Embarkation Day Questions

jac1976

Hello. My family and I are going on the Queen Victoria next month. We spend a few days in London before embarkation and are staying at the Langham Hotel which was booked through Cunard.

1. When do we find out what time we depart for Southampton? Looking at our tickets, our embarkation time is somewhere around 12:30 if I remember correctly. We are using Cunard transportation from the hotel to the ship, so I am assuming they will put a large group of us on a bus at a set time. Is that correct?

2. Am I allowed to carry a bag with me? I know that I am supposed to put the luggage tags on my luggage and it will be delivered to my stateroom, but I am concerned about getting our luggage before supper and having the appropriate attire. I was going to pack a soft hanging bag with our evening clothes just in case that I was hoping to carry on board with me.

3. Are there places in the embarkation area to sit down? We are traveling with my 82 year old father-in-law and I am concerned about him standing in line for a long period of time. I don't mind standing in line for him, but was hoping he could sit and wait somewhere until it was time to actually check in.

Thank you!

Hello. My family and I are going on the Queen Victoria next month. We spend a few days in London before embarkation and are staying at the Langham Hotel which was booked through Cunard.

1. When do we find out what time we depart for Southampton? Looking at our tickets, our embarkation time is somewhere around 12:30 if I remember correctly. We are using Cunard transportation from the hotel to the ship, so I am assuming they will put a large group of us on a bus at a set time. Is that correct?

2. Am I allowed to carry a bag with me? I know that I am supposed to put the luggage tags on my luggage and it will be delivered to my stateroom, but I am concerned about getting our luggage before supper and having the appropriate attire. I was going to pack a soft hanging bag with our evening clothes just in case that I was hoping to carry on board with me.

3. Are there places in the embarkation area to sit down? We are traveling with my 82 year old father-in-law and I am concerned about him standing in line for a long period of time. I don't mind standing in line for him, but was hoping he could sit and wait somewhere until it was time to actually check in.

Thank you!

Departure time will be listed in your cruise documents. Usually around 5pm.

You can carry a small bag with you. The size shouldn't exceed the size of airplane carry on.

Can't answer that. Cunard should have people with wheel chairs to help. Call Cunard and ask.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Forums mobile app

Edited by Kamloops50

Thank you!

1.. Departure time is shown as 1630 from Berth 46 (Ocean Terminal Dock Gate 4) for all sailings in August except Aug 31st when its shown at 1630 from Berth 38/9 (QE11 Terminal) Dock gate 4 entrance.

Timings and berths subject to alteration.

http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/Live_Information/Shipping_Movements_and_Cruise_Ship_Schedule/Cruise_Ship_Schedule/

2. As your travelling by coach you can take with you what you wish and carry on board what u want as long as you can carry/wheel it onboard your self. Any Luggage you are not carrying on board must be deposited with the porters prior to entering the Check in Terminals.

3. Yes there are places to sit down once you have gone through check in and security. At Ocean Terminal berth 46 there is a snack bar/Coffee Toilets Seating prior to checking in, Once checked in and through security you will be onboard.

At QE11 Terminal you wait to get boarded via a Card system after checking in and security.

City Terminal berth 106, you go through security first, limited seating whilst waiting, then check in and wait with plenty of seating / Tea Coffee Kiosk available, to board.

Wheelchairs will be available at all terminals and the staff will assist you, you will have no problem with that.

Edited by Pennbank

Boarding at Southampton starts at 1200 & your bags will be delivered to your room early afternoon, If your 82 yr. old can not stand for long ask for wheelchair assistance when you arrive at the terminal NOT at the check in desk, They will take him right to your room this I recommend as the walk up the ramps to the ship is quite a long way uphill ,Wheelchair passengers board just after the Grills Passengers as well. They will also take him off of the ship at the end of the cruise as well if you want them to.

Edited by zider

There is a machine (X-ray?) that you have to put any hand-carry bags and other items though--as you exit the terminal just before boarding the ship.

So, the size of the bag is limited by what fits through the machine.

What you would take as a hand-carry on an airplane (small wheeled bag) would be fine. Extra-large suitcases need to be brought aboard by baggage handlers.

You will see many passengers boarding with hand-carried belongings.

I believe you might be required to lift the bag onto the machine yourself--so "nothing impossibly heavy" is something to keep in mind.

You will find the boarding process very orderly in Southampton. The terminal staff does a marvelous job! It's really stress free.

1.. Departure time is shown as 1630 from Berth 46 (Ocean Terminal Dock Gate 4) for all sailings in August except Aug 31st when its shown at 1630 from Berth 38/9 (QE11 Terminal) Dock gate 4 entrance.

Which terminal is better, the QE2 terminal, or the Ocean Terminal?

Cunard will have to let you know when you will board the bus for Southampton. And yes, the coach will stop at other London hotels to pick up more passengers. Friends of mine who were staying at the St. Ermine before their May 9, 2014 QM2 crossing were gathered late morning to be taken to The Ocean Terminal. They finally boarded the ship around 4:00 PM. On the other hand we planned our hotel stay and transfers using Smith's, and leaving Kensington at 10:00 AM we were onboard the ship by 12:30 PM.

I prefer The Ocean Terminal. It's newer and closer to the dock's front gate and town.

Edited by Calliope