Porto Advice

danielundecided

Hi,

On our cruise in April we dock at Porto and having never been before, it'd be wonderful if I could get a bit of help!

-Do cruise ships dock in the new Matoshinos terminal or the Leixoes terminal?

-Where should I go to go to book a Douro river cruise? P&O offer a tour but it involves wine tasting and I think that would be extremely boring for the kids (along with them being under the drink age, of course!)

-How easy is it to get from the dock to Porto centre? I've heard there's a tram but none of us speak Portuguese and we don't know where we'd be docking. Is it easy to find?

(Didn't post in ports as P&O seem to have most the cruises going to Porto)

Thanks,

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by danielundecided

Hi Dan

You shoukd dock at the new terminal which opened in 2015, not sure of the name though.

You can choose either a shuttle bus to the dock gates and have a stroll along the long beach promenade with the usual shops, beach stuff, bars etc or the shuttle to the city centre which takes about 30 mins, nice centre with lots of shops, nice buildings and overall pleasant place to wonder around for a few hours.

Not sure about excursions, we have been twice and did the above each once.

Enjoy

Dave.

We docked at the new terminal at Matoshinos. It is easy to get the shuttle in to the centre, and it is then a short walk down to the river, where you can pick up a river trip easily, and cheaper than PandO.

Having said that, we did an excursion in 2016 on the tram which took us in to the centre, then did a walking tour, followed by a short coach tour. We then had the choice of going back to the ship or being dropped off at the shuttle stop (which we did) , and had another couple of hours free time. We were happy with the value of the trip we did. Porto is a lovely place.

We visited Porto on a cruise a couple of years ago and like others have said it is easy to catch the shuttle into the town and then D I y. If you get the chance visit the special bookshop(I think it may be called Levello??)It opens for half an hour each morning before sales start just to allow people to take photos.Also visit Macdonalds!! There is a great tiled wall inside and again you get people just going in to take photos of it!Thirdly the main rail station is decorated with lovely portugeuse tiles on the inside.Then head down to the riverside.:)

Hi,

On our cruise in April we dock at Porto and having never been before, it'd be wonderful if I could get a bit of help!

-Do cruise ships dock in the new Matoshinos terminal or the Leixoes terminal?

-Where should I go to go to book a Douro river cruise? P&O offer a tour but it involves wine tasting and I think that would be extremely boring for the kids (along with them being under the drink age, of course!)

-How easy is it to get from the dock to Porto centre? I've heard there's a tram but none of us speak Portuguese and we don't know where we'd be docking. Is it easy to find?

(Didn't post in ports as P&O seem to have most the cruises going to Porto)

Thanks,

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi Dan.

Try this...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2015/06/28/one-way-to-do-porto/

You can also take the Hoho bus and then get off and walk down to Ribeira area at the river. The boat trip along the .Douro is very good. All the port cellars are on the opposite side. The tour we did gave you free entry to one of the cellars.