Dilemmas - Haleakala, Iao Valley, RTH

dani negreanu

Hi everyone,

I've at last reached the stage in my planning where I'm finally looking at itinerary maps and calculating times...

The biggest "problem" is Maui.

Let's start by saying that we're travelling with another couple, who r kind of "tired" :( :) ... My DH will be the driver (and I as "back-up") during our pre-cruise stay in Waikiki and also during the POA cruise.

First day in Maui - all of us r not early raisers... Renting a car -- let's say we'll be on our way at 10AM.

We have ~4 hours of sightseeing. Why? Because we're booked at OLL, and the other couple wants to backtrack to the ship at 2AM, eat a light lunch, go for a nap, and start (with fresh clothes) at 4AM driving to OLL. No way they could cope with being "outside" from the morning until late evening, when OLL will end and then the drive back to ship...

So for those 4 hours in the first day --

1) shall we drive until the "Garden of Eden/Arboretum" and back (2 hours each way)?

2) Iao valley? 4 hours too much??

3) Paia and the Makawao - surroundings? No Lavender in April...

As for the second day --

Again, I don't see us managing to leave the ship and start our journey before 10AM. All aboard - 5.30PM. Return the car no later than 4.30PM.

That leaves us roughly 6 hours, and since we don't have the Luau in the evening, the other couple is willing to be "outside" the whole day...

Of course I'm thinking Haleakala, at least 3 hours up and back. But, if it rains? Very cloudy? Is it worth seeing it only at the peak, or r there lookouts along the way, should "some" of us decide to turn back?

I understand from another post, that VNP and Haleakala r 2 different "species" of volcanoes and not mutually exclusive, and if we definitely go to VNP, we have to see also Haleakala....

Thanking you in advance for any input, Dani

So for those 4 hours in the first day --

1) shall we drive until the "Garden of Eden/Arboretum" and back (2 hours each way)?

2) Iao valley? 4 hours too much??

3) Paia and the Makawao - surroundings? No Lavender in April...

Any of those would work - but it depends on what your interests are and how much time you want to spend in the car vs. out of it.

Iao Valley is a quick drive from Kahului - I would go there and if you have time, spend some time in Paia, or drive just a bit further to see Hookipa Beach and the surfing action there.

On Day 2, Haleakala is a good option if the weather co-operates (and unless there's an island wide cloud/rain system, chances are probably good that you'll have clear skies at the summit) - suggest heading up there first and if you have time on the way back, stop in Makawao (or Paia if you didn't get there on day 1.) It is definitely worth going to both Haleakala and VNP ... but if you decide against Haleakala, you could spend a day in S. Maui (is anyone interested in beach time?)

Enjoy!:)

Thanks, Susan, appreciate it.:)

We'd like to see surfers.

No beaches for us - we live a mere 10 min drive from a very beautiful Mediterranean beach. Spoiled.

We travel to see different cultures, different sights... and sadly, also, to forget the impossible reality we're living in......

You're welcome.:)

Based on what you've mentioned, I'd definitely include Iao Valley & a stop at the adjacent Kepaniwai Heritage Gardens - a memorial to various cultures that contributed to Hawaii http://www.aloha-hawaii.com/maui/kepaniwai-heritage-gardens/

Haleakala crater offers spectacular scenery - so I'd give that priority as well.

It would be nice if you could convince your friends to spend some time in Lahaina (maybe arrive an hour or so early for the luau) - it's an interesting historic town that you'd probably enjoy seeing some of the sites there. Even if you just spend some time around the court house and banyan tree, it would be worthwhile. http://lahainatown.com/lahaina-historic-walking-tour.php

Hopefully you can make the most of your short time there and not be too anchored down by your 'tired' friends.:)

Just remember that it's COLD on Haleakala.....so bring pants, jackets, etc....windy, too!

Thanks, cb at sea :).

I just saw on the other thread about Haleakala v. VPN that it could be 30 degrees at the peak... Made the conversion to Celsius, so that I'll know how COLD :mad: BRRRRR

I don't have clothes for such cold !!!!

On a HARSH winter we barely reach 55F. When one day, in the whole winter, it's snowing in Jerusalem, which is more elevated than near the beach, where we live, EVERYONE is going the see the snow, & it usually melts...

Tomorrow we're expecting 86-88F.

Any interesting lookout at around 5000 feet elevation as a "compromise"?

I think I'll manage a fleece, a sweatshirt and my faithful Uniqlo :)

Just a thought from my research...you could drop your friends off at 2:00 and take a quick drive over to Kanaha Beach (right by the airport) to watch kiteboarding for a bit and swing back by to pick your friends up at 4:00.

Is the kiteboarding pretty much year round?

Thanks, cb at sea :).

I just saw on the other thread about Haleakala v. VPN that it could be 30 degrees at the peak... Made the conversion to Celsius, so that I'll know how COLD :mad: BRRRRR

I don't have clothes for such cold !!!!

On a HARSH winter we barely reach 55F. When one day, in the whole winter, it's snowing in Jerusalem, which is more elevated than near the beach, where we live, EVERYONE is going the see the snow, & it usually melts...

Tomorrow we're expecting 86-88F.

Any interesting lookout at around 5000 feet elevation as a "compromise"?

I think I'll manage a fleece, a sweatshirt and my faithful Uniqlo :)

Haleakala and "upcountry" is my favorite place of all in Hawaii. But it is much more than just the crater at the summit. The whole drive up is spectacular. There are pull offs at various elevations. We made several stops just to soak in the view, from one coast to another. You can see the whole "shape" of Maui laid out before you. While VNP is barren and rocky, Haleakala/upcountry is lush and green with huge wonderful trees. There are gardens, Lavender farms, and wineries. Yes, it is cold at the summit, but we never spend much time there. The crater can be viewed from both inside and outside the building. Bring a sweatshirt or a light jacket and you will be fine.

As far as IAO Valley, there is nothing there which would warrant 4 hours. 30 minutes to an hour maybe. This would be at the bottom of my to do list.

Haleakala and "upcountry" is my favorite place of all in Hawaii. But it is much more than just the crater at the summit. The whole drive up is spectacular. There are pull offs at various elevations. We made several stops just to soak in the view, from one coast to another. You can see the whole "shape" of Maui laid out before you. While VNP is barren and rocky, Haleakala/upcountry is lush and green with huge wonderful trees. There are gardens, Lavender farms, and wineries. Yes, it is cold at the summit, but we never spend much time there. The crater can be viewed from both inside and outside the building. Bring a sweatshirt or a light jacket and you will be fine.

As far as IAO Valley, there is nothing there which would warrant 4 hours. 30 minutes to an hour maybe. This would be at the bottom of my to do list.

We couldn't have said it better. Agree completely.

Thank you again, Suzan, and Mawvkysc and Brenda & Vance,

I looked at the link provided by Suzan -- average temps during the day, they all seem at least 55F. Great, as we'll probably reach the summit around noon, with stops on the way, as suggested by Brenda & Vance.

Layers, layers -- no doubt -- wishing everyone "dilemmas" like this -- what to wear on a cruise stop on Maui 😃😄😀