How Quick Is Dis-Embarking at NOLA?

Raxter54

DW and I are sailing on the Serenade at the end of February. I've asked in the Royal Caribbean forum about self dis-embarking and if it is something we should do. The consensus seems to be that it depends on the port and the customs officials. Does anyone here have any experience on self dis-embarking in NOLA? Can we expect an efficient, quick dis-embarking operation? Or is it more of a hit-or-miss situation?

Thanks for any information or advice you can give me.

I went in 2013 and 2014.

The 2013 cruise we had VIP #1 tags to get off, but since we were staying an extra day we opted to wait and got a higher tag number. We had #25 and called around 930am and it took around 15 minutes to get off the ship and through customs. There was no line at all....

The 2014 cruise was different.....nce again, we were staying for two more nights. We decided to leave the #1 tag and just get off the ship whenever we felt like it.....we said we'd get off at 9, or when they called the tag numbers closest to 9. It would have been wise to wait another 15-20 minutes. The line to get off the ship was long, the line to go to customs was even longer, and then getting from customs out was a pain in the behind!!!! We got out and caught a cab and were at our hotel at 1030.....

Next time I go I'll hang out on Lido and wait until they get into the 20's to get off......

I went in 2013 and 2014.

The 2013 cruise we had VIP #1 tags to get off, but since we were staying an extra day we opted to wait and got a higher tag number. We had #25 and called around 930am and it took around 15 minutes to get off the ship and through customs. There was no line at all....

When or where do you get these tags? Do you sign up for them? Are they handed out the day prior to disembarkation?

We just got off the Serenade this morning. They started disembarking at 7:30 and we had #7 tags. They called us at 8:10 and we went through customs and were out the doors at 8:25. Very smooth.

How and where do you get your tags? Are they assigned by deck/cabin #, or by early flight #, or C&A level? Just curious....

How and where do you get your tags? Are they assigned by deck/cabin #, or by early flight #, or C&A level? Just curious....

They give you a form to fill out a few days before departure where you check whether you have a shore excursion, or are carrying off all your bags yourself, or a couple of other choices and they determine which numbers to give to you.

They give you a form to fill out a few days before departure where you check whether you have a shore excursion, or are carrying off all your bags yourself, or a couple of other choices and they determine which numbers to give to you.

Thanks for the answer! Since we don't have an excursion or an early flight, we would probably get a higher number, unless we do self-disembarking. Do we want to rush to get off early, or have a leisurely breakfast and disembark when our number is called? Have to think on that one...

All I know is Platinum, Diamond, and FTTF all get #1 tag to get off the ship. I opted to get a higher number in 2013 so I asked at guest service for a higher number. How, or who, decides what deck gets what tag number after excursions, and the luggage express, I don't know.

The tags are given on the last sea day after the room is cleaned in the morning along with the US Customs forms

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the answer! Since we don't have an excursion or an early flight, we would probably get a higher number, unless we do self-disembarking. Do we want to rush to get off early, or have a leisurely breakfast and disembark when our number is called? Have to think on that one...

I've cruised out of New Orleans many times and always do the self-disembarking option. RCCL has a pretty smooth process. Just wait until you hear the announcement that the ship has cleared and then walk off the ship.

Tag numbers are assigned based on C&A status and when your return flight time is. If you are carrying off your luggage you don't need them.

One good thing is the Serenade is a small ship so it should go quickly.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

DW and I did the self-disembark from the Serenade this morning. We took our bags down to the Tropical Theater at 6:40. We looked out the door to the Promenade Deck and saw the station set up about 30 feet down, with a couple waiting there with their luggage. We lined up behind them and watched the last of the docking. Disembarking started at 7:15, and we were the 3rd and 4th off the ship. There were 3 customs officials in the terminal, and we were out on the street by 7:30. Sweet!

Edited by Raxter54