Pearl Harbor- Better before or after POA cruise

benzygirl

Is it necessary to go on a tour, in order to avoid waiting in line for hours?

Friends of ours arrived at 9:00am and were not able to see the Arizona until 1:30pm - as we only have 1 free day, until we board the ship - not sure what to do - anyone suggest a tour operator, if that is the way to go.

Thanks.

If you have time, no it isn't necessary to use a tour. You get there relatively early, get the next available ticket. Then, if you have a lot of time, check out the Missouri, the Bowfin, or the Museum. Lots of things to do if you have the interests.

A little reading on the board would reveal that Roberts is the number 0ne tour provider by far, and good quality. There are a few others out there.

Here is the link to the website to make reservations, so you can plan when you want to go.

http://www.nps.gov/valr/index.htm

I would do it early on the day you arrive or the day thereafter, when you are still dealing with time change and the crowds are smaller. You are coming from Florida, so the temperature won't affect you but I find coming from Maine, it takes me a few days to get used to the mid day heat.

Edited by MommaBear55

• 4 weeks later...

We sailed Pride of America 12/14 - 22. Since Pearl Harbor is so close to the airport, we chose to "do" it on disembark day. We reserved VIP Transportation shuttle to airport at 8:30AM, rolled all our luggage off ship. VIP waited for other people, so didn't get moving until about 9:00. Had arranged with Aloha Airport Delivery and Storage to pick up our bags at the airport (you can check some small ones at Pearl Harbor). Aloha charges $20.00 for 1st 2 bags, then $5.00 each over that. Taxi to Pearl - @ $16.00 plus tip. Got tickets to the Arizona (get them as soon as possible) - had to wait 1.5 hours, just enough to go through the displays and gift shop. We only "did" the Arizona, but took time on the grounds to look at the Bowfin, torpedo, conning tower and anti-aircraft guns. Taxi back to airport. Got there @ 2:30. No problem and quick service having bags delivered to curbside by Aloha.

• 2 weeks later...
Have two days before or the disembarkation day of the cruise to see Pearl Harbor which is a must. Any suggestions on when would be best to go? Our plane leaves at 4PM

Thanks so much!

we're flying in the Thursday before our Sat cruise on POA............. so we're going to do everything the 2 days before we sail... but then again, our plane flies out at 2-3 pm Saturday. I think we will be too pooped to do much after the cruise :D

Thanks for all the info. Somehow I didn't want to spend my last day in Hawii on a bus, seeing Pearl Harbor and getting to the airport. So I got this great idea to extended our vacation 2 nights on the North Shore after we disembark. Now we'll arrive in Waikiki on Thursday, rent a car and do Pearl Harbor on Friday and relax on Saturday before we board. The two nights post cruise at the Turtle Bay, will give us a chance to drive around to the North Shore, and relax for a couple of days before our 12 hour flight back to Florida. I feel like it all clicks! :D:D And PS..I booked the Pearl Harbor tickets online for 11 AM on Friday morning. Very easy to do, but you must be there an hour earlier to pick up your tickets.

Edited by benzygirl