St Lucia's Local Opinion

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 04:17 PM.
St. Lucia, West Indies
3,374 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
Originally posted by lanabanana
We will be in port on a Monday in April and would love to do lunch at the Pink Plantation. Will it be easy to find a taxi to take us there upon arrival and what is the likely cost?

Thanks!
Yes, taxis are readily available at the port. Be sure to have a reservation in advance so the restaurant knows to expect you. Coat would be about $50us r/t (likely a little less, but just in case).
Missouri
13 Posts
Joined Jan 2016
My fiance and I are wanting a little more of a relaxing day in St. Lucia. We are thinking about spending some time in the market area, grabbing lunch back on the ship and then heading to Vigie Beach for a few hours. We may grab lunch on the way to the beach instead. Does this seem like a good way to spend the day in St. Lucia?
St. Lucia, West Indies
3,374 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
Originally posted by bkurtzcruiser
My fiance and I are wanting a little more of a relaxing day in St. Lucia. We are thinking about spending some time in the market area, grabbing lunch back on the ship and then heading to Vigie Beach for a few hours. We may grab lunch on the way to the beach instead. Does this seem like a good way to spend the day in St. Lucia?
Sounds like a great way to spend your day. Craft and Food market in the morning, lunch there or else over at Vigie Beach at one of the local food shacks works great. You would be able to go back to the ship if you prefer, but why miss out on great local eats? Lol. Enjoy.
St. Lucia, West Indies
3,374 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
Originally posted by LaShelle2
Is the public transportation / bus system tourist friendly? Please share any info you have on cost and reliability. Is it easy to get to a bus from the port. We are not interested in an island tour. We would like to see Diamond Falls, the botanical garden, and spend some time at a beach.
Unfortunately, no, the bus system is not tourist friendly. Especially not for visitors in a strict timeline such as cruise guests. To get to Soufriere itself, you need to walk a rose town to the Soufriere bus stand, wait for the bus to fill up (only leaves when it's full, not on any timetable), then take the 60-90 minute ride south, with however many as necessary stops down the way as it drops off and picks up passengers along the way. Once in Soufriere, you would need another bus out to Diamond Falls and Botanical gardens, again waiting for it to fill, or paying for the empty seats yourself. Then wait on a bus for your return - waiting for one that has space for however many in your party as you'll be picking it up mid-route. Once back in Soufriere, you can enjoy the beach and have lunch, but then give yourself plenty of time to get a bus, wait for it to fill to leave, then enjoy the ride back up to Castries, and walk back across the city to the port. Leave a minimum of two hour for this, at least. Really nor conducive to a time-constrained visit... Better to hire a taxi from the port who can take you directly where you want to go with no waiting, no extraneous stops, etc..
Enjoy your trip.
St. Lucia, West Indies
3,374 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
Originally posted by oceanlvr1016
We are taking a whale / dolphin watch the second week of February. Any hope that we will see some whale!
Of course there's hope! Whales are all around the Caribbean during the winter season, as they have migrated from colder climes... There's never a guarantee but you have a good chance...Enjoy your visit.
Syracuse NY
40 Posts
Joined May 2014
Are there any beach clubs that charge a nonimal fee for use of facilities and a pool with food and drink available for purchase? Not looking for AI.
Manitowoc, WI
79 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
We will be in St. Lucia on 3/17 aboard the Royal Princess. We do not want to do a tour as we have done several on past visits. We would like to go to Pigeon Island and heard you can get water taxi to get there. Is that true & if so, any idea how much it will cost? Also, where would we catch it?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruise History:
Emerald Seas/Admiral 1974
Norway/Norwegian 09/1988
Skyward/Norwegian 06/1989
Nordic Prince/RCCL 02/1991
Crown Princess/Princess 03/1992
Oceanic/Premier 10/1992
Sky Princess/Princess 03/1993
Norway/Norwegian 10/1995
Seaward/Norwegian 05/1996
Independence/American Hawaii 02/1997
Crown/Princess 07/1998
Grand Princess/Princess 02/1999
Regal Princess/Princess 02/2000
Norway/Norwegian 10/2000
Grand Princess/Princess 10/2001
?????/Royal Caribbean 02/2002
Norway/Norwegian 11/2002
Dawn Princess/Princess 02/2004
Dawn Princess/Princess 02/2004
Dawn Princess/Princess 02/2005
Caribbean Princess/Princess 09/2005
Norwegian Wind/Norwegian 02/2006
Caribbean Princess/Princess 09/2006
Emerald Princess on 10/27/07
Pride of Aloha on 2/23/08
Emerald Princess 10/31/08
Freedom of the Seas 4/25/09
Emerald Princess 10/9/10
Norwegian Epic 2/19/11
Emerald Princess 10/29/11
Caribbean Princess 10/31/12
Freedom of the Seas B2B 2/24/13
Emerald Princess 11/9/13
Royal Princess 11/14/14
Caribbean Princess B2B 1/31/15
Emerald Princess B2B 11/7/15
Royal Princess 3/13/16
St. Lucia, West Indies
3,374 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
Originally posted by pops43
Are there any beach clubs that charge a nonimal fee for use of facilities and a pool with food and drink available for purchase? Not looking for AI.
Not really, per se. There are a few non-AI resorts that offer "day passes" that include a day room of available such as Bay Gardens Beach Resort or Royal by Rex. Or Coco Palm, etc.... Some don't include their pool, just lounge chairs, lunch and day room, etc. Best to check directly with property as each one varies.. No beach clubs with pools and such on the island. Pools are associated to hotels, and each hotel has their own rules on who can use them....
St. Lucia, West Indies
3,374 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
Originally posted by tabprincess
We will be in St. Lucia on 3/17 aboard the Royal Princess. We do not want to do a tour as we have done several on past visits. We would like to go to Pigeon Island and heard you can get water taxi to get there. Is that true & if so, any idea how much it will cost? Also, where would we catch it?
Land taxi to Pigeon Island is $35us one way. Water taxi will run approx $75-100us one way....
Syracuse NY
40 Posts
Joined May 2014
Originally posted by reedprincess
Not really, per se. There are a few non-AI resorts that offer "day passes" that include a day room of available such as Bay Gardens Beach Resort or Royal by Rex. Or Coco Palm, etc.... Some don't include their pool, just lounge chairs, lunch and day room, etc. Best to check directly with property as each one varies.. No beach clubs with pools and such on the island. Pools are associated to hotels, and each hotel has their own rules on who can use them....
Thank you, reedprincess
JACKSON, MI
67 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
Originally posted by Dex2015
Hello Everyone,

