Ladies... Do you wear heels to the MDR

I usually wear wedge heals on smart casual night and 3 inch heals on formal night and I'm in my 60's.

Mary Lou

Oh yea!...someone else like me!

I too am in my 60s. As I mentioned in a post earlier on this thread...I was taking a pair of heels for my upcoming 3-dayer to Mexico (we leave this coming Fri...yea!), now I'm taking 2 pair! I also have a pair of wedge sneakers that are really comfortable that I'll wear on and off the ship.:D

Never! Since I broke my foot and damaged ligaments in my ankle years ago, I cannot wear anything but flats or 1/2 inch heels (kitten heels). It's not hard to find dressy flats. Granted, they don't look as nice as high heels, but they are safer and more comfy for me.

Same here. I've also seen too many people slip and fall on the tile floors. I don't want to spend part of my cruise in a cast, or with an ankle wrap...or worse, have to leave the cruise because of the injury. I wear a cute pair of patent flats. They can be worn on casual nights with a sundress or slacks or capris at dinner, which cuts down shoes for dinner to ONE PAIR (since I also coordinate colors to cut down on luggage). I'm also comfy for the entire night.

I hope this won't be a double post; my first attempt disappeared before I was done writing.

Bring your heels if you wish, but be very aware of the sea conditions and ship's motion when dressing for dinner.

Over the last 40 years of cruising, there have been formal nights and semi formal nights (yes, there used to be semi-formal night where the short cocktail dresses were the requirement instead of the long formal gowns; another nicety that has disappeared from cruising), where I have had on a formal or cocktail dress and a very sensible pair of walking sandals instead of my dressy heels due to the ship's motion.

I opt for the lack of a broken bone or sprain over fashion every time.

More then one maitre d' has looked at my feet, smiled and stated they wished more women showed such common sense.

I hope this won't be a double post; my first attempt disappeared before I was done writing.

Bring your heels if you wish, but be very aware of the sea conditions and ship's motion when dressing for dinner.

Over the last 40 years of cruising, there have been formal nights and semi formal nights (yes, there used to be semi-formal night where the short cocktail dresses were the requirement instead of the long formal gowns; another nicety that has disappeared from cruising), where I have had on a formal or cocktail dress and a very sensible pair of walking sandals instead of my dressy heels due to the ship's motion.

I opt for the lack of a broken bone or sprain over fashion every time.

More then one maitre d' has looked at my feet, smiled and stated they wished more women showed such common sense.

You all ways look wonderful in your fashion choices that you wore. That was a great cruise. I hope that all is well with you.

Thank you, Maria. That happened to be a very calm cruise sea-wise. I never needed my very sensible walking sandals during the dinner and evening hours.

And, of course, shoes didn't matter during Trivia. :D

I all ways wear flats. My feet will not let me wear anything else. Trivia, loved it!

I love wearing stiletto heels to dinner but my feet tend to swell by the middle of the cruise, so I opt for the wedge heels or slip-on wedges at that point. I can't even imagine not wearing anything with height to dinner because I'm a pear shape and I need heels to balance out the hips. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think some common sense just comes into play here . If your feet and your legs are not used to walking in high heels 50- 80% of the time, you're not going to be able to control them on a choppy sea very well. Period. Even someone that loves her heels and wears them on a regular basis is going to have a difficult time in some rough seas, but probably more success.

Rule of thumb- Just be practical, don't be stubborn!!

[emoji108]

Laughing at the poster that said they saw women wearing ridiculous heels on ships... yep.. I guess that was me :D

Perhaps it is upbringing, as when and where I grew up we wore heels everywhere. Even going downtown on a double decker bus (now that is rocking ) and coming home carrying bags. It just was what everyone did back then.

I often say that I was born wearing heels.

In fact, I am more likely to get a backache when wearing flats.

Yep.. some of the shoes I wear are 4 inch heels..on a ship and everywhere in my life. But..I do not wear them to stroll around a deck. Although after over 50 years of wearing heels.. I am perfectly able to do so. :D

We all wear (or should wear ) what is most comfortable for us. I have seen ladies in flat shoes that are too tight, and I feel so sorry for them, as flat or stacked.. if the shoes are tight, that is a nightmare.

Wore these the other night .

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Forums mobile app

1405868469726.jpg.adc4bed1ea5dd4dcde03de0dd1f6c961.jpg

Edited by bowsprit

I've just ordered these 3 pairs of shoes and I'm undecided which one's to take with me on my Freedom b2b in September!

