St Lucia's Local Opinion

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 04:18 PM.
#21
10,087 Posts
Joined Apr 2003
Any experience / opinions on Calabash Cove?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Skiiergirl (and Mr. Ski)

Register for the Meet and Mingle here: https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/ccEntry.do
(You will need the ship name, sailing date, and booking number.)

Most posts are done from my iPad. So please overlook the typos/stupid autocorrect that I don't catch! Interpret what I mean not how it reads.

No children, No guilt, Spending the cats' inheritance one cruise at a time!
#22
toronto, ontario,canada
616 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
It's been years since we've been to St Lucia and we took a ships tour last time. Don't want to do that this time. Is it necessary to book with a company before we go or will there be tour companies waiting on shore when we get off the ship? Thinking of going down to Soufriere, any idea how much that might be? Is there a bus that goes there?

thanks
#23
St Lucia
10 Posts
Joined Oct 2015
Originally posted by bjay3
It's been years since we've been to St Lucia and we took a ships tour last time. Don't want to do that this time. Is it necessary to book with a company before we go or will there be tour companies waiting on shore when we get off the ship? Thinking of going down to Soufriere, any idea how much that might be? Is there a bus that goes there?

thanks
I think it would be better to book in advance with a tour company as a tour to soufriere is generally 5 - 6 hours. The tour guides would be waiting for you as soon as you step off your ship. The most popular tours to Soufriere seem to be the Land & Sea tour. You can inquire from Soufrieretours.com and Herodstours.com for their Land & Sea packages. StLucia Airport Taxi & Tours or St Lucia Cruise Tours are great options for Land tours to soufriere.
#24
St Lucia
10 Posts
Joined Oct 2015
Originally posted by travelers2
We will be in St. Lucia in Dec. off the cruise ship. Is it safe to walk to the cathedral? How far is it? Is there anything near the cruise terminal to see on our own? We have been there before & have done the island tour. Any suggestions? Would like your input.
Thanks!
There are lots of things that you can do around Castries. You can visit the local Craft Market and Vendors Arcade which is right next to the cruise Port. The cathedral is about 5 minute brisk walk from the cruise terminal. It is quite safe to walk to the cathedral but just be cautious just as you would be in your own country. Pointe Seraphine, Rodney Bay Shopping MallBay Walk Shopping Mall and nearby beaches are also great options. Take along passport and tickets for duty free shopping.
#25
52 Posts
Joined Sep 2009
Hi, Dex and Reedprincess, thanks to the both of you for coming to this site and giving everyone great information.
We have been to St. Lucia before and did Herod's tour which we very much enjoyed.
This time we are looking for some beach time and probably have it narrowed down to Rendezvous Day pass or Reduit Beach.
One of my questions is about taxi fare. When one says $30 taxi fare is that per person or the total fare for everyone in taxi? If it is for everyone, do they have a limit of passengers per taxi?

My other question is about the market in Castries. We will be there in early December this year. Do you have any idea what type of fruit they might have? Wondering if any Rambutan, Mangoes, or Lychees would be in season then?
Thanks again
#26
St Lucia
10 Posts
Joined Oct 2015
Originally posted by rad798
Hi, Dex and Reedprincess, thanks to the both of you for coming to this site and giving everyone great information.
We have been to St. Lucia before and did Herod's tour which we very much enjoyed.
This time we are looking for some beach time and probably have it narrowed down to Rendezvous Day pass or Reduit Beach.
One of my questions is about taxi fare. When one says $30 taxi fare is that per person or the total fare for everyone in taxi? If it is for everyone, do they have a limit of passengers per taxi?

My other question is about the market in Castries. We will be there in early December this year. Do you have any idea what type of fruit they might have? Wondering if any Rambutan, Mangoes, or Lychees would be in season then?
Thanks again
hi,

$30 taxi fare is for 1 - 3 persons to Rodney Bay area from Castries. The taxi drivers would normally charge $4 US for every additional person. Rambutan & Lychees may be possible to get at the nearby supermarket. Oranges, mangoes, grapefruits and other locally grown fruits should be available at the Castries market.
#27
Mission Viejo, CA
103 Posts
Joined May 2007
Originally posted by Dex2015
There are lots of things that you can do around Castries. You can visit the local Craft Market and Vendors Arcade which is right next to the cruise Port. The cathedral is about 5 minute brisk walk from the cruise terminal. It is quite safe to walk to the cathedral but just be cautious just as you would be in your own country. Pointe Seraphine, Rodney Bay Shopping MallBay Walk Shopping Mall and nearby beaches are also great options. Take along passport and tickets for duty free shopping.
Really appreciate your input!!

