Favorite souvenir? Freedom to Coz, CG, and Mo Bay

mumtopugs

Hello!

Heading out on the Freedom soon to Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Montego Bay. What are your favorite souvenirs you've gotten on the ship or in these ports?

Ashley

Edited by mumtopugs

My son would tell you it's Jamaica, the stuffed turtle we bought in...Mo' Bay. I don't think we bought any souveneirs in Grand Cayman (well..unless you count the pictures we bought of us holding baby turtles). We always go to Passion Island when we're in Coz, so no souveneirs there either other than the pictures I take.

When I was in Jamaica, I did buy a gray/orange/white baseball cap that says "One Love JA" that I think was crappily embroidered but that's OK because I kinda like the destroyed look because it's so "in" right now. :D

MoBay - Jamaica Blue Mountain Coffee beans, always got best quality at the port shop. I got 5 lbs in town once and they were all bad due to improper storage.

Cozumel - Vanilla Beans to put in vodka bottles

GC - Any receipt to show how expensive it is.

Ditto on the rumcake from Grand Cayman. It's the best. I would get the 6 pack variety pack. When you get off the ship see if you can find an island guide or coupon book. There's usually a Tortuga coupon for a few dollars off rum cakes in them.

If you cook, you might want to get some vanilla in Cozumel.

Coffee in Jamaica is good (I'm not a coffee drinker, but that's what I hear).

Personally, I like to get Christmas ornaments from every port. I used to collect magnets, then pens, but now its ornaments. (Not sure if that would fit in your case, but just a suggestion).

I got some vanilla rum and banana rum in Grand Cayman. I believe the Tortuga brand...Very yummy!

Cozumel: I purchased a beautiful silver and fire opal bracelet that I wear often. I also got a small (9") clay sculpture of the Goddess IxChel. She is a Mayan Goddess and Cozumel was the place of pilgrimage for her followers. She presides over my living room now. :)

I get a "Beach in a bottle" from each place I go to. Seashells & sand in a little glass bottles w/the name of the place on the outside. You can even just get obe with just shells in it and then take it to your favorite beach, take the cork off and fill it with sand from that beach. That makes them even more special!

• 2 months later...

We collect Christmas ornaments wherever we travel. We got a Christmas ornament that was hand-painted in Cozumel. The ornament itself was probably made in China, but the hand-painting was being done by the gentleman at his stand. We also got a piece of "yard-art" that was done from discarded metal. I second the rum cakes (the coconut flavor is our favorite). Samples are available for you to try which makes it easier to get your favorite flavor.

We do the Christmas Ornament thing too. Try and get one at each stop, from every trip and then when we hang our ornaments each Dec., it's fun to look back.

I also have a black leather/silver bracelet with a large raw fire opal that I absolutely love. Got that in Riv Maya, but I've seen similar in Coz.

Grand Cayman we always buy Big Black Dick rum because it's a great conversation piece at parties.

I used to buy a lot of souvenirs, but now we just pick up a few little things that really strike our fancy. I usually purchase some sort of cheap necklace (shell/rope) that I wear until it breaks. Then it's time for another cruise!!