St Lucia's Local Opinion

Dex2015

You mentioned you went prior to Rendevoux. We have been twice to Reduit/Rodney Bay and wanted to try something different and close to the port. Should we get the half day pass for $45 (even though we are only there 7-3 so a very short day), or should we just get transportation over to Rendevous Resort area beach and do the beach on our own (Vigie Beach).

Toying with the idea of renting a car for a DIY day. I don't see any posts where anyone has done this. Is it inadvisable?

There are lots of posts about it, and yes - inadvisable due to road conditions, distances from Port for the sites and lack of signage.... The main sights are more than an hour from Port down winding mountainous narrow roads, driving on the left (British system). Given the distances involved and road conditions, it's not a wise choice to drive yourself around when you have such limited time on Island.

You mentioned you went prior to Rendevoux. We have been twice to Reduit/Rodney Bay and wanted to try something different and close to the port. Should we get the half day pass for $45 (even though we are only there 7-3 so a very short day), or should we just get transportation over to Rendevous Resort area beach and do the beach on our own (Vigie Beach).

Umm, who are you asking? As you don't mention any screen name nor did you quote anyone's post,it's difficult to tell whom your asking your question of....

If you mainly just want a calm, lovely beach day - definitely skip the day pass and head to the boardwalk down on Vigie Beach and enjoy the beach, ocean, some eats and drinks from the local food outlets and bars, etc. Plenty of shade available, chairs available if you want, etc.

Of you want the whole resort experience, then do the day pass... Rendezvous is lovely, very peaceful, but your hours do kinda stink. That's a bummer.

Enjoy, whichever you choose...

There are lots of posts about it, and yes - inadvisable due to road conditions, distances from Port for the sites and lack of signage.... The main sights are more than an hour from Port down winding mountainous narrow roads, driving on the left (British system). Given the distances involved and road conditions, it's not a wise choice to drive yourself around when you have such limited time on Island.

Thank you for the information. The left side driving wouldn't be an issue, given the makeup of our party, but the other points you make are well-taken. My objective is to get the feel of the island and see the pitons. The tours all seem to include a chunk of beach time and/or a chance to take a mud bath (which has no appeal to us). Do you have a recommendation on how we can have an experience that would meet our interests?

Thank you for the information. The left side driving wouldn't be an issue, given the makeup of our party, but the other points you make are well-taken. My objective is to get the feel of the island and see the pitons. The tours all seem to include a chunk of beach time and/or a chance to take a mud bath (which has no appeal to us). Do you have a recommendation on how we can have an experience that would meet our interests?

You can easily either book a customized tour or hire a driver right at the port to take you to the places you want to see without the beach time. Prices will vary in length of trip, distance traveled, how many of you, etc. But for a private driver for the day, party of 4 or so, you can expect around $200 for the full day.

Enjoy.

We have used Island Man Taxi and he customized a tour for us. We told him what we wanted to see (and what we didn't) and he did great for us.

We will be in St. Lucia in March for the first time. Will be on a RCI cruise so just there for the day.

Normally we just get a taxi right at the port to take us around the island but I recently read a review from someone who was just there and had booked a private company tour prior to arriving on his ship. He mentioned there were places that he did not feel safe. He didn't mention the name of the tour company or where he was that made him uneasy.

So now I am rethinking the taxi tour. We are 3 women traveling.

Any thoughts on this?? And also how bad are the roads there? I am not fond of narrow winding roads.

Thanks!

We will be in St. Lucia in March for the first time. Will be on a RCI cruise so just there for the day.

Normally we just get a taxi right at the port to take us around the island but I recently read a review from someone who was just there and had booked a private company tour prior to arriving on his ship. He mentioned there were places that he did not feel safe. He didn't mention the name of the tour company or where he was that made him uneasy.

So now I am rethinking the taxi tour. We are 3 women traveling.

Any thoughts on this?? And also how bad are the roads there? I am not fond of narrow winding roads.

Thanks!

The roads can be fairly windy but I did not feel unsafe. Another lady and I (so just 2 females) prebooked with Island Man Taxi and we felt very safe with him. We have never used the larger tour companies but I have heard many good things about Cosol tours.

It was not the roads that made this cruiser uneasy. He said he just did not feel safe in several areas where they stopped.