Thanks a lot!!
#28
St. Lucia, West Indies
3,374 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
Originally posted by skiiergirl
Any experience / opinions on Calabash Cove?
Calabash Cove is a beautiful property on a small lovely Cove beach. What in particular are you inquiring about? They do allow day visitors, if they have space available -you'll need to contact them in advance. They are about 20 or so minutes north of the port, taxi will cost about $25us one way for up to three passengers. Leave longer on the return due to only one road back.
#29
10,087 Posts
Joined Apr 2003
Originally posted by reedprincess
Calabash Cove is a beautiful property on a small lovely Cove beach. What in particular are you inquiring about? They do allow day visitors, if they have space available -you'll need to contact them in advance. They are about 20 or so minutes north of the port, taxi will cost about $25us one way for up to three passengers. Leave longer on the return due to only one road back.
Thanks so much. Yes, we have inquired to them about the day "visit". Thanks for the info on the road!

There will be 6 of us. Will we need 2 taxis or will there be a van available? Cost for 6 if we are able to get a larger vehicle?

Thanks.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Skiiergirl (and Mr. Ski)

Register for the Meet and Mingle here: https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/ccEntry.do
(You will need the ship name, sailing date, and booking number.)

Most posts are done from my iPad. So please overlook the typos/stupid autocorrect that I don't catch! Interpret what I mean not how it reads.

No children, No guilt, Spending the cats' inheritance one cruise at a time!
#30
St. Lucia, West Indies
3,374 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
Originally posted by skiiergirl
Thanks so much. Yes, we have inquired to them about the day "visit". Thanks for the info on the road!

There will be 6 of us. Will we need 2 taxis or will there be a van available? Cost for 6 if we are able to get a larger vehicle?

Thanks.
There will be larger vehicle options, cost is usually about an extra $3-5 per passenger one way. Licensed taxi operators should be in uniform and be driving a vehicle with "TX" license plates. Other drivers do attempt to pirate the route, so do be aware. If at Pointe Seraphine (the single story pier), the licensed taxi operators will be based at a small building put at the front gate, tannish-colored shirts.
Enjoy your visit.
#31
10,087 Posts
Joined Apr 2003
Originally posted by reedprincess
There will be larger vehicle options, cost is usually about an extra $3-5 per passenger one way. Licensed taxi operators should be in uniform and be driving a vehicle with "TX" license plates. Other drivers do attempt to pirate the route, so do be aware. If at Pointe Seraphine (the single story pier), the licensed taxi operators will be based at a small building put at the front gate, tannish-colored shirts.
Enjoy your visit.
Thx!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Skiiergirl (and Mr. Ski)

Register for the Meet and Mingle here: https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/ccEntry.do
(You will need the ship name, sailing date, and booking number.)

Most posts are done from my iPad. So please overlook the typos/stupid autocorrect that I don't catch! Interpret what I mean not how it reads.

No children, No guilt, Spending the cats' inheritance one cruise at a time!
#32
West Sussex. UK
1,497 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
Originally posted by rad798
Hi, Dex and Reedprincess, thanks to the both of you for coming to this site and giving everyone great information.
We have been to St. Lucia before and did Herod's tour which we very much enjoyed.
This time we are looking for some beach time and probably have it narrowed down to Rendezvous Day pass or Reduit Beach.
One of my questions is about taxi fare. When one says $30 taxi fare is that per person or the total fare for everyone in taxi? If it is for everyone, do they have a limit of passengers per taxi?
I wouldn't go to Reduit beach. It is absolutely crowded when the cruise ships are in. Shoulder to shoulder right to the edge of the sea.
#33
687 Posts
Joined Dec 2004
Hi Dex,

Thanks for all the posts and advice. I saw on an earlier post you mentioned beaches near the port. Are they nice enough for someone just wanting beach and sun for the day cheap? How far are they - can they walk or do they need to cab, and if cab, what do they ask for?

Thank you again!
#34
St. Lucia, West Indies
3,374 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
Originally posted by Denise&Paul STL
Hi Dex,

Thanks for all the posts and advice. I saw on an earlier post you mentioned beaches near the port. Are they nice enough for someone just wanting beach and sun for the day cheap? How far are they - can they walk or do they need to cab, and if cab, what do they ask for?

