How can I manage multiple food allergies and celiac in young kids on the ship?

jillyoung256

Hi! I am sailing on the NCL Jade the week after Thanksgiving. My 4 year old and I both have celiac disease, so we need a GF diet. She and her 1 year old sister also have a soy and milk allergy. I have already been in touch with the access desk and they have given my the names of foods on the ship (it's very hard to find gluten/soy free food for them) so I can check ingredients. I know to meet with the chefs at embarkation. What other advice can you share about how to manage this aboard? I am particularly worried about

1) Excursions - did you just pack lunches? How did it stay cool and fresh?

2) Cross contamination with gluten - how did you manage it?

3) What foods would you bring with you on the ship?

Thanks!! :)

For excursions, it would be best for you to bring pre-packaged food from home to take with you (bars, etc) as food from the ship cannot be taken ashore. With regards to cross contamination, its just something you need to watch for. I believe that if you point out your restrictions, that the waiter will get you something fresh from the back so you don't need to worry about it.

Hi! I am sailing on the NCL Jade the week after Thanksgiving. My 4 year old and I both have celiac disease, so we need a GF diet. She and her 1 year old sister also have a soy and milk allergy. I have already been in touch with the access desk and they have given my the names of foods on the ship (it's very hard to find gluten/soy free food for them) so I can check ingredients. I know to meet with the chefs at embarkation. What other advice can you share about how to manage this aboard? I am particularly worried about

1) Excursions - did you just pack lunches? How did it stay cool and fresh? not allowed to do this at all. only factory sealed items may be brought off the ship in any port

2) Cross contamination with gluten - how did you manage it? eat in the MDR for as many meals as possible.

3) What foods would you bring with you on the ship? you can really only bring factory sealed items that need no refridgeration. there is nowhere to store perishables

Thanks!! :)

be prepared to have to pre order everything and to not have a whole lotta variety. you will need to speak to a chef at the Buffet at every meal you go there as well.

I do know that on Celebrity and Royal they have been very careful for me. When you let them know ahead of time, they let you know if there is any chance of cross contamination. As for bringing food items on board, I had a refrigerator to keep things cold. You might need to request it. For excursions, some ports are better than others. Where are you going?

We are going to Honduras, Belize and Cozumel. I have already had a very positive experience with the Access Desk and they have cleared several prepackaged snacks as well as a particular milk that we need to bring on board for the baby. I can plan to bring these on shore with us, but I guess I am hoping to figure out something for lunches so we're able to do excursions lasting more than a few hours. I can't really expect my 4 year old to last on granola bars and fruit snacks over lunch time. Suggestions?

We are going to Honduras, Belize and Cozumel. I have already had a very positive experience with the Access Desk and they have cleared several prepackaged snacks as well as a particular milk that we need to bring on board for the baby. I can plan to bring these on shore with us, but I guess I am hoping to figure out something for lunches so we're able to do excursions lasting more than a few hours. I can't really expect my 4 year old to last on granola bars and fruit snacks over lunch time. Suggestions?

Have you considered purchasing pre-packaged gluten free ready to eat meals ? There are several companies that sell such meals on line as well as items that can be purchased at specialty health food stores. For example http://www.gopicnic.com/Gluten-Free-Diet#.VjDGeZWFM5s

BTW - you do not need special permission to bring any manufacturer pre-packed food items on board the ship.

Disclaimer- I do not have Celiac nor have a gluten intolerance therefore cannot comment on taste or quality of such read to eat meals.

Those three countries are VERY strict on bringing food items off the ship. If your child can't get along on the pre-packaged snacks that are allowed, you may have no choice but doing shorter excursions.

Don't know what you mean by fruit snacks, but fresh fruit is a BIG no-no in foreign countries. No sandwiches, fresh veggies and fruits, baked items. Can you find gluten free cereals in small boxes? You can bring those off the ship, but you can't just take GF cereal in a baggie---it must be packaged.

Just a piece of advice-----if you plan on having your child in the kid's club, make sure you go to the club on the first day and talk to the staff about your child's eating issues. They do give kids snacks in the club from time to time, so they need to be made aware of any issues.

The reasoning behind no fresh fruit/fresh vegetables/meat/milk/cheese is the threat of bringing pests or diseases into the area.

Example-- in the 1980's and 1990's Southern California was invaded by the Mediterranean Fruit Fly. Vector Control wasn't able to control them thru conventional means. Whole swaths of SoCal were aerial sprayed with Malathion many times due to the fly's lifecycle. All outdoor animals needed to be brought inside. Outside furniture needed to be covered. I got real good at wrapping the swing set. All windows were shut, no air conditioning could be used during spraying for the 8 hours when spraying would occur. This happened during the summer.

We travel with allergies. We make business size allergy cards. You can buy allergy cards from selectwisely.com.

Edited by SadieN

• 2 weeks later...

I have only cruised on Royal and Celebrity with my son who is now five. He has been on four cruises and it is the easiest way for us to travel. We do not have a gluten allergy but he is allergic to milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts and shellfish.

We always bring a lunch for embarkation day. The only places to eat are buffets and they are too hectic to ensure a safe meal ( not sure if Norwegian is the same).

Be prepared to have the first dinner be a little hectic/stressful. Once you are settled in after the first day, it will be easier.

The egg/milk allergy makes dessert difficult. I usually being special desserts since jello gets old after a while. I will make a batch of chocolate chip cookies to bring on to the ship(we don't bring them into ports) and their favorite candy.

As you mentioned, we don't get food in ports. We but as many prepackaged treats as possible (chips, pretzels, pop tarts, juice boxes, boxes of rice milk, etc)). Mini boxes of cereal are great. It isn't the most nutritious lunch, but it works just fine keeping the cranky hunger moods away.

You might want to consider buying a FRIO to keep Epipens at the proper temperature in warm climates.