Freedom b2b Sept 2014

Splendor Jan 2014

Breeze Sept 2013

Imagination Sept 2013

Triumph Sept 2008

Pride Sept 2007

Miracle Sept 2006

1405872360007.jpg.2ae9cc2898aabf14fbb42d415cf690bc.jpg

1405872371681.jpg.50587f0e2067032ef47cae15313a94f2.jpg

1405872382737.jpg.5cc91e05e387f059a96d9276fb303b09.jpg

I've just ordered these 3 pairs of shoes and I'm undecided which one's to take with me on my Freedom b2b in September!

Freedom b2b Sept 2014

Splendor Jan 2014

Breeze Sept 2013

Imagination Sept 2013

Triumph Sept 2008

Pride Sept 2007

Miracle Sept 2006

Oh WOW!

Take them all. And, would you mind telling where you ordered them from? I love them.

I went through a stage where because of the flying bagage restrictions, I tried making two pair go with everything. But I hated to leave my shoes at home.

Thanks to Southwest.. and having a Delta card.. I am back to my old ways:D

For cruises I usually wear a high wedge for flying. I am vertically challenged, and so sitting on a plane with your feet not square on the floor is painful.

I have two very plain sandles made from recycled tires that you can pick up in Florida for around $10. Wet, dry, nothing bothers them I wear them off the ship and around the ship during the day.

Then I make up a sheet with all the cruise days on it and marking down formal nights and any special nights.

I first lay out my formals, then my evening wear for the rest of the cruise.

Then the beast comes out!!! I start matching shoes to outfits :what:

I really do try to make a pair of shoes match up with more than one outfit, but am not always sucessful. It just is such fun.

But it is as others have said here, if the only time you wear heels is on a cruise, then this is not the time to try them out. Wear flats, or a small heel, or wedge shoes. Wedges offer a lot more stability.

I am a shoe addict and have been known to buy a pair of shoes in every colour! This website allows me to feed my habit at a very reasonable price! They now deliver worldwide!

Happy shopping!

http://www.everything5pounds.com

Freedom b2b Sept 2014

Splendor Jan 2014

Breeze Sept 2013

Imagination Sept 2013

Triumph Sept 2008

Pride Sept 2007

Miracle Sept 2006

Thanks for the link, that is a great site. I love the prices.

I am a brit living over in the US, I just have to remember to put in my brit size instead of my US size :what:

And do you find that the shoes run small? I noticed that a few reviewers mentioned that.

I'm a standard UK 4 but I always order a 3 and they are all a perfect fit!

I ordered these in pretty much every colour!

That dress I ordered in 3 different colours and always get comments on how unique it is. It's perfect for summer/cruising as the lace overlay is separate so I only need to pack the coloured slips.

Freedom b2b Sept 2014

Splendor Jan 2014

Breeze Sept 2013

Imagination Sept 2013

Triumph Sept 2008

Pride Sept 2007

Miracle Sept 2006

1405944297575.jpg.fe733fdf0c629fbfdd36d0fa02fee1b8.jpg

1405944345232.jpg.dc730e085a15f972e710827e01835bb6.jpg

OMG. That site is fantastic! I already have like 5 pairs on my wish list. They look fairly well-made for such a low price. And they are super trendy.

So do you feel they run big, small or true to size? I wear a 9 US and I'm tempted to get an 8 UK bc I usually wear a 40 EUR.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I order a size down in shoes and have always found them to fit perfectly. Clothes I order a size up in jackets my usual size in dresses.

Freedom b2b Sept 2014

Splendor Jan 2014

Breeze Sept 2013

Imagination Sept 2013

Triumph Sept 2008

Pride Sept 2007

Miracle Sept 2006

I found this site that might help you with sizes. It reminded me that I am a size 5 brit, 37 euro and 7 usa.

http://www.zappos.com/c/shoe-size-conversion?gclid=CjwKEAjw9LKeBRDurOugs43jnlgSJACUXqHxqEi3vuB7-i_A3wcVhOQLAgtMqOuuk7PQiY2aAn5oOxoC8_zw_wcB

And I too have a list of shoes I want. It looks as if with shipping to the US each pair will cost about $16.

Thanks again for the link. I am now looking at dresses after seeing the photo of the dress.

I never wear heels anywhere because they hurt my feet. However I have lovely dressy flats and sandals which I wear for elegant ocassions.

Then you are sensible Barb,

no use wearing things that hurt. And these days there are tons of flat or low shoes that are very dressy.

I had a friend that had to wear tennis shoes because of a foot condition. She just used to use spray glue and glitter to give them a fun lift.