Free beaches in Grand Cayman?

PacificDisMom

All of the beaches are public and free. There will be chair/umbrella rentals, watersport rentals, restrooms and food/drink nearby....7 Mile Beach has several different "named" areas along it's length....there is a bus ($2.50 pp) that will take you to any of the access points!

GC is an easy DIY day!!!

All of the beaches are public and free. There will be chair/umbrella rentals, watersport rentals, restrooms and food/drink nearby....7 Mile Beach has several different "named" areas along it's length....there is a bus ($2.50 pp) that will take you to any of the access points!

GC is an easy DIY day!!!

Wonderful! Thank you!

Do you have any recommendations for a nice area of beach not too far from the ship? (are they all family friendly areas?)

For particularly family friendly beach time I recommend Seven Mile Beach Public Beach. Nice location complete with playground equipment for the kids. Easy to reach using the public bus system (US$2.50 per person, each way). No charge for use of beach. Chair rental and food available for a charge.

All of the resorts will welcome nonguests into the beach side bar and restaurant areas, of course you have to act appropriately and follow any of the dress codes for dining, but the beaches are all public, the resorts can not limit you to using the beach, just their chairs, but many will have a pay for chair rental close by.

Many folks here like to go to Calico Jacks and use the beach right there as they have a public restroom and Calico is a restaurant right on beach.

go to cayman islands dot ky and look under activities and beaches for the full lay out of the beaches.

I will be stopping here on my cruise and plan to go right back to my old resort and use their beach...Marriott...kids liked Coconut Joes restaurant across the street and there is a bus top right at the marriott.

When you say family friendly (all the beaches allow kids of course) are you looking for water toys? Bathrooms? Sandy bottom for swimming? Any place along Seven Mile beach would be family friendly, but what exactly are you looking for for your family?

Thank you Drew, is the stop actually called "Public Beach" so that we will know when to get off? Thanks.

As there are several "Public Beach" locations around the island (including a second one on the same bus route) it is probably best to stick with Seven Mile Public Beach as the descriptor.

All of the resorts will welcome nonguests into the beach side bar and restaurant areas, of course you have to act appropriately and follow any of the dress codes for dining, but the beaches are all public, the resorts can not limit you to using the beach, just their chairs, but many will have a pay for chair rental close by.

Yes, hotels generally welcome non-guests to their restaurants and bars. But a little clarification about the beach is in order.

It is often said that Cayman's beaches are all public, and to a slight extent that is true. It does not mean that everywhere there is sand is public.

The beach is only public from the edge of the water to the "mean high water mark". That is the point where high tide reaches on an average day. And the tide doesn't move much at all in Cayman. The public portion is basically that strip of sand down by the edge of the water that seems to be packed down by wave action. Odds are that if you can put a towel down and it stays dry for more than a few minutes then you are probably above the mean high water mark and not in a public area (unless you go to a designated public beach where all the land between the road and the water is public).

Hotels and condos have occasionally requested non-guests to move on. On rare occasions they have requested police assistance to remove non-guests from the portion of the beach that is not public.

Edited by drew sailbum

Are there any family friendly, free beaches in Grand Cayman?

Or anything else to do free or low in cost other than walking around the shopping area?

Thank you!

Not within walking distance. But have you considered staying on the ship and enjoying the quietness

Not within walking distance. But have you considered staying on the ship and enjoying the quietness

That is always an option, but we figure if we are there anyways we might as well pop off the ship at least for a little bit. We've never been to Grand Cayman before and probably won't get another chance, at least not for many years down the road.

Many folks here like to go to Calico Jacks and use the beach right there as they have a public restroom and Calico is a restaurant right on beach.

go to cayman islands dot ky and look under activities and beaches for the full lay out of the beaches.

I will be stopping here on my cruise and plan to go right back to my old resort and use their beach...Marriott...kids liked Coconut Joes restaurant across the street and there is a bus top right at the marriott.

If you go to the Marriott, can you rent chairs? Do they have a casual restaurant to get something to eat and a few drinks? Bathrooms to use? Thanks!

If you go to the Marriott, can you rent chairs? Do they have a casual restaurant to get something to eat and a few drinks? Bathrooms to use? Thanks!

Sometimes, during the slowest times of the year only, some of the hotels will sell day passes to cruise ship visitors, allowing them use of their facilities. I don't remember if the Marriot is one of those hotels, but I somehow doubt it.

A better option, IMO, is to go to one of the beach areas specifically designed for cruise ship guests, like Royal Palms, Calico Jack's, or Tiki Beach. They have chair/umbrella rentals, restaurants, restrooms and showers, watersports rentals, etc.