So that is what I was asking about. We usually do not pre-book a tour, just find a taxi once we get off the ship to show us around and I wondered if this was a safe thing to do in St. Lucia.

I mentioned the roads because I have been to some islands where a taxi ride is kind of wild with the hills and narrow roads. And I tend to get car sick on roads like that.

Thanks.

Our ship will be coming into port in February and I was wondering the best thing to do with children ? Heard that Rendezvous Resort looks great but it looks like couples only. Plus I didn't see any day passes on the website.

Rendezvous is an adults and coupes only resort. Would not be doable with kids.

Best thing to do depends on what you're into or interested in. An island tour is very popular, even with kids - waterfalls, volcano, beach, etc.

The splash Park at Reduit Beach/Bay Gardens Beach Resort is quite fun and popular aldo, worth checking out

Pirate ship adventure with SeaSpray or Serenity TVL, erc is fun and popular.

Hiking Pigeon Island and SNUBA is popular and fun.

Horseback riding. ATV. Zip lining. And so in. Depends on what your interests, activity level, budget etc all is...

It was not the roads that made this cruiser uneasy. He said he just did not feel safe in several areas where they stopped.

So that is what I was asking about. We usually do not pre-book a tour, just find a taxi once we get off the ship to show us around and I wondered if this was a safe thing to do in St. Lucia.

I mentioned the roads because I have been to some islands where a taxi ride is kind of wild with the hills and narrow roads. And I tend to get car sick on roads like that.

Thanks.

Note that said poster never returned to explain why they didn't feel safe, or where it was that they didn't feel safe. And it's one poster out of thousands who visit via cruise ships daily during the season....so, grain of salt.

Valid concern of course, but sometime people feel uneasy because things look so different than home or what they're used to. St Lucia is not a prettified or gentrified island - it's very much home to working people going about their business and to some, it doesn't quite match what they think of for a tourist destination....perhaps that's all it was.

Overall, St Lucia is amongst the safer Caribbean islands for tourism. Is there crime against tourists - sure, just as there is I'm any tourism destination. Mainly crime of opportunity rather than premeditated or violent crime - ie petty theft on spur of the moment, usually of someone holding valuables loosely like phone in hand or such or snatched and grab a bag left unattended... As always, be aware of your surroundings, secure your valuables, don't wave large amounts of cash or jewelry around, etc..

As for hiring a taxi at Port to explore - that can be a great idea. Taxis are uninformed, licensed and registered drivers, taxi should have a TX plate to ensure its a registered taxi, agree on a price in advance, etc. Do have an idea of where you want to go also, and approx prices. An all day taxi tour should run approx $200.

Have a wonderful visit!

Thank you so much for that information.

We have been lucky enough to visit many islands over our cruises and really enjoy seeing not only the tourist sights but also the people who live and work there.

We are only interested on a two or so hour tour as we are all elderly and don't want to be gone all day. Is it possible to work that out with a driver or do they only want the all day tour?

Thanks again for the help. Oh and can you tell me about the roads? Is it very hilly to ride around the island?

Thank you so much for that information.

We have been lucky enough to visit many islands over our cruises and really enjoy seeing not only the tourist sights but also the people who live and work there.

We are only interested on a two or so hour tour as we are all elderly and don't want to be gone all day. Is it possible to work that out with a driver or do they only want the all day tour?

Thanks again for the help. Oh and can you tell me about the roads? Is it very hilly to ride around the island?

There's very little to see on an hour or two tour if St Lucia unfortunately. At most, you can drive up the Morne, and head up to Rodney Bay and back, without actually stopping anywhere.

Or a drive to the viewpoint at Marigot Bay and back. Either of those would take at least 1.15-1.5 hours r/t driving, and you really wouldn't see much at all, just the roads and some houses and businesses.

Consider maybe a trip to Pigeon Island with some time there - national park with ruins, beach, restaurants, park area, etc. Some island history from the old British-French wars, etc.

Or a stroll around Castries to the Cathedral, Derek Wallcott Square, Castries Craft and Food market and back to the ship.

In the north, roads are mainly flattish with some gentle Hills, narrow but we'll paved and heavily traveled, so expect traffic. Heading south to the main sights and experiences of the island, roads are mountainous, winding and narrow but decently paved.

You may want to do some more research about St Lucia to see what sorts of things you're interested in seeing, etc.

