Bargaining in the Caribbean?

beshears

I love to bargain, and have got some nice items down through the years.

We are going to St. Thomas, San Juan, and Grand Turk.

If you have been to any of the above stops that I mentioned, is there any bargaining going on in those areas? If so, how do I find them?

If you have been to any of the above stops that I mentioned, is there any bargaining going on in those areas? If so, how do I find them?

You can bargain at just about every place... Not sure about carnival owned place at grand turk, but just about every store and shop you can bargain at.

Best way to find out if you can bargain is to walk out of the store after you heard the absolute final price. If you get called back, then there's room to negotiate. This may happen more in St Thomas than San Juan.

If you find an item, jewelry, or electronics, that you like, check on the internet for a price and show it to the sales person if it's to your advantage.

It isn't like it was 20 years ago, when every price listed was a starting point. And if bargaining with locals outside of stores, remember they need a fair selling price to survive. "Almost free" is a slogan, not a reality.

Thank you all for your responses. I do like that say, "if it is air conditioned, than more than likely, they won't bargain", and that is fine. Yes, I have been places where they have chased me down the street, just to get my business. I have bought jewelry in St. Thomas before, but most of their places are in buildings to purchase their items/jewelry.