Ash/ Soot on Aft Balconies

No modern ship should be emitting soot or ash. They all use diesel engines and they meet emissions standards. You probably won't see anything at all coming from the stacks -- maybe wavy heat lines under some conditions (because the exhaust is hot), but there shouldn't be any visible plume of smoke or steam like there was many years ago.

No modern ship should be emitting soot or ash. They all use diesel engines and they meet emissions standards. You probably won't see anything at all coming from the stacks -- maybe wavy heat lines under some conditions (because the exhaust is hot), but there shouldn't be any visible plume of smoke or steam like there was many years ago.

Hmmm- I suppose those folks who have seen the ash/ soot on their aft balconies and have had to wipe it up or dirty their clothes must have imagines it :-)

An SC stateroom, aft on the Westerdam, yes, there was some soot on the verandas. Not much, but enough that the Cabin Steward had to daily wipe down the furniture. Even then, I started taking cushions into the cabin when they were not being used and putting them back out when I wanted to use them to insure clothes were not going to get dirty. Irritating? Yes, but not enough that I would refuse a stateroom in that location on that Class of ships.

• 2 weeks later...

I've become spoiled when it comes to location on any ship, and if I can't book either an stern corner suite with a large balcony, 200 sq ft or larger, or a front facing suite with a similar sized balcony, I won't book the ship. Having said that, the soot is a real issue on all the stern suites I've cruised in some degree. Some more, and some less. Incinerators do what they do, turn solids into smoke and ash. A certain amount of ash seems to be inevitable, so if you like the stern staterooms like I do, you accept it, and enjoy. The Zuiderdam, Westerdam, Nieuw Amsterdam, the NCL Sun(an exception to the 200' rule, Escape and Getaway all had the issue, but not enough to ruin our cruising.;)

• 2 weeks later...

We cruised in an aft balcony. I think the benefits outweigh any negatives. I think general dirt tends to stick there. Everything is blown from the sides and some makes it way to the aft areas. The crew cleaned up the entire area a couple of times. It's a no worry issue unless your sailing with a princess who dispises dirt of any kind.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We've sailed in aft corner suites several times on different cruise lines, and we've experienced no such issues. I can only wonder if it's only an issue when on a lower deck(?). The lowest deck we've sailed in an aft is 11, and there was not a trace of soot.

• 1 month later...

I've sailed in aft balconies and wish I could afford it all the time! While there might be some soot, the stewards are aware of this as well and will help take care of it. On the other hand, the view over the wake is one of the most relaxing and enjoyable views on the ship in my opinion and they tend to be quiet as well. Have fun!