH will not hold out until 8:30 for dinner every night.

That's quite a way off for select to be wait listed despite its popularity. It's very likely there will be cancellations between now and then to allow you to be allocated Select. However, we wouldn't book a cruise personally where Select was available at the time of booking as set time dining really would not suit us.

We have friends on the Eclipse now and all of the MDR on deck 4 and half of the MDR has been allocated to Select. They are trad diners and are not best pleased that so much of the space is Select. I can see at some point in the future, all MDR will be Select. I know this will be controversial as there are still many people who prefer Trad Dining but they seem to be outnumbered by Select.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We have friends on the Eclipse now and all of the MDR on deck 4 and half of the MDR has been allocated to Select. They are trad diners and are not best pleased that so much of the space is Select. I can see at some point in the future, all MDR will be Select. I know this will be controversial as there are still many people who prefer Trad Dining but they seem to be outnumbered by Select.

I am one of those that prefer traditional dining but I'm not opposed to Select, I just hate waiting for a table. If the ship changes to only Select, I think there would be alot of people waiting at the popular dining times just like a restaurant which is what I try to avoid.

I like the sound of that. We always choose Select and can look down on the lower floor where 30-50% of the seats are unoccupied. If they want to fill the speciality restaurants then then can expect empty seats in the MDR. By making more of the overall MDR Select then that increases choice and availability for all.

First, the British solved this problem 170 years ago:

Afternoon tea was introduced in England by Anna, the seventh Duchess of Bedford, in the year 1840. The Duchess would become hungry around four o'clock in the afternoon. The evening meal in her household was served fashionably late at eight o'clock, thus leaving a long period of time between lunch and dinner. The Duchess asked that a tray of tea, bread and butter (some time earlier, the Earl of Sandwich had had the idea of putting a filling between two slices of bread) and cake be brought to her room during the late afternoon. This became a habit of hers and she began inviting friends to join her.

Now for the record, this is probably incorrect. There's a lot of evidence that afternoon tea as a meal went back as far as the 17th century, but the point remains valid. Try the afternoon tea in the Oceanview or the Aqua Spa Cafe. It'll get you through to dinner.

If select dining is becoming so popular I don't understand why Celebrity would not be allocating more space to select and less to traditional.

Second, they are doing exactly that. Reports from the Summit, post-refurbishment, are that the larger lower level is now used for select and the smaller upper level for traditional.

Edited by Cruise_Dancer