After going through this forum, I realized that many persons visiting St Lucia have many questions about the destination. My name is Dexter and I live in St Lucia about 15 minutes away from the Cruise Terminal. I love the internet and I’m generally online so I thought I may offer anyone my local opinion on questions about St Lucia. Please note that I don’t work in the tourism industry so I may sometimes have to research certain questions you may have.

Feel free to ask any questions and Id be happy to respond!

Devoulty,
Dex
We visited your beautiful island three years ago. We had a wonderful tour (my favorite on any of the many islands we've visited). The man's name was James, and he drove a Pittsburgh Steelers van. We have friends visiting your island soon, and I'd like to get them in touch with him. By any chance do you know if he's still doing tours?

Lori
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

St. Lucia, West Indies
3,374 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
Originally posted by yalesmom
We visited your beautiful island three years ago. We had a wonderful tour (my favorite on any of the many islands we've visited). The man's name was James, and he drove a Pittsburgh Steelers van. We have friends visiting your island soon, and I'd like to get them in touch with him. By any chance do you know if he's still doing tours?

Lori
Yes, James Touring Serviced com is still alive and well and operating his great tours. You can find him at that website. Enjoy your next visit.
New York
144 Posts
Joined Jun 2012
ReedPrincess and Dex, quick question about speedboats from Castries to Jalousie Beach... how frequently do you see children on these speedboats? We are traveling with a 6-year-old and 1-year-old, in January 2017, and we are considering a speedboat excursion to Jalousie for a nice beach day with the chidlren, and of course the opportunity to view the Pitons. I'm concerned about the bumpiness of the speedboat ride, and the reliability of the boats, the companies, and getting to the ship well before it leaves. I'm wondering if there is any other recommended option, not the long drive, to Jalousie Beach. I'm not sure how much the typical weather for this time of year impacts the water. Thanks in advance!
St. Lucia, West Indies
3,374 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
Originally posted by PGPrendy
ReedPrincess and Dex, quick question about speedboats from Castries to Jalousie Beach... how frequently do you see children on these speedboats? We are traveling with a 6-year-old and 1-year-old, in January 2017, and we are considering a speedboat excursion to Jalousie for a nice beach day with the chidlren, and of course the opportunity to view the Pitons. I'm concerned about the bumpiness of the speedboat ride, and the reliability of the boats, the companies, and getting to the ship well before it leaves. I'm wondering if there is any other recommended option, not the long drive, to Jalousie Beach. I'm not sure how much the typical weather for this time of year impacts the water. Thanks in advance!
The tours are reliable - they Make their living off of visitors including cruise visitors, and wouldn't stay in business if they got their passenegrs back late. Boats are inspected yearly,, operators are licensed and have to take ongoing safety training, Carey life jackets, etc..
Howvwr - a 1 year old would be tough! There are no child seats or the like, most are speedboats with bench seating, and yes it can get bouncy if it's at all rough. The boats move pretty fast, but I personally wouldn't be too comfortable with a 1 and 6 year old and having to hold them all the time, etc... I'm sure folks do it just fine no problems, but you'd have to hold them tight the whole way. Consider instead maybe a catamaran tour with some snorkeling along.g the way, or similar if you don't want to do the land tour. The cats sail much slower, more seating options, etc...
Good luck and enjoy your visit.
New York
144 Posts
Joined Jun 2012
Originally posted by reedprincess
The tours are reliable - they Make their living off of visitors including cruise visitors, and wouldn't stay in business if they got their passenegrs back late. Boats are inspected yearly,, operators are licensed and have to take ongoing safety training, Carey life jackets, etc..
Howvwr - a 1 year old would be tough! There are no child seats or the like, most are speedboats with bench seating, and yes it can get bouncy if it's at all rough. The boats move pretty fast, but I personally wouldn't be too comfortable with a 1 and 6 year old and having to hold them all the time, etc... I'm sure folks do it just fine no problems, but you'd have to hold them tight the whole way. Consider instead maybe a catamaran tour with some snorkeling along.g the way, or similar if you don't want to do the land tour. The cats sail much slower, more seating options, etc...
Good luck and enjoy your visit.
Thank you!
San Diego, California
456 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
Very good point about the small boats on open water.....also NOT recommended for anyone with back or hip issues, or recent surgery. I can speak from experience on that, re a power boat that carried about 25 people in open ocean waters. I did all I could in advance to try to figure out what kind of tour it was, and it sounded like a nature preserves tour. But it turned out to be totally not as described by the ship tour info and personnel. I and the 2 pinched disks in my back paid for that tour twice, including the 5 weeks of aggressive chiropractic that followed.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Next: Tall ship sailing, March 2018

