Is Regent right for my family?

CruiseM1018

Hey all, thank you for your interest in this thread. I'm considering changing the vacation schedule up a bit and taking an all-inclusive cruise. I've heard many wonderful things about this cruise line. I was once booked on a "R" Cruise, back when the company was under Radisson, as a corporate retreat in early 2002. After the September 11th Attack, however, the company didn't want to take any chances and actually cancelled the entire trip! (Can you imagine the cancellation fees? It couldn't have been worth it).

Anyway, I've grown to appreciate and expect high levels of service and quality only found in the upscale hotels and resorts. We typically take our family of four (55,48,19,17) to the hotel chains of the Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons. I love spending time at their properties, but I'm considering a change over to the ocean because sometimes their service and atmospheres are too formal, overbearing and stuffy. We've found on our most recent Ritz stay in Vail, CO that the staff almost expects you and pressures you to flaunt your wealth to other guests and to staff members by presenting massive tips.(!) Even though my family enjoys upscale experiences, we are very easy going and prefer not to be noticed.

We've taken both an NCL and Celebrity cruise as a family in the past, staying in their nicer enclaves of suites. Of course, we had an incredible time but we still wish to try a true luxury cruise ship. I've broken down my concerns into a few questions:

1. What is the service really like? I don't want to be bothered with uncomfortably high amount of service just so that I can leave a good tip behind. At the same time, I wish to be catered to when I do need something.

2. How would you compare the experience to that of the land-based chains that my family has grown to expect?

3. Would older teens be welcomed on this line? They're basically old, old men :)

4. What accommodations would you recommend for our family of four? We wouldn't want to spend more than $1k per person, per night if at all possible.

5. If you believe there is a better cruise line fit for our needs, could you please make that recommendation?

Thank you all so much for your input and time!! Let me know if you would like any other information.

-M-

You should fit right in. We started cruising Regent when it was Radisson, with our boys who were then 17 and 12. We were in our late 40's. They loved it, and we have sailed with them many times since though recently mostly just as a couple since they are now grown.

We have stayed at many Ritz Carltons, Four Seasons, etc. Much prefer the atmosphere on Regent.

For one thing, everything is pretty much included. There is no tipping, so not a problem there. The staff are there when you need them, but don't bother you otherwise.

When we sailed with the boys, we got 2 regular suites, side by side. Another option would be getting one of the large 2 bedroom suites, but that would be more expensive. We do our own air, so get the credit for that.

My sons both love Regent. But they were not the usual teenagers. They liked eating really good food and didn't mind talking to adults. They could entertain themselves with books for hours, and they liked excursions that had some educational value. It sounds like yours are similar.

Only one problem--you may get addicted!

Great idea to start this thread; I hope that you get some good responses so I can consider cruises with our older grandkids.

My DW and I loved our 6 Regent trips (2 more booked). Not only the "all-inclusive" aspects but also: interesting fellow passengers, the genuine friendliness of the crew, the terrific cabins (especially the beds and walk-in closets), and the size of Mariner and Voyager (not too big and not too small). The adults will love it.

Complication is the teenagers! Maybe, Regent's "cousin" line Oceania would be better. I'm taking my 17 year-old granddaughter on a Regent 30 day Baltic/Norway this June. We got a terrific fare for her as she is under 18 and will share our room Your boys would need a second cabin but any of the "smaller" cabins would be great for them. Our GD should do fine with us as she is very personable and loves to sing, dance (there's Kareoke and the dance troupe is often on duty in a lounge) and hike with me. For her, our up-coming itinerary is for all new places.

While people of any age are welcome on Regent, IMO, it is important to take the youngest children/young adults into consideration first. What will the 19 and 17 year olds be happy doing during the day and in the evening? Keep in mind that there are no special places for young people to hang out (except during the summer or school breaks when special accommodations are made for them. I know some adults in their 40's and 50's that find Regent boring so this is something to really think about.

If your cruise is shorter (7-10 nights), the odds are that there will be younger adults on board while on the longer itineraries, the age skews higher. When school is in session in the U.S., there are likely to not be other teenagers or young adults on board. On the other hand, if your cruise is port intensive, the odds are that everyone will be so busy during the day, they will want to go to sleep fairly early in order to rest up for the next long day. Many young people are happy to go back to their cabin and watch movies, read, etc. while others hope to make new "friends" on board so they have people of their own age to talk to. It really depends upon the young person. I doubt if I would have enjoyed Regent when I was in my upper teens, twenties or even thirties. It would have been much too sedate for me. Everyone is different.

The service is excellent -- not overbearing. Regent passengers tend to be very well traveled and are interesting to talk to. It is difficult for me to compare a luxury cruise line with a luxury hotel as they are so different. We rarely dine or hang out much at the hotel we are staying at (and typically do not stay at a hotel for more than a couple of nights). Even within the Ritz Carlton and Four Seasons hotels, there is quite a difference in the properties -- depending upon where in the world you are staying.

My suggestion is to continue to do your homework and make sure that you consider the needs of the young men. It is a lot easier to please adults on a luxury cruise line than younger people (in my opinion).

Thank you all so much for your input! The line looks to be good for us and while I requested a quote, I'm also looking more into Oceania cruises. How well do you think they compare?

If you are looking at the larger ships (Riviera and Marina), they are a better size for families because there is so much "public space". Unlike on Regent, there are many areas where young people, for instance, can sit and chat without being in a bar. While you state that you prefer the upscale hotels, Oceania's large ships are gorgeous, have great service and food. On the other hand, there are areas that are less fancy. Their cafeteria style dining venue is popular because you can get lobster, sushi and many other items on a daily basis and you do not have to dress up. They have four specialty restaurants while Regent has only two so there are more choices.

