Electronics claim and trip insurance?

norwane

Hello~

I did get trip insurance through the trip insurance store (very nice folks!) for my upcoming cruise. I believe that I added on the benefit of electronics coverage. I recall a $100 deductible?

Has anyone ever had to file an electronics claim? Does it cover phone, iPad, laptop? What documentation are they going to ask for if my 5 year old iPad mini goes for a swim?? Granted, I'm not saying that it will, I just want to know what to be prepared for if it does happen!

Thanks!

Hello~

I did get trip insurance through the trip insurance store (very nice folks!) for my upcoming cruise. I believe that I added on the benefit of electronics coverage. I recall a $100 deductible?

Has anyone ever had to file an electronics claim? Does it cover phone, iPad, laptop? What documentation are they going to ask for if my 5 year old iPad mini goes for a swim?? Granted, I'm not saying that it will, I just want to know what to be prepared for if it does happen!

Thanks!

No one on this forum can tell you the facts about your policy because we don't have sufficient info. You must read your contract. Or, call those nice people at the brokerage firm that sold you the policy and ask them to either explain what they sold you or send you the complete policy documents for your review.

If something does happen to your iPad, don't expect to receive a reimbursement that comes close to replacing it...you would most likely get whatever the current value of that 5 year old iPad is today...LESS your deductible.

So, one might consider that you can purchase an "annual" cell phone insurance plan for less then $100 (full insurance (with $50 deductable) for an iPhone is less then $70). Paying an extra $100 for a short cruise just does not sound like the best use of resources. Just consider that for less money you would have insurance for a year....and the price is even cheaper if you purchase multi-year.

Hank

If something does happen to your iPad, don't expect to receive a reimbursement that comes close to replacing it...you would most likely get whatever the current value of that 5 year old iPad is today...LESS your deductible.

I agree. Once you figure the cost of insuring it, the depreciation, and any deductible you're better off just being very careful with it and hope for the best.