Skagway in september

chocochoux

Hi all! Excited for our first Alaskan cruise, especially after all of the research I've done, but I'm torn over shore excursions in Skagway. We're going to be in port from 7 am to 8:30 pm on Sep 22, so I know we'll have lots of time to wander around town, but my parents (early 60's) and sister (late 20's) aren't really interested in sitting down for hours on the White Pass Railway. If possible I'd like if we could do something adventurous and outdoorsy that's also unique to Skagway/Alaska. These are the options I'm considering and my reservations with each:

Glacier dogsledding with TEMSCO - obviously the most expensive, maybe a little contrived? and I'm really only interested in the dogsledding (on ice) rather than the included helicopter ride. As such, is it worth the money for a 20-25 minute ride? Also, is it generally even available so late in the season?

Glacier Point Wilderness Safari - I really like the idea of seeing native wildlife (esp bears, seals and whales!) as well as getting a close up look at a glacier, but from what I've heard, it's mostly a sightseeing tour and not quite as active as the description makes it out to be. I think I'd like it more if there was more hiking on the glacier.

Short Glacier Trek by Helicopter - Focusing on experiencing the glacier itself and getting some exercise sounds awesome, but again a helicopter ride, and only a 40 minute walking tour on a glacier. I've heard out of Juneau there is a glacier trek with 2 hours out on the ice, which would be ideal, but we already have group plans for the whole time we are in port there. Is it worth it for 40 minutes to explore?

Green Jeep rental up to Emerald Lake - the most economical, but also potentially the most hassle. Potential for seeing lots of wildlife and stop for hikes is a big plus. Also, apparently there's a summer dogsledding camp on the way, so puppies! However, I've heard it rains a lot in September and we'd prefer not to drive/hike in a downpour on an unknown road. Would you recommend booking the car before we get into port or could we just walk over depending on the weather?

I'd appreciate any recommendations or advice - thanks!

From what I have read here - the glacier dogsledding is likely to get cancelled that late in the season.

I have done Chilkoot Charter's rail/bus trip to the Yukon twice, and enjoyed it a lot. I'll be on b2b Alaska cruises next May, and plan to do the Glacier Point Wilderness Safari on one of my days in Skagway.

Sorry, Glacier dog Sledding is long shut down when you are there. FIRST- I suggest you need to verify what is still running for your late date. THEN select. You may run into something else not available. Contact vendors direct for their operation dates. NOT through cruise line bookings.