If being all-inclusive does not matter to you, Oceania could be a good fit. (Note: soft drinks, juices, etc. are included on Oceania).

You mentioned that you asked for a quote on Regent and will on Oceania. Hope that you are using a TA that is familiar with booking both cruise lines and that they give you a percentage back on your booking and/or some on board credit. Having a good TA will also insure that you make the right decision in terms of which cruise line suits you and your family the most.

Speaking of our experience - every summer we take the grandchildren/nephews on a Regent cruise - they have been on quite a few so far. They started when they were 10 and 12 and now they are 14 and 16. THEY LOVE IT!!

We go during the summer when there are other children, but they do not spend much time with the other kids. They have enjoyed every excursion they have ever taken, they enjoy getting dressed for dinner every night, they enjoy trying new food and they really enjoy meeting many new people. They attend the lectures and are always finding things to do. I never once heard from them that they are bored and there is nothing to do.

We usually take a larger suite that has 1 1/2 bathrooms and they bring in a rollaway bed for one of the kids and the other sleeps on the sleeper sofa. We have offered to get them their own suite that is connecting but they prefer it this way.

There are some people on this board who believe children/teenagers should not be allowed on Regent - we strongly disagree. If you teach a child to behave like an adult, they will grow up to be a well behaved adult. Even when they were much younger, they were insulted if presented with a children's menu - they love being on Regent because it provides them the opportunity to try many new foods without any serious consequence if they do not like it.

They have met many people on the ships, most of them old enough to be their grandparents - they have learned how to conduct themselves properly and hold a conversation. These are opportunities most young people never get to experience.

The only time they are playing computer games on the ship is if they wake up before the rest of the family - otherwise they are much too busy.

I think your boys will have a great time on Regent, esp if you chose an itinerary that is port intensive. If a specific tour is only scheduled for 1/2 day, we make arrangements to stay in town and return to the ship later on by taxi, we try to absorb as much as possible.

You may not be aware, some of the summer itineraries have very special pricing for those aged 18 and under.

Don't let other people scare you - for a number of reasons, the children will not be joining us this summer and they are truly upset and constantly mention that they wish they could take another Regent cruise, hopefully your boys will feel the same after their first cruise.

gnomie :)

Edited by gnomie1

Gnomie:

Sorry to hear that your grandkids are not available this summer.

BUT I AM!!!

I can be just as cute and don't complain much. Please let me know so I can tell my wife I can't make her family reunion. :D

Z and no TB

Edited by Zqueeze1

Gnomie:

BUT I AM!!!

I can be just as cute and don't complain much. Please let me know so I can tell my wife I can't make her family reunion. :D

Z and no TB

It is actually my Mom's grandkids and my nephews, but I am sorry to say that there are many people in front of you who have already volunteered to take their place. A number of my friends have written/talked to my Mom and have offered to be substitute children/grandchildren.

Sorry to say - I don't think you can pass in the cuteness factor - on our cruise last summer, there were three little girls who had the eyes for my younger nephew and it was the cutest thing to watch in action - they would bring him cookies and follow him wherever he went.

I'll put your name on the list!!

My kids cruised with us on Regent from ages 10 and 12 to 20 and 22. They both, one girl and one boy, love Regent. Ignore the people on the board that tell you otherwise. Your kids will love it. There is plenty to do, the crew will treat them very well, and you will have great dinner conversations and family time with them. We have many treasured memories from our 100 plus family days cruising. I would get your boys their own suite. Even on Regent the standard cabin is just too small for four. The other great option would be the Master Suite which has two bedrooms that share a living area.

I don't think that anyone is trying to tell the OP not to sail Regent with children -- only that they need to consider the situation. During the summer, for instance, there are quite a few children on Regent ships (depending upon the itinerary -- many more on Alaska itineraries than Australia itineraries). And, when sailing on cruises that do not offer children programs (children meaning through age 17), there may be few, if any other young people on board. Depending upon the interests of your child, this could be an issue (or not).

While it is important to consider the interests of children, it is equally important to look at the interests of adults that prefer sailings without children. Some of us prefer adult oriented cruises and make a point to book cruises when school is in session. My suggestion is to keep in mind the "preferences" of both those of us who prefer cruises with and without children.

It is actually my Mom's grandkids and my nephews, but I am sorry to say that there are many people in front of you who have already volunteered to take their place. A number of my friends have written/talked to my Mom and have offered to be substitute children/grandchildren.

Sorry to say - I don't think you can pass in the cuteness factor - on our cruise last summer, there were three little girls who had the eyes for my younger nephew and it was the cutest thing to watch in action - they would bring him cookies and follow him wherever he went.

I'll put your name on the list!!

Ok Gnomie, I'll go to the reunion instead. Besides, I can't pull off "cute" anymore at 54 years of age. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 weeks later...
Gnomie:

BUT I AM!!!

Z and no TB

Zqueeze!

This may be your lucky day - my Mom has found a cruise that she would like to take this summer but due to work commitments, I am unable to go - should I volunteer you??

Zqueeze!

This may be your lucky day - my Mom has found a cruise that she would like to take this summer but due to work commitments, I am unable to go - should I volunteer you??

LOL. I'll have to take a raincheck on that, since I suspect The Boss would not be too happy if I went on a Regent cruise without her. :D

Z and TB

LOL. I'll have to take a raincheck on that, since I suspect The Boss would not be too happy if I went on a Regent cruise without her. :D

Z and TB

OK - I understand, good thing I didn't mention this to Mom a get her hopes up - maybe next time!! :D