Taxi prices generally depend on where you're going more than length of time, but you can reasonably expect around $40 or so an hour is just staying around the Castries area.

Reedprincess- sorry for so many questions but could you help me with one more?

How long is the taxi ride from where the ship docks to Pigeon Island? And is that ride on a narrow winding road?

Thank you so much for the help.

Edited by dixieva

I don't have time to read all the postings, but if this was not recommended as as tour, then I am going to suggest it.

We did Cosol tours in St. Luicia, and it was MORE than wonderful to us. This has been within the past 2 years, and the cost was $75 which may seem like a lot, but I'll tell you, we would have even paid $100, as it was worth every penny went spent on it. We went in an enclosed van that holds about 20 and was very comfortable to ride it. We were fed more than once during this trip as well. Actually it took a little longer (sometimes "people" lag behind and don't come at the time they are told to) that had been planned, but everything worked out fine. You can Google Cosol tours in St. Lucia (St. Lucia is my favorite island in 26 years of cruising), and it will explain in "details" everything they do during the tour. If you have any questions, they very good about getting back with you on answers as well.

Reedprincess- sorry for so many questions but could you help me with one more?

How long is the taxi ride from where the ship docks to Pigeon Island? And is that ride on a narrow winding road?

Thank you so much for the help.

As noted in the numerous posts about Pigeon Island, whether in this thread or stand alone threads a cab to PI is approx $35 one way and takes about 30 minutes or so. Leave plenty of time for return as there is only one road between them and traffic can be solid sometimes. Taxis are readily available at the park or you can arrange with original driver to pick you up at specific time. PI is a national park and had a $7 pp entrance fee to help with Park maintenance, etc

Enjoy.

You may have already seen my posting of using Cosol Tours in St. Lucia, and they are the best, in our opinion. You can google them and it will tell ALL the details of the tour, price, etc. We would have even paid more, as they were so good.

St. Lucia (too costly to get there all the way from Missouri) is my favorite port. I have been there twice, and would love to go more, but MONEY, does make a difference. :) St. Lucia reminds of a Crayola box of colors. To me, it has just about every color, as well as mountains and valleys.

Hope you enjoy St. Lucia as I always have.

ReedPrincess. Thanks so much for your help. We have been to St. Lucia once and loved it. Beautiful place! We did a speedboat tour to the Pitons and snorkeled at several places. Wonderful. We will be returning in March on a cruise and are trying to decide what to do. If you had to pick a place that we really need to see, what would it be? We are thinking that we don't want to do the Pitons trip because we have seen them. Although they are magnificent:)

We are in port from 8-5.

Thank you.

Laura

ReedPrincess. Thanks so much for your help. We have been to St. Lucia once and loved it. Beautiful place! We did a speedboat tour to the Pitons and snorkeled at several places. Wonderful. We will be returning in March on a cruise and are trying to decide what to do. If you had to pick a place that we really need to see, what would it be? We are thinking that we don't want to do the Pitons trip because we have seen them. Although they are magnificent:)

We are in port from 8-5.

Thank you.

Laura

Entirely depends on what you're interested in. If beach and ruins, head to Pigeon Island... National Park with ruins, hiking, nice beach, a bit of snorkeling and excellent local food on site...

Any suggestions for a group of six adults that just want to make it a lazy day in St. Lucia? No island tours, snorkeling, or beach days. Our cruise is port heavy and we're looking to make this a day close to the port, maybe back on board way early to begin heavy use of the unlimited drink pass. What's a good way to kill a couple hours ?

TIA

Any suggestions for a group of six adults that just want to make it a lazy day in St. Lucia? No island tours, snorkeling, or beach days. Our cruise is port heavy and we're looking to make this a day close to the port, maybe back on board way early to begin heavy use of the unlimited drink pass. What's a good way to kill a couple hours ?

TIA

Shame to miss out on what sets St Lucia apart, but if you just want a basic day, take a walk over to the Castries Craft and Food market for a browse and see all the wondeful fruits and veggies, meats and fish available on Island, all local. Crafts and souvenirs, plus a full spice market. Maybe followed by a walk over to Vigie Beach (20 minutes easy walk) for a swim and bite to eat or drink then back inboard. Or stay in Castries and take a walk over to the Cathedral, through Derek Wallcott Square then back to the ship..