Insurance, not through Carnival

emandjennsmom

I am curious to see if anyone has used an outside provider (not Carnival) for their trip insurance? If so, can you recommend a company and give me some details of your experience?

I'm looking for a less costly option for six people.

Thanks!

Go to www.insuremytrip.com and you can research a number of companies. You can get better coverage for less money this way.

I buy trip insurance for every cruise we take but I won't buy it through the cruiseline.......

Pete is right about not going through the cruise line itself.

There is a section on Cruise Critic devoted to insurance. Click Here to get there.

I have used Insuremytrip.com to compare and purchase for my cruises. I did have to make a claim for cancellation due to death and had no problem. I don't really remember the company.

Do read the fine print though. It's there for a reason.

Charlie

We have used travel guard a number of times. The last time was last Oct. when we had to cancel a cruise because my hubby became ill. They gave us a full refund...the only thing we needed was a note from the Dr. explaining why we couldn't go. We would definitely use them again!

I am curious to see if anyone has used an outside provider (not Carnival) for their trip insurance? If so, can you recommend a company and give me some details of your experience?

Thanks!

On the flip side I have used the cruise insurance only for the last five cruises. In Canada ( some might disagree) cruise insurance is sometimes a lot cheaper than getting insurance from other companies . I've been told that some companies (like RBC Insurance ) are very hard to deal with and pay out of claims is slow.

Thanks!

If you are military, or have family who is/was, check out the travel insurance through USAA (Travel Insured). They are very affordable and offer different plans. I've only had to file a claim once, and it was pretty painless.

Good luck!

A lot of credit cards these days also provide partial trip insurance for no additional cost, as long as your CC is used to pay for the trip. You might check with your CC company to see if any type of insurance is included, and what it covers. (It's usually minimal coverage, but might suffice for your needs)

As a Canadian I use the Cruise Line.

I have never had to put in a claim.

The cost for an all inclusive plan was cheaper than any other providers offering their lowest prices.

I do have Visa coverage's & work coverage's but I pay the extra for peace of mind that everything is covered from luggage to...

Recently booked a cruise for Feb 2014, first time I used a PVP instead of a TA. Bought Carnival's insurance. Then started thinking about all the threads on here about never buying the cruise line's insurance. I went to Squaremouth.com and checked out other companies. For a few dollars less than Carnival was charging, and a lot more coverage, bought insurance. Went back and canceled Carnival's insurance. It was pitiful by comparison!

Squaremouth's website is very well set up - easy to see all the companies and compare coverages and prices, and then to purchase. Each company has lots of customer reviews, too.

As a Canadian I use the Cruise Line.

I have never had to put in a claim.

The cost for an all inclusive plan was cheaper than any other providers offering their lowest prices.

I do have Visa coverage's & work coverage's but I pay the extra for peace of mind that everything is covered from luggage to...

I have Visa and work coverage as well . The problem with work coverage that it has a life time $250k medical limit . I have to pay the bill and then claim from the insurance carrier after the Provincial Plan pays me there part. That means it could take up to six months before I get all my money

We always buy insurance. Usually thru the cruise line. But I got smart this time and went to insure my trip.com and got a plan with LOTS more coverage and an excellent rate. Basically got insurance for all three of us for what one costs on Carnival. Hope we don't need it but glad we have it! We have military friends that got an excellent rate on USAA.

Go to www.insuremytrip.com and you can research a number of companies. You can get better coverage for less money this way.

I buy trip insurance for every cruise we take but I won't buy it through the cruiseline.......

I use them as well, but only when I fly to a port. If I drive to the port, i don't bother. If you have or know of possible problems in your life...get it. But, not through the cruise lines..

We always buy our insurance thru tripinsurancestore.com and have been completely satisfied every time. Had to cancel a trip due to a serious medical condition that happened 2 weeks after final payment was made. Reimbursed for air and cruise fare. Used Travel Safe insurance and it was very simple.

Archived