Copenhagen Itinerary Ideas

I thought CC readers who are planning a Baltic cruise might be interested in my latest post on Copenhagen. It was an easy city to do everything on our own, and two days – one in a hotel and one on the ship – was a nice amount of time to cover the major attractions. I will be following up with Copenhagen Part 2 and also a post on Tallinn, Estonia.

http://www.themodernpostcard.com/?p=857

Mary

Travel Blog: http://www.themodernpostcard.com

Me too! Love the pics. We'll be cruising from Copenhagen in just a few weeks and will be there one night pre-cruise and two nights post-cruise.

My plan for the pre-cruise afternoon/early evening is to go to the Carlsberg Brewery. It's not far from our hotel and should be do-able in the amount of time we will have.

Post-cruise, we're staying just a block or two from Tivoli, so I'm thinking we will do Tivoli the first evening after getting off the ship. On Monday (our only full day), we're going to do the free walking tour from the town hall and then possibly do the Rick Steves walking tour on our own after a nice lunch somewhere.

Thank you, Kellie! It sounds like you have a terrific itinerary planned for Copenhagen and that you'll be able to walk everywhere from your hotel.

It's such a charming city and a great place to wander. Happy Travels!

Mary

I thought CC readers who are planning a Baltic cruise might be interested in my latest post on Copenhagen. It was an easy city to do everything on our own, and two days – one in a hotel and one on the ship – was a nice amount of time to cover the major attractions. I will be following up with Copenhagen Part 2 and also a post on Tallinn, Estonia.

http://www.themodernpostcard.com/?p=857

Mary

Travel Blog: http://www.themodernpostcard.com

I am considering a Baltic cruise next year and your information is very helpful. Looking forward to reading more.

Very nice blog but I have a small correction.

I'm pretty sure that the pictures you have labeled Nyhavn is in fact the Christianshavn district on the other side of the harbour.

Nyhavn is the small harbour where the canal tour starts and ends (unless you took it from Gammel Strand :-) )

Edited by Danish viking

Steffany 28, Thank you so much! I'm happy this helps with your planning.

Part 2 is now posted...here's the link:

http://www.themodernpostcard.com/?p=894

djacobson, Thanks for reading! Cruising the Baltics is unbelievably wonderful. I would make sure to chose an itinerary with an overnight in St. Petersburg. I also posted reviews of St. Petersburg and Stockholm, which you may find helpful. Good luck and Happy Planning!

Danish viking, Thank you for pointing that out. We did take the canal cruise round-trip from Gammel Strand. Our guide pointed out colorful houses in the Nyhavn district, which completely captivated me, so perhaps I heard incorrectly. I guess I'll just have to return one day to clarify! :)

Mary

Hi Maryogreen,

Thank you for a wonderful reviews we will be in Copenhagen in July for 2 days before the Cruise with Oceania.

You did brought the Copenhagen card, I understand it cover some of the museum and tourist attraction.

Is Tivoli, Canal Tour, Rosenborg, Christenborg, etc included in the Copenhagen card price?

I am thinking of purchase the Copenhagen card at the airport the 48 hours price.

Liana.

Liana, I'm so happy you enjoyed the reviews! Yes, the Copenhagen Card covered all the attractions we visited. It will get you into Tivoli Gardens, but tickets for rides are not included. It also covered the canal boat tour from Gammel Strand. (I'm not sure about other locations.) We purchased ours at the Copenhagen Visitor Center, where you can also get maps and ask questions of the very helpful staff. Here's their link:

http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/copenhagen/tourist-offices/copenhagen-visitor-service

Have a wonderful cruise!

Mary

Thanks for the tips and pictures. I fly out Sunday for a couple of days in Copenhagen before boarding my ship. Hope to do a lot of walking to see the sights, the canal trip looks like a must do also. Hope the weather is good, as long as it doesn't rain I'm happy.

DougH, you are very welcome! I would definitely recommend the canal boat tour...it's a fantastic overview and a great vantage point for seeing Copenhagen. Wishing you sunny skies and a great trip!

Mary

I had a fabulous experience in Copenhagen that I'll share here as it is not enough for a full thread.

I had little time and only wanted to do one thing - have smorrebrod (smorgasbord). I went to a place called Told and Snaps. You can find their website by googling that name plus Copenhagen. It is a few buildings off the picturesque Nyhavn canal row of restaurants - maybe a little less hectic, but I'd make a reservation. It was not crowded at 11:30 on a Sunday, but I overheard the hostess tell someone that they were full up with bookings starting at 1:00. You can make a reservation on their website.

This place was a delight - friendly and so picturesque. They recommended two sandwiches as a serving per person, so I got two. One was a herring with chives, the most thinly sliced radishes ever, and egg yolk. The other was salmon and cream cheese. These were exactly what I had hoped for - extremely good and extremely Danish. Nothing that I was going to find anywhere back home, that's for sure.

They infuse their own aquavit, and the infusions are kept in tagged jars on the counter. I didn't know what to order, so my waitress offered to pair an aquavit with each of my smorrebrod orders (they came out sequentially, not at the same time). I had a horseradish aquavit with the herring and a dill aquavit with the salmon. Both were very good, even though I do not drink a lot of liquor.

I was only going to (able) to do one thing while in Copenhagen for a partial day. I will never regret picking a visit to Told and Snaps as that one thing. It was wonderful. I left, walked the canal and took pictures a bit, found a great ice cream spot up near the Kongens Nytorv Metro stop (Orange Ricotta ice cream with caramel chunks!). Perfect day, and mainly because of my experience at Told and Snaps.

Edited by terracool

Terracool, What a delightful story! That's one of the things I love so much about travel. It's the little things and special moments – often unexpected – that make a place memorable. Thanks for sharing!

Mary

I had a fabulous experience in Copenhagen that I'll share here as it is not enough for a full thread.

I had little time and only wanted to do one thing - have smorrebrod (smorgasbord). I went to a place called Told and Snaps.... They recommended two sandwiches as a serving per person, so I got two. One was a herring with chives, the most thinly sliced radishes ever, and egg yolk. The other was salmon and cream cheese. These were exactly what I had hoped for - extremely good and extremely Danish.

Small but important correction: Smorrebrod does not translate to smorgasbord. In Danish, "Brod" means bread and "smor" means butter. Originally, smorrebrod simply meant bread and butter, but has evolved into an assortment of delicious and elaborate of open-faced sandwiches as Terracool has described.

The confusion is really understandable because there's a linguistic connection between modern English word "smorgasbord" and the word "smorrebrod." What's important for good eating is that smorrebrod means delicious open-faced sandwiches rather than a buffet of hot and cold meats, salads, etc.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

Small but important correction: Smorrebrod does not translate to smorgasbord. In Danish, "Brod" means bread and "smor" means butter. Originally, smorrebrod simply meant bread and butter, but has evolved into an assortment of delicious and elaborate of open-faced sandwiches as Terracool has described.

The confusion is really understandable because there's a linguistic connection between modern English word "smorgasbord" and the word "smorrebrod." What's important for good eating is that smorrebrod means delicious open-faced sandwiches rather than a buffet of hot and cold meats, salads, etc.

Yes "smor" and "brod" - butter and bread. Fond memories for me of afternoons with my Danish grandmother. She laid a small bit of green onion across the buttered homemade bread.