Since 2000: on Sailing Ships
Arabella (7), Diamant (4), Vela (2), Mandalay, Polynesia, Sagitta, Star Clipper (4), Star Flyer, Wind Star (4), Wind Surf (2)

Pre 2000: on small cruise ships
Caribe I, Seabreeze, Oceanbreeze, Renaissance III, Columbia Queen
67 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
Originally posted by Dex2015
Hello Everyone,

After going through this forum, I realized that many persons visiting St Lucia have many questions about the destination. My name is Dexter and I live in St Lucia about 15 minutes away from the Cruise Terminal. I love the internet and I’m generally online so I thought I may offer anyone my local opinion on questions about St Lucia. Please note that I don’t work in the tourism industry so I may sometimes have to research certain questions you may have.

Feel free to ask any questions and Id be happy to respond!

Devoulty,
Dex
Thank you for being so helpful! Couple more questions for you. Does the bus go to Pigeon Island? Does the rainforest charge approx $55 (US) to enter if we do it without a tour? Can you recommend a good catamaran tour company for Jalouise beach from the cruise port. I see land/sea tours with speed boats, but who would you recommend for a smoother ride? How would we get to Anse Mamin beach?
Thanks again.
St. Lucia, West Indies
3,374 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
Originally posted by harlor
Thank you for being so helpful! Couple more questions for you. Does the bus go to Pigeon Island? Does the rainforest charge approx $55 (US) to enter if we do it without a tour? Can you recommend a good catamaran tour company for Jalouise beach from the cruise port. I see land/sea tours with speed boats, but who would you recommend for a smoother ride? How would we get to Anse Mamin beach?
Thanks again.
Not sure when we last saw Dex2015, but I'm happy to help.
Bus does not go all the way to Pigeon Island. You can try to catch a bus in Castries to Cap Estate, then get off at the PI gap and walk in, about 20 minute walk. Buses on the return will be scarce though - our buses do not run on a schedule, they run when they are full. A taxi r/t to PI will be $70us. Serenity offers a "tour" which includes transportation, entrance fee, drinks, and lounge chairs plus rep on site.
You can "enter" the rainforest in different places. BArre D'isle hike, Edmunds Rainforest preserve, etc. If you mean Rainforest Adventures (zip line, aerial team ride, etc) - if you're not doing one of their activites, there's not Pont going there. It's about 40 minutes on way from Port, and cab again, about $40 one way. Buses do run there but serious time constraints! If you go on your own to do an activity without a reservation, you may or may not get in. They do contract with the ships, on the understanding that they won't take independent ship guests.
Check out Mystic Man, Carnival, Jus Sail, Bateau Mygo, or SeaSpray cruises for catamaran sailongs to Soufriere. All offer various tours. Mystic Man' has a great snorkel excursion if you're into that.
You'll want to make up your mind as there's no way you Cando all that in way day. Sheer drive time will rule it out!
Enjoy your visit.
Long Island
567 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
Originally posted by SailorJM
Very good point about the small boats on open water.....also NOT recommended for anyone with back or hip issues, or recent surgery. I can speak from experience on that, re a power boat that carried about 25 people in open ocean waters. I did all I could in advance to try to figure out what kind of tour it was, and it sounded like a nature preserves tour. But it turned out to be totally not as described by the ship tour info and personnel. I and the 2 pinched disks in my back paid for that tour twice, including the 5 weeks of aggressive chiropractic that followed.
question for Reedprincess, I am concerned about the speed speed boat as well however I was looking at the land and sea tour with Spencer or Herod, are these considered speedboats ? If so is there a catamaran tour that does the same without snorkeling ?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Caribbean Princess JUly 2008
Caribbean Princess JUly 2009
Explorer of the Seas August 2010
Celebrity Summit August 2011
Carnival Paradise June 2012
Explorer of the Seas July 2013
Carnival Conquest August 2013
Carnival Splendor July 2014
URL=http://www.cruisecritic.com][/url]