Thank you again!
The beach nearest the port is Vigie Beach....There's lots of posts here with info about, exact walking direrections rom either pier, etc. Just use the search feature, top right corner of forum to find them.
Lots of natural shade, local rum and food shacks down near the airport entrance, facilities at the airport if needed, etc. No chairs or umbrellas to rent, no real need, loads of natural shade, some benches scattered around the beach, a few grassy areas, etc. Perfectly fine to set down towels, sunbathe, take a swim, etc. 15-20 minute walk from port.
Enjoy your visit...
#35
near gettysburg, pa
1,252 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Are there any good lunch options on Saturday within walking distance of the pier.
Also, if there are better options farther - best way to do transportation.
Also - good lunch options if we go to Marigot Bay?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Will Work for Cruises



Aug 22, 2017; Oct 19, 2017; Dec 9, 2017; March 15, 2018; May 5, 2018; Oct 6, 2018; Dec 13, 2018; March 16, 2019
#36
St. Lucia, West Indies
3,374 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
Originally posted by atb
Are there any good lunch options on Saturday within walking distance of the pier.
Also, if there are better options farther - best way to do transportation.
Also - good lunch options if we go to Marigot Bay?
Sundays are tough as most of the city is closed down. The craft and food market, etc will all be closed. You van take a cab to Rodney Bay for multiple dining options such as Spinnakers, Bay Gardens Beach Resort restaurants, etc..Marigot has a few options but they are expensive, and the beach is very small along the front of the yacht Harbor. You van check out Pink Plantation House, along the hillside above the port - great local food and amazing views, beautiful setting. You would need to arrange a reservation though to be sure they're ready for you. Aubergine Seraphine is a small Guesthouse near the poet with great food also, would be open.
Enjoy your visit.
#37
Ohio
154 Posts
Joined Aug 2013
Are water shoes necessary for a land and sea tour (Herod's specifically)? I don't own them and prefer not to buy them if they're not necessary. What footwear do you recommend?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


PAST CRUISES:

Carnival Sunshine, May 17-25, 2014
Grand Turk, St. Thomas, Tortola, St. Maarten
#38
St Lucia
10 Posts
Joined Oct 2015
Originally posted by Kelsey D
Are water shoes necessary for a land and sea tour (Herod's specifically)? I don't own them and prefer not to buy them if they're not necessary. What footwear do you recommend?
No. I did a tour once and most persons would store their shoes away until they get to Soufriere. You should walk with shoes that you feel comfortable with wallking on land as there is no need for shoes on the boat.
#39
Windsor, Vermont
2,248 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
Originally posted by reedprincess
Sundays are tough as most of the city is closed down. The craft and food market, etc will all be closed. You van take a cab to Rodney Bay for multiple dining options such as Spinnakers, Bay Gardens Beach Resort restaurants, etc..Marigot has a few options but they are expensive, and the beach is very small along the front of the yacht Harbor. You van check out Pink Plantation House, along the hillside above the port - great local food and amazing views, beautiful setting. You would need to arrange a reservation though to be sure they're ready for you. Aubergine Seraphine is a small Guesthouse near the poet with great food also, would be open.
Enjoy your visit.
We will be in port on a Monday in April and would love to do lunch at the Pink Plantation. Will it be easy to find a taxi to take us there upon arrival and what is the likely cost?

Thanks!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Explorer of the Seas 9/04 (got us hooked!)
Jewel of the Seas Repo 11/05
Rhapsody of the Seas/Galveston "last minute" 4/16/06
Jewel of the Seas Repo 10/06
Serenade Ohana Hawaii Circle Cruise 10/07
Explorer again 3/7/08
Explorer to Bermuda 10/18/08 "last minute"
NCL Dawn Repo 11/1/09
Disney Wonder 10/14/10 Friends and Family Discount!
Jewel of the Seas Repo Oct 2010
Disney Dream 1/11/11
Liberty of the Seas Transatlantic Oct 2011
Disney Fantasy Mar 2012
Celebrity Equinox 11/5/12
Carnival Dream 2/23/13
Brilliance of the Seas Repo 10/27/13
Serenade of the Seas 4/18/16
NCL Breakaway 11/13/16
Vision of the Seas 8/22/17
Celebrity Summit 2/17/2018
#40
Metro Atlanta
856 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
Is the public transportation / bus system tourist friendly? Please share any info you have on cost and reliability. Is it easy to get to a bus from the port. We are not interested in an island tour. We would like to see Diamond Falls, the botanical garden, and spend some time at a beach.