How last minute can you actually book?

I know this is a real long shot, but I'm hoping to cruise this weekend 5/26 through 5/29. It's also memorial weekend. I'm aware that the likelihood of landing a cabin this late in the game is pretty low. With that said, how last minute can you actually book? I read somewhere online that there is a 72 hour hard stop due to the cruise lines having to submit passenger data to homeland security. Can anyone comment on this?

J

You'd also need to find a sailing that has availability, not sure how easy that is these days!

It's not easy indeed. I'm hoping for a cancellation on one the sailings, but so far no luck. It's a long shot, but we shall see I guess.

J

They should let you cruise standby like on an airplane. You wait at the terminal and when it is last call to board if someone has not shown up you get their cabin.

This might work if they set up some sort of stand-by registry for the cruise that allows CBP to get the manifest (with potential stand-by guests) at least 24 hours in advance.

They should let you cruise standby like on an airplane. You wait at the terminal and when it is last call to board if someone has not shown up you get their cabin.

Just learned that both RCCL and Carnival allow wait lists. You apply a minimal fully refundable deposit and if something comes available you get first dibs. If you decline for any reason it's refundable.

You can't get past security without showing your SET SAIL PASS, so unfortunately this would not work...but great idea!!!

You can't get past security without showing your SET SAIL PASS, so unfortunately this would not work...but great idea!!!

Sure you can, as long as your name is on the manifest and you have proper ID.

Just learned that both RCCL and Carnival allow wait lists. You apply a minimal fully refundable deposit and if something comes available you get first dibs. If you decline for any reason it's refundable.

:confused: what?

:confused: what?

I was told that the sailings I was inquiring about were sold out. I asked about the possibility of being added to a wait list if something comes available. They told me that they can wait list if I wanted to put a $300 deposit down. If something comes available they will call and at that time I would have the opportunity to agree or decline, if I agree the deposit is applied to the balance for the sailing. If I decline and choose not the cruise the deposit is refunded. If there is nothing available up until the sail date the deposit is also refunded.

I read somewhere online that there is a 72 hour hard stop due to the cruise lines having to submit passenger data to homeland security. Can anyone comment on this?

A final manifest is submitted about 60 to 90 minutes before sailing time.

I was told that the sailings I was inquiring about were sold out. I asked about the possibility of being added to a wait list if something comes available. They told me that they can wait list if I wanted to put a $300 deposit down. If something comes available they will call and at that time I would have the opportunity to agree or decline, if I agree the deposit is applied to the balance for the sailing. If I decline and choose not the cruise the deposit is refunded. If there is nothing available up until the sail date the deposit is also refunded.

My guess is this would not be a "day of" situation unless with the deposit you provide all boarding doc info to have you on a list that would be able to meet the CBP manifest regulations in the manner previously described by Bob's earlier post. I can't imaging a "walk on" standby list could work.

We booked 24 hrs from sailing on Navi on its first cruise out of Galveston. I was just checking cruises online and saw the 5 day offering, it was very cheap also, I think it was under $300 per person, so we called our Nlaws and the 4 of us booked inside guarantees over the phone with the RCCL agent. We got our assignments the next day as we pulled into Galveston around noon. We got the new Virtual Balcony insides. We were happy, but talk about last minute!:o And there was no problem with manifest or docs...we all had our passports. They were waiting for us, we were already on the roles.

I wouldn't count on going to the pier on day of and getting one, unless you have booked like we did online first.

Unfortunately, your statement is totally incorrect. You don't even need the Set Sail Pass to check in. They look that info up and reprint it for you at the check in counter...I know because I have done it.

I was told that the sailings I was inquiring about were sold out. I asked about the possibility of being added to a wait list if something comes available.

How long ago was this?

I wonder if this scenario would work - you ask to be put on the wait list for a sailing that looks sold out because you know it will be canceled/chartered and then collect the OBC when they do.

My BIL/SIL just booked the day before two months ago. They were originally booked on a Carnival cruise and received an email the day before saying that all the stops were canceled due to weather. Needless to say, lots of tears later... they were able to book the Allure for an inside room...ended up getting upgraded to a boardwalk balcony! We couldn't believe it! Major win and Carnival refunded them.

Online TA site I just checked for Miami departures had Norwegian Sky said interiors available for 3 day leaving Friday. When I tried to pick a room it said to call. Maybe you can try that. Or . . .if you have all week the Celebrity Equinox 9 day had balconies available or MSC Divina 7 day or NCL 7 day said they had availability. Not cheap though. Good luck.